I am a freezer bag cooker and only need to boil water. I had been using a Trangia. I really like for the ability to cap and store the remaining fuel.

However, my cook set weighted in at about 15 ozs but I felt I could go lighter. I am a self confessed gram weenie.

I bought a blue mini and started experimenting. No matter what I did I could not get 2 cups of water to boil with this stove using my Snow Peak Ti 900 ml. I could put just over an oz of fuel in the blue mini but the water would only rise to 170 degrees at the end of the burn.The Trangia would boil 2 cups, albeit slowly. I never measured the fuel consumption.

Thinking too much of the flame and heat was escaping up the sides of the Snowpeak; I bought the famous grease pot (I bought it from Amazon and it is pre-blackened). The base diameter of the Snowpeak is 3.5", whereas the base diameter of the grease pot is 5.5".

The results of my back-porch testing show with the blue mini and grease pot, I can boil 2 cups using just over half an ounce of fuel in about 4 and a half minutes.

With this stove and a lighter cup, I cut the total package to 10 ozs, less fuel.

grease pot
blue mini and priming pan
Al wind screen
long handled Al spoon
firescout fire starter
GSI insulated cup
freezer bag cozy (DIY)
pot tongs
Ti lid for grease pot (DIY from Ti foil)

This allows me to loose 5 ozs for very little money and get faster boil times in the exchange. I just have to be careful how much fuel I put in the stove as it all must burn out and none can be recovered.

The grease pot has too much volume and I wish I had a clever way to cut it down an re-roll the edge. It probably holds 4-6 cups of water and I would never need more than 3.

I told my son if my pack keeps getting lighter, I was going to have to put rocks in it to keep it from floating off.

Col R