WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The drop cloth is just cheap thin plastic sheeting, and covered in large amounts of permethrin, which I would rather not try to wash off.
    The soak method wastes nearly zero permethrin.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    No kidding. Being allergic to cats, permethrin sounds like a good way to keep them away
    you got that right
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Having a sheet of plastic coated in Permithrin would make a good ground cloth for hiking. Its perfect for those of us who cowboy camp or use a tarp, it would keep the crawling insects away. I normally use a polycro sheet for that anyway since its lighter then tyvek and 1 sheet lasted me over 2000miles on the PCT.

As for what to treat with permithrin: And if they are out, they can't bit through it anyway. I treat all my normal clothing that is worn on the outside including hats, socks and maybe shoes (hard to do on a thru-hike when you buy new ones). I don't bother with heavy insulating jackets or raingear since when you are wearing them, bugs usuallly aren't a problem and they can't bit through them anyway. I don't treat my backpacking gear or tents though some people treat their netting. It probably won't hurt if you do though.

I still don't understand why people use a pump or spray bottle for applying DEET instead of the time release lotion like 3M's Ultrathon which works really well. With the lotion, you can control how much you apply and where far better and I find a single container lasts much longer then the spray. That said, the permithrin on your clothes and hat will do most of the work keeping mosquitos away so there isn't a daily need for DEET except when they appear to be a grey cloud hovering round you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post

I still don't understand why people use a pump or spray bottle for applying DEET instead of the time release lotion like 3M's Ultrathon which works really well. With the lotion, you can control how much you apply and where far better and I find a single container lasts much longer then the spray.
    Great information Miner. How does this apply to hours of massive sweating? And then what is the concentration of DEET?

Thanks!

Having a sheet of plastic coated in Permithrin would make a good ground cloth for hiking. Its perfect for those of us who cowboy camp or use a tarp, it would keep the crawling insects away.
    I don't think permethrin would stay with something smooth like plastic for nearly as long as clothing. Permethrin needs to get into a material like the weaving of clothing. Now, it might stick better to weathered Tyvek for use as a ground cloth. Plastic? kinda doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Great information Miner. How does this apply to hours of massive sweating? And then what is the concentration of DEET?
    3M Ultrathon lotion is 34.34% DEET. Its suppose to be sweat and splash resistant However, I'm don't sweat as much as others but have found it remains effective throughout a hot day of hiking. Your mileage may varry. Their website is here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I don't think permethrin would stay with something smooth like plastic for nearly as long as clothing. Permethrin needs to get into a material like the weaving of clothing. Now, it might stick better to weathered Tyvek for use as a ground cloth. Plastic? kinda doubt it.
    True, but my point was at least you'd get some use out of it instead of throwing it away. And actually, it does work with Tyvek as I know people who do that when camping in heavy tick infested areas.

I have had great luck with ultrathon. It last far longer than 100% deet and doesnt soak into the skin as much plus its less agressive on plastics.

Most spray on permeterin is 99 percent propellent that can gas out a enclosed space quickly with 1% active ingredient. Definitely spray outdoors if you have to, but soak in works better. Ticks will not walk on treated fabric but if your shoes arent treated they will hang out there until they can make a run for it up your pant leg. Good reason to tuck in your pants. I have sprayed my gaiters in the past and it worked but didnt last a slong. I have to soak soem pants and will probably try soaking the gaiters

Journal Entries
    Images

Turns out you have something there it is micro encapsulated 25% Deet slowing the absorption into the skin. Has Merit.. When the other spray bottles run out - I would buy some..

Oh and I can get the good Permethrin ... its not 1%
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

3M Ultrathon lotion is 34.34% DEET. Its suppose to be sweat and splash resistant However, I'm don't sweat as much as others but have found it remains effective throughout a hot day of hiking. Your mileage may varry. Their website is here.
    That's what I use (my brother works for 3M). I use the tube with the sponge applicator. Never have to get the stuff all over my fingers.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

When you and others say 'soak', do you mean placing the chemical in a bucket and soaking your clothing in it? Or do you mean soaking the clothing by aggressively overspraying (soaking) the clothing?

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Soaking refers to putting the chemical into a bucket, diluting it to the proper strength with water, and then, yes, soaking your clothing in it. Then you wring the clothes out and leave them out to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    When you and others say 'soak', do you mean placing the chemical in a bucket and soaking your clothing in it? Or do you mean soaking the clothing by aggressively overspraying (soaking) the clothing?
    This stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-5-SAWYE...item2ebddc57a1

It comes with a bag. You roll up your clothing and place it in the bag. You then pour the contents of the bottle and add 3 more bottles of water. Seal the bag. Wait like 2 hours. Hang clothes and let dry.

No buckets needed.

Why isn't this available on Sawyer's website or Amazon? I don't buy stuff on eBay. Suggestions? Or is the spray sufficient to use?

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Why isn't this available on Sawyer's website or Amazon? I don't buy stuff on eBay. Suggestions? Or is the spray sufficient to use?
    Spray is fine. I just find the soak method so much simpler and I know I am not missing a spot or under treating. No waste either.

I usu buy the stuff off of Cabelas and they didn't have it either. I had to buy off eBay recently. Don't know what the deal is with that.

Has anyone ecperienced problems going through airport security and TSA with clothes that have been treated?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kool-Aid View Post
    Has anyone ecperienced problems going through airport security and TSA with clothes that have been treated?
    There's no reason they would ever know. The treated clothing looks, feels, and smells completely normal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Here is a site http://www.scs-mall.com/Sawyer-Perme...uctinfo/SP653/

Just in case they decided to swip my day pack or clothes and put the sample through the magical machine that tells them I'm a good guy or bad guy......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kool-Aid View Post
    Just in case they decided to swip my day pack or clothes and put the sample through the magical machine that tells them I'm a good guy or bad guy......
    Oh, yeah, they swipe my camera gear every time. Shouldn't be a problem, pretty sure the machine is looking for explosives components, and I've never heard of a permethrin bomb. In any case, several companies sell pre-treated clothing for travelers, so you would not be the first person wearing treated clothes on an airplane.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++