WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Anyone want to donate backpacking gear??

I know this is a long shot, but I figure many are well off and may have gear that they don't want or use. Anyways I am a 21 yr old broke college student who loves the outdoors. I'd love to go backpacking. I uses to borrow my friends, but none of my friends (still here have anything). Thanks for anything!

Images

Forgive me for butting in, but... Start saving your pennies. Living in a college town and working with college kids, I am amazed by the claims of extreme poverty, while said college kid chugs his 5th Mt Dew of the day or buys yet another case of Natty Light. Just spend less money on junk and put it towards good gear the first time.

Spend some time looking over this site at the many threads on DIY gear. You can make a cook stove for pennies, along with any number of items.

I do have some water bottles and a cook pot if you want them. Just send me your mailing address and they are yours.

ETA -- I also have a tarp if you want it. However, you can never sell these items, you must give them to a deserving person when you upgrade your gear.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 05-07-2012 at 19:26.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Think I can help out with a UL toothbrush. Used, but the handle is cut off to just the right size.

Images

I have an old Camp Trail Wilderness Backpack that I'll send you if you pay for shipping . It's a 6 lb internal frame .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I'll throw in a snake bit kit.

Want an old Steripen with a disco flashing red light? You supply the batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I KNEW you were gonna donate that snake bite kit after all the talk and praises about it the other day.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Now that's funny!

It has been a good snake bite kit,and has never been used.

It has been a good snake bite kit,and has never been used.
    You know.... if you are really serious about helping this guy get started out on the right foot (feet) you could donate a pair of those socks with the rockets on them so he could BLAST down the trail like you do.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 05-07-2012 at 20:16. Reason: typo
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Haha I truly do appreciate all of your kindness(es). and Tuckahoe that is a very fair assumption because you are right in assuming that. However, I do have a job, but all that mostly goes towards school fees, living, food, etc. Haha as far as drinking, mostly water for me. I am completely sober from all intoxicants since 5 months ago (got in trouble. Not a bad kid, just an unfortunate situation). Anyways, looks like I'll legally need to be sober for 3 years, so hiking will hopefully now consume most of my downtime. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    Haha I truly do appreciate all of your kindness(es). and Tuckahoe that is a very fair assumption because you are right in assuming that. However, I do have a job, but all that mostly goes towards school fees, living, food, etc. Haha as far as drinking, mostly water for me. I am completely sober from all intoxicants since 5 months ago (got in trouble. Not a bad kid, just an unfortunate situation). Anyways, looks like I'll legally need to be sober for 3 years, so hiking will hopefully now consume most of my downtime. Thanks!
    Hey man glad you've made a decision to stay sober,sounds like your doing great.Honestly I don't own a lot of gear,or anything I would be able to give up,all my extras have gone to my son so.... to White Blaze a place where all questions get answered,and I was serious about the snake bite kit.I've decided to carry it No more.But should I think of any anything more,I'll PM you.Do you climb?

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    You know.... if you are really serious about helping this guy get started out on the right foot (feet) you could donate a pair of those socks with the rockets on them so he could BLAST down the trail like you do.
    It's a lie,I'm as slow as they come.I get passed by the mall walkers,butt in there lies the reward.

Yes I try to do a little bit of everything. I actually am trying to get back into climbing. I've been doing alot of bouldering lately....in my chacos haha or the sweaty shoes everyone rents out to use at the indoor campus climbing walls.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    Yes I try to do a little bit of everything. I actually am trying to get back into climbing. I've been doing alot of bouldering lately....in my chacos haha or the sweaty shoes everyone rents out to use at the indoor campus climbing walls.
    Yep done a little bouldering myself.If you are trying to put a rack togeather,let me know what you need,I just may have it to give to you,no strings free.PM if in need of.

Oh and thanks! Everything is wonderful. Just got my semester grades back...3.68 yuh yuh

Miner - You can usually obtain hiking, camping, and backpacking gear at yard sales for less than what the shipping will cost. You can also buy it for a song at Goodwill or Salvation Army. And you missed a great thread on trail mooching a few days ago. I was a poor, broke college student myself. I worked two part-time jobs as a receptionist and a waitress. You joined today and already are seeking "donations." I'm sorry, but I don't think that's cool. You may not even be a student. Unfortunately, I am sure you will find a few marks here. I'm just giving you MY opinion. Now maybe I will rot in hell for speaking out, but I have found that those truly in need do not go on websites with their hand out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yep I got some good stuff at yard sales. My Thermarest seat cushion for fifty cents and lasted me my entire NOBO hike. Check also goodwill, etc.
    But I have two pair of liner socks. Also I need to get rid of three pair of Spenco Polysorb hiker insoles, size 3 (Mens 8-9) if anyone wants them. Unused, of course

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Miner - You can usually obtain hiking, camping, and backpacking gear at yard sales for less than what the shipping will cost. You can also buy it for a song at Goodwill or Salvation Army. And you missed a great thread on trail mooching a few days ago. I was a poor, broke college student myself. I worked two part-time jobs as a receptionist and a waitress. You joined today and already are seeking "donations." I'm sorry, but I don't think that's cool. You may not even be a student. Unfortunately, I am sure you will find a few marks here. I'm just giving you MY opinion. Now maybe I will rot in hell for speaking out, but I have found that those truly in need do not go on websites with their hand out.
    I respect that and see where you are coming from. All one can hope is that I am honest and not trying to pull a fast one. And it's unfortunate that there are nice people? I really do understand where you're coming from, I just know I help people out with things I don't use anymore and figured others may have old things laying around. I don't EXPECT anything and trust me I'll be on the forum a lot from now on. Apparently you just joined two weeks ago and you are judging me, or just bringing negativity. I'm truly sorry you feel that way. Sorry if I came off rude or anything like that.

Also, I have been checking craigslist, etc. and emailing everyone about the gear they have if it is the ad. Been a while now and haven't had any luck with actual gear suitable for backpacking.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++