WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Campsite at headwaters of Rines Creek, NC?

I am planning a hike with friends from Standing Indian to Fontana this fall. Two of us are committed hammockers, so we are mostly planning to stay at/near shelters to meet everyone's needs. Coming out of NOC, Sassafrass Shelter and Choeah Bald will make for a too short day, but with the climb out of the gorge, Brown Fork Gap Shelter is going to be a little far, so we are seeking a good wet campsite inbetween.

I am using Topo 8.0 software. It marks the AT, but not 100% accurately. NOBO, past Choeah Bald, right where the trail turns from west to north, it appears the AT passes directly by the headwaters of Rines Creek, and it looks like it may be a little less steep in this spot.

I have attached a map with arrow pointing out the spot. Is anyone familiar with this place, and if so, is it a good water source and reasonable campsite?

If not, can anyone suggest any other good campsites nearby?

Rines Creek Campsite.JPG
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

The spot you are referring to is Locust Cove Gap at mile 147.6. It's an okay site on the right for NOBO's and the water is reliable.

Images

Default Locust Cove Gap

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    The spot you are referring to is Locust Cove Gap at mile 147.6. It's an okay site on the right for NOBO's and the water is reliable.
    Gearfreak,
    Thanks. Once I did a search for "Locust Cove Gap," I found a dozen trail journals and even a few photos of the gap and campsite. I even found one photo with a hammock on site! It appears that I am not the first one to conclude this is a good hike out of NOC (NOBO) or coming from Cable Gap Shelter (SOBO).

I know that TOPO 8.0 does not accurately show the AT route. From the other maps I have found, it appears that the shortcut northbound, avoiding the westward jog shown on the above posted map, may now be the official AT. Can you or anyone confirm this? If so, what is the approximate distance from the gap to Rines Creek? 600 feet?

Locust Cove Gap4.jpg Locust Cove Gap3.jpg
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Images

The route shown on your map is the correct route. I haven't used it in quite some time, but if the DeLorme product you're using will let you open files of various types, then you can go to the ATC web site and get the centerline data in a Google Earth KML file. Some changes have occured since this has been published, but not many.

Peachfuzz

Indeed. He's right.

Images

Thanks for the info. The four of us who are going are an interesting mix. Though we have spoken about the trek, tonight we are getting together to talk about routes and more.

Actually, if we take the above suggested route, this campsite is the one I am most looking forward to. Planning it may be almost as much fun as hiking. Naaah. Hiking it will be more fun!

++ New Posts ++