WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'll say it again: I would never presume to tell someone that they don't belong here or that they have no right to post. My point was not that my opinion carried more weight, but that I found it rich that a guy who doesn't even financially support this site was giving the orders. Now I may be voted off the "WB Island" for my opinions on mooching, but it will be by a moderator and not those who disagree with what I have to say.

If you don't like what I have to say (and some people don't) - then don't read my posts.

No one is saying you don't have a right to post. It was not an order. It's clear you don't support the thread so please don't post anything in this thread. Again, not an order. It just seems logical. I haven't posted since last night and you're still calling me "mrmoocher."

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    No one is saying you don't have a right to post. It was not an order. It's clear you don't support the thread so please don't post anything in this thread. Again, not an order. It just seems logical. I haven't posted since last night and you're still calling me "mrmoocher."

Thanks everyone!
    Actually, I was not referring to you when I made that statement about orders. And LOL for what it's worth, you are probably getting far more donations because some are ticked at me, than you would have otherwise. Whatever.

So the big question is what gear you have?

Images

See what you started MrMiner2? (Just kidding). Hiking is great and you live in a fantastis area where there are even great day hikes to get you warmed up. See ya on the AT.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemjm View Post
    In an effort to demonstrate to teens and college students I work with how inexpensive it can be to put together a backpacking kit I put on a demonstration....The first kit with fancy lightweight gear, down, silnylon, titanium and shiny newer looking stuff totaled out at approximately $1050.00. My dirt-bag cheap alternative with the $5.00 thrift store back pack, $3.00 thrift store sleeping bag, homemade alkie stove and beer can pot, gatorade bottle, homemade hammock and cheap WalMart blue pad and tarp totaled out at $53.00....
    Unclemjm-

That's a nice exercise. I don't doubt that that the retail kit is a lot nicer, but that the dirt-bag options were "suitable for backpacking" (words of the OP), although "suitable" is subjective, depending on one's standards. I'm curious if you could give an estimate of the relative weights of the two kits, given that much of what we spend is not to just to get gear that is better, but lighter. I know a lot of people start with cheap and heavy gear and then gradually replace one piece at a time with purchases often evaluated on a $ per oz saved basis. What is your starting weight for the cheap stuff?

And a word to the OP - don't be offended by the cheese comment. That's an on-going joke in WBland. One other hint. PLEAAAASE don't ask about bringing a gun

Happy Trails

Haha I actually just laughed at the cheese thing because it was ridiculous haha

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2:1286075
    Haha I actually just laughed at the cheese thing because it was ridiculous haha
    Cheese is never ridiculous! Its a very serious topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Cheese is never ridiculous! Its a very serious topic.
    That's right,shredded or block,Velveeta or wiz.And each ones relative freshness in relation to the humid conditions found on the At in July,these are all very important with regard to the many variables.

I know all the powers of cheese on the trail. Just made me laugh, even he said he hoped I wasn't offended. I mean I would definitely take a monster box of cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    That's right,shredded or block,Velveeta or wiz.And each ones relative freshness in relation to the humid conditions found on the At in July,
    Best conditions for packing your cheese into your peanut butter and making peanut butter cheese spread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Unclemjm-
    I'm curious if you could give an estimate of the relative weights of the two kits, given that much of what we spend is not to just to get gear that is better, but lighter. I know a lot of people start with cheap and heavy gear and then gradually replace one piece at a time with purchases often evaluated on a $ per oz saved basis. What is your starting weight for the cheap stuff?
    I can ball park it for you but not going to be able to give you exacts. I realize I may be speaking heresy here, but I didn't weigh my gear and although I do like lighter stuff, I don't compromise comfort too much. In short, if I were seriously worried about pack weight, I should first lose the extra 30lbs I'm carrying around my waist.

Now, having said that...

The more expensive newer gear included a Nimbus Ozone pack, Hennessey Hammock w/tarp, JacksRBetter top and under quilt, and an assortment of other stuff. The last time I took this kit out on a cold weather trip I was at 32lbs including food and fuel, but not water.

The thrift store/cheap skate (and I use that term affectionately since I are one) kit included a Jansport school book bag, an REI down bag circa 1972, a homemade Risk Test hammock, a ccf pad from Wally world, and a bulky blue tarp like one might cover a load in the back of the pick up. The basics that I listed were not so much heavier as bulkier. My guess is this set up may have been about 5-7 lbs over the other.

Full disclosure: I did not find all the parts in one thrift store but in several over many months. The key to me on thrift store shopping is to go often, shop in different towns, (even on vacation), shop during different seasons.

Also

For me it's easier to upgrade as I have funds, find deals, or learn new DIY skills than to start right out with everything I need ready to go.

I was not intending to lecture the OP either but to give some suggestions and hope for a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Best conditions for packing your cheese into your peanut butter and making peanut butter cheese spread.
    dude i eat like a billy goat,but that there is totally de-custing,but I'll try anything once.Mr miner were gonna try hard to get you out on the trail,and as mentioned earlier,there is some fantastic hiking in your area.Not all of us thru-hike or even sleep out,plenty of good day hikes,till you get your gear worked out.But one thing for sure and the best thing you could have done for yourself is to come here to WB there is a wealth of knowledge here,good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo Rodriguez View Post
    I have a Jetboil stove that you can have found it on the trail email me ed_rodriguez52@yahoolcom if you want it
    Money is tight. He should use a pop can alcohol stove. Not canisters. My opinion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    And LOL for what it's worth, you are probably getting far more donations because some are ticked at me, than you would have otherwise. Whatever.
    Better watch out, Mr. Miner, ... you know what it means when a woman says "whatever"!!!

5_deadly_things.jpg

And like Romney somehow claiming credit for the auto industry rebound after writing "let Detroit go bankrupt," she's somehow taking credit now for you getting donations after gratuitously insinuating how nefarious your intentions are!

Sometimes, ... it's best just to shake your head and laugh.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

It never hurts to ask for something. The worst thing that could happen is someone could say no. I need someone to slice cheese and place it on crackers for me while I go down the trail. Please send me your cheese slicing resume so I can consider the best candidate for the job.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemjm View Post
    For me it's easier to upgrade as I have funds, find deals, or learn new DIY skills than to start right out with everything I need ready to go.
    I agree. Starting out with basic cheep stuff and upgrading gradually as you get a few $, experience, and opportunity is a great strategy for one starting with no money. Plus if he saves enough on gear he can afford lots of cheese.

The lighter your gear, the more cheese you can carry.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Mr Miner, .....you asked respectfully and politely,....

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. ......
    RainMan

Yes, MrMiner has been quite polite, even after being critisized and chastised.

And, up here in West Michigan, my mom visits 6 second hand stores a week looking for stuff for her antique business. She also keeps an eye out for used equipment for our scout troop, but rarely finds anything....

However, there have been some other creative suggestions on here. Our local outfitter rents backpacks at $5/day....

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

From an article on bpl about putting together the big four for less than a $100 and keep the weight reasonable. This gear will not be long lasting but it will work.

Listed Weight (lb / kg) Actual Weight (lb / kg) Price
    Backpack 6.4 / 2.9 3.4 / 1.5 $35.00*
    Tent 3.4 / 1.5 2.8 / 1.3 $24.00*
    Sleeping Bag 3.0 / 1.4 2.6 / 1.2 $9.00
    Sleeping Pad 1.0 / 2.2 1.2 / 0.5 $10.00
    Total 13.8 / 6.3 10.0 / 4.5 $78.00
    *Available online only.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++