WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grand Canyon trip report (from south rim)

Finally got around to compiling a trip report for 2012 GCNP hike from south rim. 5 day / 4 night route was: Hermit Trail to Tonto Trail down South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch, then back up Bright Angel. Great route--very doable and good intro to the canyon. We only had to deal with one dry camp, so minimum water hauling even though desert hike. Highly recommend this route if you're looking to plan a first trip there…no "bucket list" is complete without a trip to the Grand Canyon!

Details and pictures at: www.venturetrails.com/gcanyon.html

I did a similar trip many years ago. You bring back great memories. Your photos are impressive, the lighting is awfully tough.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Great Pictures

Love the pics! Thanks so much for sharing!

Looks awesome! Definitely on my "bucket list."

Did you get a back country permit in person or did you reserve one online far in advance? I have a site reserved on top for a few days in the end of March in hopes that I will be able to get a back country permit in person (getting one in advance via fax was not available since I did not send it in time). I am crossing my fingers that all my days camping will not be on the rim.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I've never done any overnight camping in the canyon but I have done 2 rim-to-rim-to-rims where I stayed at the lodge on the north rim both nights. Have also done 1 rim-to-rim. Very memorable trips with stellar views. I especially enjoyed the ascents on the north Kaibab trail.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Great report! I hiked from the south to north rim last year in early June and hoping to get back to some of the lesser used trails sometime over the next few years. April sounds like much better weather compared to early June.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Wonderful. I've been researching/planning for possible GC hikes in the future. Unfortunately, my short term options are for solo hikes in the summer. Not sure if such an itinerary would be good for that kind of hike. I suppose others do it and survive?

Thanks for the trip report.

This pic is great as it shows a Dana Design pack I think. Or maybe it's a Mystery Ranch G5000???

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Did you get a back country permit in person or did you reserve one online far in advance? I have a site reserved on top for a few days in the end of March in hopes that I will be able to get a back country permit in person (getting one in advance via fax was not available since I did not send it in time). I am crossing my fingers that all my days camping will not be on the rim.
    Well if you make I'll see you there - I got my permit for the last week in march. I faxed in and got my third choice. We opted for one of the hotels for the night before we leave rather than camping otherwise might have seen you at mather too.

To the OP - Nice trip report. Like the photos! Can't wait to get out there. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I've never done any overnight camping in the canyon but I have done 2 rim-to-rim-to-rims where I stayed at the lodge on the north rim both nights. Have also done 1 rim-to-rim. Very memorable trips with stellar views. I especially enjoyed the ascents on the north Kaibab trail.
    Yep, that stretch of N. Kaibab trail from Cottonwood camp to the North rim is one of the most fantastic trails anywhere, amazing in so many ways. We're heading back in april for our 12th annual rim-rim-rim, can't wait. early-mid april is the best compromise of not-too-cold-or-snowy on the rims and not-too-baking-hot at the river. alas, I have never spent a single night in the GC either, even after having crossed it 22 times.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, that stretch of N. Kaibab trail from Cottonwood camp to the North rim is one of the most fantastic trails anywhere, amazing in so many ways. We're heading back in april for our 12th annual rim-rim-rim, can't wait. early-mid april is the best compromise of not-too-cold-or-snowy on the rims and not-too-baking-hot at the river. alas, I have never spent a single night in the GC either, even after having crossed it 22 times.
    I've done it mid-October both times. The rim-to-rim was in April. I suspect that the weather is similar in April and October. Start that morning at around 30d and within 10 minutes you are in t-shirt. 80d at the bottom.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Cool trip report. Excellent pics. I've got two GC trips in the works this year - March & May. The first is over Spring Break w/ my Boy Scout Venture Crew. The 2nd is with some guys I used to work w/ before we all retired. This will be my 13th & 14th time to the GC. Love that place. So awe-inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    We applied at midnight on the earliest date in advance (4 months I think) and were lucky to get our first choice. Good luck on your in-person request. Either way there are plenty of good day hikes to do from the rim and it's an amazing place whether from above or below.

Images

Nice trip report! I love hiking in the Grand Canyon and the southwest- especially Arizona and Utah.

Images

I did a similar hike in 2011. One of the great experiences of my life! My father, brother, uncle and I cooked in the inner canyon! It was 129 degrees in the sun and 90+ at night! We ended up cowboy camping. I brought a tent because I was afraid of Scorpions and rattle snakes curling up next to me in the middle of the night... In that heat, I figured if a rattler wanted me, they could have me!

Quote Originally Posted by Venture Flt View Post
    We applied at midnight on the earliest date in advance (4 months I think) and were lucky to get our first choice. Good luck on your in-person request. Either way there are plenty of good day hikes to do from the rim and it's an amazing place whether from above or below.
    On one of my many visits, I asked the Rangers @ the Backcountry Office how they do their permits. The park service gets a ton of faxed permit requests the day of & even a few days before. They take all the permits and shuffle them up randomly. They pull the first permit & they get their first option. They keep pulling permits & plugging people in until there are no further vacancies.

Personally, I fax my permit request the day before you're supposed to. If you fax on the first 'official' fax day, you'll get consistent busy signals. It may take you a while to get through.

To those who have never been to the GC, schedule a trip there. It is awesome. I've got about 330 miles in the canyon so far. Got two trips scheduled this spring (March & May).

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Wonderful. I've been researching/planning for possible GC hikes in the future. Unfortunately, my short term options are for solo hikes in the summer. Not sure if such an itinerary would be good for that kind of hike. I suppose others do it and survive?
    If summer is your only option, don't let the heat scare you. You can not only survive, but have a great time. One of my favorite Grand Canyon hikes was in late June. It was dreadfully hot, so my wife and I hiked out in the middle of the night. We broke camp at Bright Angel at 2 a.m. and reached Indian Garden by dawn. We were on the South Rim before 10 a.m. As long as you plan to hike before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m. you can enjoy the Grand Canyon. Avoid the South Kaibab Trail during the summer afternoons because of lightening.

The canteen at Phantom Ranch has swamp coolers for air conditioning. You can hang out at the canteen or sit in the Bright Angel Creek during the hot part of the day.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    On one of my many visits, I asked the Rangers @ the Backcountry Office how they do their permits. The park service gets a ton of faxed permit requests the day of & even a few days before. They take all the permits and shuffle them up randomly. They pull the first permit & they get their first option. They keep pulling permits & plugging people in until there are no further vacancies.

Personally, I fax my permit request the day before you're supposed to. If you fax on the first 'official' fax day, you'll get consistent busy signals. It may take you a while to get through.

To those who have never been to the GC, schedule a trip there. It is awesome. I've got about 330 miles in the canyon so far. Got two trips scheduled this spring (March & May).
    Newbie Question on the Canyon---Why do the honchos require permits to hike and/or backpack? Is it like the Smokies where they have 90,000 backpackers and overnighters coming in a year? Are all canyon overnight backpacking sites Designated like in the Smokies? Do they tell everyone where to camp?

Do cars entering the Canyon NP have to pay an entrance fee??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++