WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default August 1st Southbound Gear List

Just wondering if I've got any major holes in my gear. I'm leaving August 1st or possibly a week or two later than that, and I'm expecting some cold weather. I don't plan to change out any gear over the course of the whole trip.
    This is the stuff I already have:

Pack: ULA Circuit
    Shelter: Tarptent Moment
    Sleeping: Enlightened Equipment 20 degree down quilt, wide
    Sleeping pad: Thermarest Prolite Plus
    Stove: Bushbuddy ultra, Heineken can alcohol as backup
    Cookware: Snow Peak Trek 900 (pot and pan/lid)
    Utensil: light my fire spork (knifoon)
    Water: Sawyer Squeeze system

Clothing:
    Marmot Precip rain paints
    Marmot Precip rain jacket
    Icebreaker merino midweight baselayer
    Adidas athletic shorts
    Montbell UL down jacket
    Goosefeet down balaclava (for sleeping mostly)
    Merino long johns
    3 pairs smartwool merino socks
    Merino short sleeve tshirt

Misc:
    Liteload towels
    Food stuff sack
    Medical kit
    DEET

Luxury item/maps/communication: Kindle 3G keyboard.

Any glaring holes in my equipment list? The only weakness I see is that the only maps I'm bringing are on the kindle, and I can't use the kindle in cold weather. I may just send the thing home at some point if it gets to be november/december and I'm still on the trail (which it probably will).

Anyone thru-hiked without maps?

I'm also planning on picking up a silk sleeping bag liner and some silk boxers. Silk.

You will likely need gloves and a hat towards the end....
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

I figure I can put on the down balaclava if I need to. Gloves are something I'd missed, good point. Should I just try to pick up a cheap pair at an outfitter or would they be worth having the whole time. also, I've heard wool socks make decent mittens?

Actually, I might just get a hiking hat type thing as I'm bald and don't plan on using sunscreen most of the time, so I should definitely get some headgear to avoid skin cancer... anybody got a hat type they recommend for thru hiking? Durable, light and cheap are my three requirements.

Sun exposure isn't much of an issue on the AT, but I liked wearing a baseball cap most of the time. I had a knit hat for warmth and used it on occasion starting in mid-September. Based on your start date, you should be able to get away without the gloves in New England (with the socks as a backup plan). You'll need to pick up the gloves at an outfitter or just a local store depending on when you decide you need them.
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Youll be cold in a 20 degree quilt in January.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsobo View Post
    Any glaring holes in my equipment list?

Glaring? Just the lack of a head net.

But, FWIW:

Unless you see the Kindle playing that role, you will NEED a watch when the days get short.

Some kind of light and something other than the spork to pick at your blisters and cut your molesking into smaller pieces to ration it.

If you alway sleep in your tent, you can sleep on top of your bag when its hot. Hard to do that in a shelter if its buggy.

Camp shoes of some sort, perhaps? I thought they were for wimps, but once thought the same of a sleeping pad in war weather too. I'vee seen the light. Worth considering anyway.

Images

add a warm fleece hat - - you'll wear it more than you think - you only need two pairs of smartwools - one on your feet and one in the pack. Here is my kindle rant:

I think you've already almost answered your own concerns about the kindle - - just release it - - people pack their fears - - you are pretty fearless (based on your list) but are afraid to release the technology - - you don't need maps to hike the AT - especially electronically downloaded ones - - all you will need is a data book, a companion, or yogi's guide - - pick up a a few maps in towns to check out details of areas of special interest - unfold actual maps and put your hands on them - they are for fun and are more enjoyable that way. I always find plenty of interesting reading material in the form of paperbacks left in shelters and hiker boxes and dollar books in random town bookstores but YOU hike YOUR OWN hike - - this is just my suggestion. When I went south, I considered the AT a wilderness experience - I know that the AT is mostly NOT wilderness and it can be hiked in a very town to town urban way, but I would suggest that since you have decided to explore the eastern appalachian mountains on foot, at least consider hiking like a mountaineer - - which wouldn't include the kindle.

