WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Necessity of Map

perhaps i am crazy for even asking this question- if so, please alert me: is it necessary for me to purchase and haul around a map while hiking a section of the AT? i'll be hiking south from Harper's Ferry and through SNP. The purchase of a map seems like a costly one when i'll only be on the trail for ten days. Any pointers from you pros out there?

You do not need a map. Anyone can easly make this hike with no map. Inside the park they have excellent markers that point the way. There are also many other hikers to talk to about what's ahead on the trail. The maps in this area are expensive, heavy and frequently so out of date to be usless.

Images

Some people hike without maps. Personally, I like to have them for several reasons, and always recommend carrying them. But if you have a databook and follow the white blazes, you can successfully hike the trail w/o maps.

At least carry the SNP brochure/map that they provide at the park entrances.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The PATC publishes the maps for the part you're hiking and their maps are pretty up-do-date.

The trail is well-marked; you may never consult a map while you're hiking and staying on the trail. But what happens if an emergency develops and you need to get off? What side trail to take, where does it take you, where's the next road crossing, if you're getting off in SNP along Skyline Drive, do you hitch north or south? These scenarios is where a map comes in handy. I'd bring them - always do.

$$$ - you're spending it on gear, food, and on transportation from Nashville to the trailhead. If you want to save some, stop in the ATC HQ at Harpers Ferry and buy the maps in person, avoiding shipping costs. And if you join the ATC as a member, you receive discounts on all purchases including maps.

Have a nice hike!
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 05-10-2012 at 19:44.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

If you have competent land navigation skills, then it doesn't hurt to carry maps. Without those skills, the map is fairly useless. You really don't need it, but I usually carry one anyway.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Awesome, thanks for the tips folks!

Some people will say "you can't get lost", not true, it happened to me last year in MD. I had my head down crossing a rocky section and wandered unto a different trail. Before I knew it I was atleast a half mile off the ridge where the trail was. Luckily I found a road and with my map I did a short road walk back to the trail.

Much, maybe most of the value of a map lies in it's enrichment of your experience by putting you in tune with your surroundings. To quote Colin Fletcher: "I am aware that for many people, a map holds neither meaning nor mystery. I can hope, compassionately, that the rest of their existence is not equally impoverished."
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I blog on the map issue under Safety. Better then rehashing an issue for me. Maps are part of LNT (Leave No Trace) planning and preparing.
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-10-2012 at 19:43.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++