WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rblee View Post
    the starter/champion shirt, where you pay double for smartwool, but can sell it for something later on, whereas nobody is buying a starter/champion shirt, your out $16, basically what you would have recouped later on with selling a smartwool/icebreaker piece. .
    I agree with you completely about buying the best you can afford now, as it pays off on the trail. But these "generic" athletic shirts are something I've found work very well in summer and are a great place to save money if you can't afford Smartwool. I have a wife and 2 sons that I have to buy for, so I can't yet afford Smartwool for everyone. I never resell my clothing anyway, I always wear it till it wears out. Nor do I buy any baselayer or underwear used, and never will if I can help it. I have a few Underarmour shirts, and I also have a few Starter and Champion shirts. They've lasted me several summers now, are very light, work just as well as the Underarmour and seem to last as long. Not bad for $8 shirts. You actually pay 6-8 times as much for Smartwool, and its a far better product but I gotta stretch the dollar to keep us on the trail.

i get saving money and all that, but in the long run i'd say you end up spending more on cheap stuff at walmart than if you just plunked down the $50-100 for something quality (tarp).
    lets be honest everything they sell is junk, and if you actually use it in the backwoods, there will be a time when you are saying to yourself, soaking wet or holding broken equipment, "why didn't i just pay the extra $ for something that works".

I disagree, and have the trail miles with the equipment above to prove it. Would I use a Walmart sleeping bag, pad or tent? Not unless i could afford otherwise (which I can). But if i had a friend that wouldn't be able to otherwise go on a hiking trip due to gear (and I didn't have a closet full of gear to lend already), I wouldn't have any trouble with sending them to WM to get a starter set that can be upgraded later, if they get fully bitten by the hiking bug. If I didn't already own a DIY sil tarp, I'd also have no problem getting one of these tarps for a starter tarp, to make sure I like it before plucking down fat stacks for a better one.

I don't have to look like a Patagonia catalog model, to get outside and enjoy nature.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I don't have to look like a Patagonia catalog model, to get outside and enjoy nature.
    Amen to that

just pray that it doesnt rain on your friend with that 5x7 walmart tarp, i dont think hell ever go hiking with you ever again if it does , haha

just pray that it doesnt rain on your friend with that 5x7 walmart tarp, i dont think hell ever go hiking with you ever again if it does , haha
    If all you got is a 5x7 tarp, it doesn't matter what it's made of if it rains and you have to sleep under it. 5x7 is just too small for that.

However, a $10 5x7 tarp is just fine for a ground cloth, a picnic blanket, to hold over your head during an afternoon down pour, or to eat lunch under if its drizzling out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Would I use a Walmart sleeping bag, pad or tent? Not unless i could afford otherwise (which I can). But if i had a friend that wouldn't be able to otherwise go on a hiking trip due to gear (and I didn't have a closet full of gear to lend already), I wouldn't have any trouble with sending them to WM to get a starter set that can be upgraded later, if they get fully bitten by the hiking bug.
    The 5x7 blue tarp can ruin backpacking for a beginner as much as a cold or cold and wet night in a sleeping bag.

More people give up on hiking and backpacking because of poor quality gear, than not.

We had a successful Outdoor Program because we had a gear lending room. Sign out gear for a number of days. Leave Student ID card.

Some outdoor stores have rentals. Use rental gear.

Our Walmart now carries Froggtoggs! Ponchos and men/womens rainwear. Also found my snakebite kit there as well as some good clearance buys on Coleman lanterns and cook sets for when I go camping... Now my hiking gear I purchase mainly from REI, Backcountry Gear, or Campmor where you can find really, really good deals. I just bought a pair of Black Diamond poles for 50% off at Sunny Sports and got that rainjacket that Golite had on sale for like 50 bucks... Whatever suits your needs is what's important, what you and your wallet are comfortable with! The main thing is just getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++