WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Old Loggers Path (PA) Trip Report

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.co...-loggers-path/
    Had a great hike on a classic PA trail. Hiked in memory of RichB, a friend who died of cancer. Weather was rainy Fri night, but it cleared up. Rock Run was gorgeous and the views on the trail were very nice. Checked out an unnamed falls on Yellow Dog Run. Saw a toad, porcupine, snail with shell, warblers, hawks, and trout in Pleasant Stream. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Had a great hike on a classic PA trail. Hiked in memory of RichB, a friend who died of cancer. Weather was rainy Fri night, but it cleared up. Rock Run was gorgeous and the views on the trail were very nice. Checked out an unnamed falls on Yellow Dog Run. Saw a toad, porcupine, snail with shell, warblers, hawks, and trout in Pleasant Stream. Enjoy.
    Thanks for the trip report. I friend and I are going to do this hike over Labor Day weekend. Currently, the plan is to hike counter-clockwise for a easy first day to the campsite at Rock Run/Yellow Dog run. Do you have any insight on how crowded it could be on a Saturday night?

The OLP is a fine trail that you will enjoy very much. Not very hard, grades are usually gradual, fine views and great isolation. You can expect to see other backpackers on Labor Day weekend, but I've not seen the trail crowded. Rock Run is a popular place to camp, but there are 3-4 sites and you should be able to find one. Here is a map of the trail: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...r_20027896.pdf. If you are feeling adventurous, hike off-trail along Rock Run from Sharp Shinned Trail (nice campsite at Rock Run) down to Yellow Dog Run. Incredible scenery with some awesome secret campsites. You will see chasms, gorges, deep pools, cascades, waterslides, cliffs, etc. Let us know how your hike went.

Awesome! I appreciate the info. I'll definitely do a short write up afterwards.

What kind of bivy are you using in the photo? Thanks.

It is a Eureka Gossamer. I don't think they sell it anymore, they sell the Solitaire now.

I have a Solitaire; I thought it looked familiar. Do you like it?

Yes. It is obviously cramped, but has always kept me dry and withstood some tough weather.

Just returned last night from the OLP, and it was a great trip. The weather forecast was calling for scattered thunderstorms all weekend, but there was no rain except for the first night, and it was very light. We took a short day for day one; we started at Masten, CCW, and arrived at Rock Run/Yellow Dog and set up camp for the night. We spent a long time down at the amazing swimming hole that day. There was some people in the water when they arrived that were very nice, and told us a little about the area. Just as our day couldn't be better, they gave us two delicious IPAs to enjoy by the water. The night went on with distant thunder and lightning as we sat around the campfire. We covered about 10.5 miles on day two. Highlight of that day was coming up to Sullivan Mountain where we saw three timber rattlesnakes. They are seriously cool looking. We camped at Pleasant Stream that night at nice little campsite off the trail. Day three consisted of a few long, gradual climbs up to two different vistas. We arrived back to Masten at about 1:30pm. Great hike, great campsites, and one amazing swimming hole. Here's two photos from the trip:
    photo.JPGphoto2.jpg

Yah, I've got 2 weeks off in October. I plan on redoing this hike, as well as the little Grand Canyon. Should be great with peak foilage! Will be the first backpacking I've done since finishing my thru-hike last year.

Glad you enjoyed the hike. Rock Run is filled with amazing pools and swimming holes, an amazing place for some off-trail hiking. Snakes are a common sight on Sullivan Mtn. Great pics.

Any concerns leaving your vehicles overnight at Masten? Where I live AT hikers sometimes find their windows smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Any concerns leaving your vehicles overnight at Masten? Where I live AT hikers sometimes find their windows smashed.
    I parked my car right at Masten, near the old fireplace/chimney. We had no problems. I was actually concerned that I would be ticketed for parking (do park rangers ticket?) there because it's somewhat of an ambiguous parking situation. When we made it back to the car, a park ranger had passed us coming from where we parked. Also, Masten is far away from populated areas; you'll mostly just see other hikers or campers there.

The classic worry about parking at Masten is that a porkie ate your brake lines or electrical wires, making it impossible for you to either start or stop.

I was concerned about this as well...especially with my car. It's an Evo with a lot of aftermarket mods. I drove up that hill by the chimney, did a 3-point turn, and then parked on that road. I don't know if that's good or not...I mean, someone could smash my windows, drop my e-brake, and watch the car roll away. But, nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    i'm sorry for the loss of your friend
    the hike sounded like a good one :-) congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    The classic worry about parking at Masten is that a porkie ate your brake lines or electrical wires, making it impossible for you to either start or stop.
    Mothballs scattered around your car, usually works

Just came back from a short section on this trail, and camped at the Rock Run/Yellow Dog Run campsite. Here's the difference of five months and a Polar Vortex:
    OLP.jpg

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/ou...7a43b2370.html

Recent article about backpacking the OLP while also discussing the drilling that threatens the trail and Loyalsock State Forest, even though the state can protect much of the land.

++ New Posts ++