Maps really aren't necessary. I'm currently on the trail doing a thru-hike and I haven't once needed maps and I've done 350 miles already. The only time I think maps would be useful is through the Whites. If you get AWOL's AT guide you won't need maps for the elevation or to find a town.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Just wondering if I've got any major holes in my gear. I'm leaving August 1st or possibly a week or two later than that, and I'm expecting some cold weather. I don't plan to change out any gear over the course of the whole trip.
    This is the stuff I already have:

Pack: ULA Circuit
    Shelter: Tarptent Moment
    Sleeping: Enlightened Equipment 20 degree down quilt, wide
    Sleeping pad: Thermarest Prolite Plus
    Stove: Bushbuddy ultra, Heineken can alcohol as backup
    Cookware: Snow Peak Trek 900 (pot and pan/lid)
    Utensil: light my fire spork (knifoon)
    Water: Sawyer Squeeze system

Clothing:
    Marmot Precip rain paints
    Marmot Precip rain jacket
    Icebreaker merino midweight baselayer
    Adidas athletic shorts
    Montbell UL down jacket
    Goosefeet down balaclava (for sleeping mostly)
    Merino long johns
    3 pairs smartwool merino socks
    Merino short sleeve tshirt

Misc:
    Liteload towels
    Food stuff sack
    Medical kit
    DEET

Luxury item/maps/communication: Kindle 3G keyboard.

Any glaring holes in my equipment list? The only weakness I see is that the only maps I'm bringing are on the kindle, and I can't use the kindle in cold weather. I may just send the thing home at some point if it gets to be november/december and I'm still on the trail (which it probably will).

Anyone thru-hiked without maps?
    A guide book - AWOL's The AT Guide or the ATC's Thru-Hiker's Companion with perhaps the Data Book to supplement - is all you'll need.

I upgraded to the ULA Circuit earlier this year too - so far I love it!

You're not going to want to hike in down anything. Keep your down bala for camp, bring a wool/fleece one for hiking. Or at least consider a wool/fleece hat - you're going to want it.

You can certainly start with a 20 degree bag; however be warned: I've slept in the Smokies in August in a 20 degree down bag and was comfortable while those around me with 30+ degree bags were cold, and that's considerably more south than Maine. And I don't sleep warm. You may be okay with a 20-degree bag for the first few weeks, but I'd save the headache and hassle and avoid sleeping in ALL of your clothing every night and just get a 0 degree bag now.

Hiking poles? I consider them a mainstay in my gear now.

I hike with 3 pair of socks, if you want to go for it.

Is your 'merino long john' set heavy or mid weight?

Wind layer? Or just using your PreCip?

Are you bringing toiletries?

Water bottles?

What's in your medical kit?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

headlamp? Fuel bottle? Water bottles? Water bladder?

IMHO, maps are most helpful in the Northern sections of the AT. If you need to bail, they can help you find a way off the trail and to town. The one map I always carry is the White Mountain Map. If you're up on that ridgeline and the weather closes in, you need to find a safe way off.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I left a lot of stuff out. Things not on the list that answer a few questions that I plan to buy or have:

Perlz + elite (or something like that, little headlamp thats bright but very light)

Cheapest swiss army knife

Need to get a merino balaclava or hat from the sounds of it

I have yet to make a decision on merino long johns yet, probably going with the smartwool midweight bottoms.

Silk sleeping bag liner (or maybe just a cheaper silk sheet?), 10 degrees extra warmth apparently. If i get too cold in the smokies, i can put on my down jacket, two merino upper baselayers, down balaclava, merino balaclava, long johns and two pairs of socks on my feet and one on my hands, then get in my quilt. If that's still not enough, I guess i'll start a fire?

Medical kit will have the usual bandages, moleskin, etc., immodium, ibuprofin, whatever else I throw in it after reading other's lists. Syringe that came with my filter system for backflushing can also be for irrigating a deep gash. I'm a licensed EMT-B (never worked as one though), so I know how to use the stuff for the most part too.

I'll probably pick up a few lightweight water bottles in towns and reuse them til I feel like I've leached enough BPA in town, and my filter bag system holds 3.5Ls of water, so I'll probably have around 4.5L capacity total -- is that enough?

No wind layer, I've used the precip as a wind layer and it seems to work well.

I plan on getting a pair of these http://www.invisibleshoe.com/ as camp shoes and maybe even to hike in occasionally.

No fuel bottle needed, I'll probably bring a baggie of a alcohol, 2 oz or so. Also, a bag full of petroleum jelly wrapped cotton balls to start a fire in the rain in my bushbuddy. Practiced the other day after a Florida thunderstorm and got a roaring little fire going super fast.

I guess I'll be picking up a cheap headnet too. I was planning on bringing a small of deet for when it gets really bad, but my Tarptent has a nice bug net and I'll just hide in there most of the time.

Cheapest swiss army knife
    I have not thru hiked yet so take that into consideration with my suggestion.

