WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Can someone find me a good pack?

I've searched for days trying to find a good pack and I can't make a decision. I bought an Ascend Day pack last year and that was such a waste of money. I'd rather be confident in the product before I buy it.

Looking for at least 3800-4000 cu in capacity, weight 4lbs and under, adjustable torso (still not sure if this is something I should be looking for or a fixed torso), and incredibly comfortable padding/straps. There's nothing worse than a pack that doesn't fit right and digs into your shoulders causing immense pain.

Packs are pretty individual.. what feels awesome to someone could feel like crap to someone else. 4lbs is insanely heavy for a pack. 2-2.5lb is just as easy to attain.

i'm bias towards the Osprey Exos series but going to an outfitter with a good selection and trying them on is a better bet. make sure you load it with 25-30lbs to see how it is loaded. good places have sand bags for that.

You are going to have to try on a lot of bags. For me, I find the Kelty packs fit well. I have a couple of North Face packs too, but they are really heavy but comfortable for me.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Images

Is this for a thru-hike? A weekend hike? How much total weight are you carrying? What other gear do you already have?

I can just throw out names of packs that I happen to like, but I like them because they work with me and my gear. The best thing to do is take all your gear to an outfitter and see what pack holds it all and feels good.

If you just want me to name a pack, the Osprey Aether 60 meets your criteria. I carried one for several years. It's beefy enough to handle a light-to-traditional load, without being too heavy all by itself. Many people find Osprey packs very comfortable, though of course this is no guarantee that you will. (Pack are like shoes.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It's for a 2-3 day hike.

The only place around here that sells packs is walmart and Bass Pro. Walmart has no selection and bass pro is extremely overpriced with a very limited selection so I can't just go and try on a bunch of packs.

Gear wise, I use a cheap 4lb walmart tent and a cheap 4lb sleeping bag. At the time I was on a limited buget (still am) so I'm looking for cheap, but durable enough. The bag ripped and a tent pole snapped, but they've been fixed and will be used again.

And I'm looking for packs in the $50-$100 range.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Golite has some awesome sales
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Nowhere in your post did you place any importance on price so I assume higher end packs are what you're looking for.

I personally like the feel of Osprey packs and have bought two. Having an REI near me also got me to buy an REI Flash 65 which is a lightweight pack at 3lbs and plenty big for a section hike.

Of course the good thing about REI is anything bought there can be returned for refund if not satisfied.

With that being said, I suggest trying on various packs if there are outfitters near you and decide for yourself which pack feels right.
    The other suggestion is go to traildays in Damascus this weekend and meet some backpack vendors and try on their gear.

Good Luck !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EricS96521 View Post
    And I'm looking for packs in the $50-$100 range.
    Don't skimp on a cheap pack that doesn't fit right or is of poor quality. Trust me, your back won't appreciate it. Save a few extra bucks and get a decent pack, it's worth it. You're not too far from Knoxville, I'm sure there's an outfitter there. If not, don't be afraid to look around in other areas. The NOC has an outpost in Gatlinburg and has decent gear, not too far from you either. Also, watch on here for used packs for sale, you can get a good deal sometimes. Also, check Campmor, Frugal Backpacker, Cheap and Steep and CampSaver. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Before you buy a pack, go to an oufitter somewhere and get your torso professionally measured so you know what size pack is right for you. Height and torso length do not always correspond.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

There's a Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Knoxville, looks to be 20 or 30 miles from you. That's a decent small chain of backpacking outfitters. You probably won't find a $50-100 pack that you like, but you'll be able to see much better backpacking packs there than at the big-box hunting+fishing stores. They can fit you (measure torso, figure out frame size), and you'll see some brands and models that will work. Then you can keep an eye out for used gear, or sales online.

Given your tent and sleeping bag, which will likely take up a lot of room inside, you'll probably want a fairly large pack.

If you end up being fitted for a torso size Large pack (especially if it's using the Gregory brand fitting device), send me a private message. I have an old internal frame Gregory that might suit you. But most people, even many tall people, don't wear a Large.

Finally, beware of heavily-padded hip belts and shoulder straps. The suspension needs to be comfortable, yes, but that's usually done with careful shaping rather than padding.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I think I will just stick to my original decision. Teton Sports Explorer 4000. 5lbs, 4000 cu in, adjustable torso 16"-23", $70.

I appreciate the help though guys

Images

Default Can someone find me a good pack?

Take the time to go to Knoxville and go to mast general, or heat to gatlinburg and for to NOC. You'll end up a lot happier.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

I agree, don't skimp...this will cost you more in the long run because you will turn around and have to buy another pack to replace the hardly used cheap pack that already fell apart...

Here is an REI Flash 65 pack on sale for $105.
    Here is an REI Flash 50 pack on sale for $99.

However, if you were willing to save a little money for it, I would suggest a ULA pack...

Although, it does sound like your other items are bulky and heavy, so you very well may need something bigger than that Flash 65. In this case, I would look for some of the Kelty Red Cloud packs. They are big and heavy, but they are of great quality.
    Last edited by STICK; 05-12-2012 at 21:22.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Pro Bass sells the North Face Alteo 50 with a trampoline type backing. It is excellent! I bought mine a few weeks ago for a section hike. Top loader but with side access. Extremely, extremely roomy. Just over 3 lbs. I hardly notice it on, it is that comfortable.

Go to REI.com for their videos on ow to select a backpack if you are unsure. Good luck.mwill be praying you find the right one you need.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by EricS96521 View Post
    I've searched for days trying to find a good pack and I can't make a decision. I bought an Ascend Day pack last year and that was such a waste of money. I'd rather be confident in the product before I buy it.

Looking for at least 3800-4000 cu in capacity, weight 4lbs and under, adjustable torso (still not sure if this is something I should be looking for or a fixed torso), and incredibly comfortable padding/straps. There's nothing worse than a pack that doesn't fit right and digs into your shoulders causing immense pain.
    You want quite a lot for $100 mate... Think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed, good luck!

I was browsing Golite's clearance page yesterday and they had a Quest pack for $79. Would be worth looking in to.

the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 is a great pack, weighs about 3 lbs, and has the adjustable Vari-Quick shoulder strap harness for different torso sizes.

Journal Entries
    Images

There is no perfect pack. That being said look for the best you can afford with the best fit and most durability for you money, It's a game of compromises fit, function and finances. I would agree that packs are as individual as those wearing them. My advice is join REI if you haven't already, they have an amazing return policy. The selection of ultralite type packs isn't huge but I'm sure you will be able to find what your looking for. I have had many packs off brands, Golite, Flash etc... My well fitting pack this year may not be the best for me next year. Remember you will be wearing this pack for months on end comfort is king!

++ New Posts ++