WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Jarrard Gap

Default Jarrard Gap

Is there any road access to the AT between Woody Gap and Neel(s) Gap? The NG/Trails Illustrated map shows a road touching the trail at Jarrard Gap, but it also looks like it's an ATV road at best.
    Upon closer inspection, the NG/TI map gives that road a trail number (142) a name (Jarrard Gap Trail) and a distance (1.2 m). Thus I'm assuming that I could park at the Slaughter Creek Trail trailhead and walk to the AT. Can someone confirm this? It looks like the 1.2 m may be a loop, and thus the distance from car to AT would be about half that. Can someone say how far the walk from car to AT is on Jarrard Gap Trail?
    Thanks.

I found some intel at www.appalachiantrail.rohland.org, but would still covet advice on getting to, parking at, and accessing the AT from this spot.
    thanks

There is no road access to Jarrard Gap. Yes, you can park at Lake Winfield Scott and walk the Jarrard Gap trail to the AT intersection. The distance is 1.2 miles. Here is a description of the trail that one of my friends made. http://www.digitaltrailguide.com/app...dgaptrail.aspx

The FS road to Jarrard Gap has been gated for years.

The 1.2 miles is one way from Lake Winfield Scott to Jarrard Gap.

You make a 6 mile loop by parking at LWS and hiking the Jarrard Gap Trail to the AT, hike N for a couple miles, and then return to LWS on the Slaughter Creek Trail. This is one of my favorite summer day hikes as I end the trip with a swim in the lake (sandy beach, dock out in lake, bathrooms, etc).

Very helpful. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++