I recently purchased a neat little knife you might want to consider. The Wenger Clipper. About 1.3 oz.

+1 on a hat for hiking. I always must have a hat.
    How about silk long underwear (top and bottoms) instead of the sheet/liner? A little more versatile?

You gear looks a lot like the one I am putting together.

Great list. People have addressed alot of the details you omitted. I would suggest a buff or superlightweight beanie for hiking I never need much when moving but when I do it is key to have and even fleece is usually too much for me. I'd get some light glove liners from the start and add w/b shells when it gets colder(MLD event mitts or OR versa liner system). I would not store alcohol in a baggie. You can find small capacity bottles at neglible weights try Lawson equipment online. As light wanes toward the end you may consider a more powerful headlamp for some night hiking. I have a silk liner and it adds no where near 10 degrees if any at all. If you are getting cold in the south I would spend the money and weight on light down pants, booties, and an additional midlayer if needed. With the possible exception of gloves you have everything you need to be more than comfortable up here but do not underestimate the potential for cold nights in NE. I have experienced mid-upper thirties at elevation in ME and NH in mid to late august. Enjoy your hike you have picked about the nicest time of year to hike NE.

It may be of some interest for people to see how much I've spent on gear so far for this trip:

20 degree quilt: $200
    Down Balaclava: $70
    Tarptent Momentum, ULA Circuit, and Montbell down jacket: $370, used off the bpl forums
    Smartwool shirt: $55
    Icebreaker midweight baselayer top: $45
    Bushbuddy:$125
    Trek 900 set:$45
    Thermarest prolite plus:$80
    Marmot precip top and bottom: $140

Still a lot more crap I have to buy, but that's most of the big stuff. Oh and the Kindle was $130, but I'm not really counting that.

Over $1100 now and probably will be closer to $1500 before I'm done. Damn, I had planned on spending $1000, guess that went out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    +1 on a hat for hiking. I always must have a hat.
    How about silk long underwear (top and bottoms) instead of the sheet/liner? A little more versatile?

You gear looks a lot like the one I am putting together.
    I'm debating this, but based on how much I've spent already I may just wear my merino baselayers to sleep. The other option is I found cheap silk that I can buy yards of for about $15, so I may just bring a section of that and wrap it around myself to protect the sleeping bag and for a little extra warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    Great list. People have addressed alot of the details you omitted. I would suggest a buff or superlightweight beanie for hiking I never need much when moving but when I do it is key to have and even fleece is usually too much for me. I'd get some light glove liners from the start and add w/b shells when it gets colder(MLD event mitts or OR versa liner system). I would not store alcohol in a baggie. You can find small capacity bottles at neglible weights try Lawson equipment online. As light wanes toward the end you may consider a more powerful headlamp for some night hiking. I have a silk liner and it adds no where near 10 degrees if any at all. If you are getting cold in the south I would spend the money and weight on light down pants, booties, and an additional midlayer if needed. With the possible exception of gloves you have everything you need to be more than comfortable up here but do not underestimate the potential for cold nights in NE. I have experienced mid-upper thirties at elevation in ME and NH in mid to late august. Enjoy your hike you have picked about the nicest time of year to hike NE.
    After researching the silk liner I pretty much gave up on the idea. Down pants may be something I have to look into. Hopefully I'll hike fast and beat the weather.

MLD event mittens would be nice...

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Silk sleeping bag liner (or maybe just a cheaper silk sheet?), 10 degrees extra warmth apparently. If i get too cold in the smokies, i can put on my down jacket, two merino upper baselayers, down balaclava, merino balaclava, long johns and two pairs of socks on my feet and one on my hands, then get in my quilt. If that's still not enough, I guess i'll start a fire?
    No fires allowed in many places of the Smokies due to previous douchebags ruining it for the smart (rest) of us. I have a silk liner too, and I'd say they're better at keeping your greasies from greasin' the inside of your sleeping bag than actually providing a whole 10 degrees of extra warmth. Just sayin'. You'll have a better gauge of your cold tolerance by the time you hit Virginia, I'd imagine and you can switch out stuff there if need be.

No fuel bottle needed, I'll probably bring a baggie of a alcohol, 2 oz or so. Also, a bag full of petroleum jelly wrapped cotton balls to start a fire in the rain in my bushbuddy.
    A baggie of alcohol is . . . . well, just plain silly. A plastic bottle is sturdy, can be compact, is watertight and resists puncture extremely well. A baggie is none of those, and I personally think it foolish to risk your dinners this way. Even a freezer bag wouldn't suffice in my opinion.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++