WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What do you do when told a shelter space is "Saved"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It's also hard for a section hiker to be a purist, or at least you must be conscientious of certain things. I'm sure I ended some section hikes at road crossings and subsequently when hiking the section on the other side of the road, I may have failed to hike across the road itself. Oh, the horror of it all!

If I was thru-hiking, I wouldn't; I'd forfeit my purist status in Vermont where the trail crosses Rt. 4 - I'd take the old AT, now a blue-blaze, straight down the ridge to the crest of Sherbourne Pass and stop at the Inn at the Long Trail. The AT never should have been re-routed and I'm still not sure why it was. It couldn't have been a landowner issue because the blue-blaze is there.

Rock, paper, scissors.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    It's also hard for a section hiker to be a purist, or at least you must be conscientious of certain things. I'm sure I ended some section hikes at road crossings and subsequently when hiking the section on the other side of the road, I may have failed to hike across the road itself. Oh, the horror of it all!

If I was thru-hiking, I wouldn't; I'd forfeit my purist status in Vermont where the trail crosses Rt. 4 - I'd take the old AT, now a blue-blaze, straight down the ridge to the crest of Sherbourne Pass and stop at the Inn at the Long Trail. The AT never should have been re-routed and I'm still not sure why it was. It couldn't have been a landowner issue because the blue-blaze is there.
    Another delicate situation for a purist, you stop at a shelter that has one blue blaze in from the south, and different blue blaze out heading north. Had you not stopped at that shelter, there may be a 10 yard (or 100 yard) section of the white blazed AT you would have walked. Anyone here insist on taking the same blue blaze in/out of all shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

IIRC the AT was relo'd to move it away from ski area development.

You raise a good example. This is not a "go" or "no go" decision. You can still hike all the white blazes and still go to the Inn (which is a great place to stop) its just going to take longer. Choice is yours. HYOH.

The "new" Roaring Fork shelter N of Max Patch has two side trails to the shelter and I've am guilty of backtracking to the first side trail to make sure I covered the section of the AT in between.

Journal Entries

My vote was "other" because it depends on why someone was holding a place in the shelter. If it's a group hiking together and stragglers still haven't showed, I'd set up my tent. If they were just hoping to meet another group at the shelter, I'd insist on my right to a spot. Providing, of course, that there was legitimate available room i.e. I wouldn't insist eight people in a shelter designed for eight, should squeeze over to make room for a ninth person.

Images

Is there a glitch in this program.....are we on the " reserved shelter space" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    I don't stay at shelters.

But, if I did, I would have to mess with that person. I'd use one of my favorite Roddy Piper quotes, "“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.”
    Dang dude, you brought in the movie They Live into a backpacking forum....VERRRY NIIICCEEE (in my borat voice)

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Another delicate situation for a purist, you stop at a shelter that has one blue blaze in from the south, and different blue blaze out heading north. Had you not stopped at that shelter, there may be a 10 yard (or 100 yard) section of the white blazed AT you would have walked. Anyone here insist on taking the same blue blaze in/out of all shelters?
    ......Yes!
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

first come first served. that being said, unless its pouring raining, i very rarely sleep in shelters.noiise, mice, bugs. tenting is better.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    Every guidebook I've read states that larger groups should plan to tent it so that they don't fill the whole shelter in one go. I'd point that out and then make a judgement based on their reaction. If they seem friendly but misguided I might squeeze in, but as others have said I don't like the idea of sleeping next to a group of strangers I just pissed off.
    You bring up a good point. I might talk tough about pushing my way past someone who is claiming to have "reserved" shelter space for their friends, but I would definitely size up the situation first and then use a bit of tact. I don't think I'd get much sleep in a shelter full of strangers that are mad at me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I believe that the only place you can (and must) reserve a space at a shelter is in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park where reservations are required (except for four spaces per shelter reserved for "thru hikers" -50 miles and +50 miles each side of GSMNP).

Other than that, I avoid shelters. Have had mice chew holes in my stuff a few times, that was enough.
    rjprince

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Is there a glitch in this program.....are we on the " reserved shelter space" thread?
    Nope,Yo-Yo'n blue blaze trails,but why I don't know.

OTHER: It's simple...I do what my dog does. I sniff around a bit, circle, then lift my leg and mark my territory!
    Just be glad I can't lick myself.

When it comes to shelters on the AT, everyone has opinions, which is fine. I sense a pretty strong anti-shelter bias among most Whiteblazers. Seriously, in over 30 years of AT hiking, I can honestly say I have never seen this situation, and maybe naively thought everyone else treated shelter living as I do, first come, first served, no discussion, and hope you brought a tent. As for how to handle, use good judgement & don't take more space than you are entitled to.. sweet dreams.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I'd let them keep it.

Don't want to sleep around some people that might cut my throat in the night.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Seriously, in over 30 years of AT hiking, I can honestly say I have never seen this situation,
    Me either. I think you are more likely to find a shelter filled with clowns honking their noses and discussing how to find extra long hiking shoes or Yeti shaving.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Me either. I think you are more likely to find a shelter filled with clowns honking their noses and discussing how to find extra long hiking shoes or Yeti shaving.

In that case they can definitely claim the shelter for the night, I'll keep walking
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    In that case they can definitely claim the shelter for the night, I'll keep walking
    Clowns can be a scary thing,documented,why is that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    When it comes to shelters on the AT, everyone has opinions, which is fine. I sense a pretty strong anti-shelter bias among most Whiteblazers. Seriously, in over 30 years of AT hiking, I can honestly say I have never seen this situation, and maybe naively thought everyone else treated shelter living as I do, first come, first served, no discussion, and hope you brought a tent. As for how to handle, use good judgement & don't take more space than you are entitled to.. sweet dreams.
    I have run into it, and several times. It annoys me as much today as it did 30 years ago. I left junior high school a long time ago and shelters are not the school cafeteria.

When it has happened to me I have just said "Well I am here and they are not, so lets just make the best of it".

The good news is the overwhelmingly vast majority of people I have met hiking are good people, that are great to be around and more then willing to help each other and share when asked.

The few that were not, well, they don't like me much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++