WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question New York A.T. > Which location to end?

I am working out the logistics for my June section hike which will start at 1316.5, Sunrise Mountain Road, NJ. We'll be on the trail for 6 days, and are trying to decide for the best ending spot. We have some folks traveling with us ("B-Team") who will not be backpacking but will pick us up at our designated ending spot. The two locations that I am considering are:

1 - Arden Valley Road, NY, 1383.5. This area is appealing because there is supposed to have a parking area and 0.3 mi E there is supposed to be a facility with restrooms and showers . . . always a nice plus and the end of a hike!

2 - Palisades Parkway, NY, 1389.7. I like the fact that this area is a bit further north, which actually falls better with our daily plan. It is described as a "busy 4-lane divided highway" and there is reported to be a visitor center 0.4 mi W. The "busy 4-lane highway" has me a bit concerned. I am not sure if it is reasonable and accessible to plan to walk along this highway to the visitor center and meet our ride there and/or if the visitor center is conducive for such.

Any insight from folks local to the area or otherwise familiar with these two trailheads would be appreciated. THANKS!
    Last edited by trippclark; 05-14-2012 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    1 - Arden Valley Road, NY, 1383.5. This area is appealing because there is supposed to have a parking area and 0.3 mi E there is supposed to be a facility with restrooms and showers . . . always a nice plus and the end of a hike!

2 - Palisades Parkway, NY, 1989.7. I like the fact that this area is a bit further north, which actually falls better with our daily plan. It is described as a "busy 4-lane divided highway" and there is reported to be a visitor center 0.4 mi W. The "busy 4-lane highway" has me a bit concerned. I am not sure if it is reasonable and accessible to plan to walk along this highway to the visitor center and meet our ride there and/or if the visitor center is conducive for such.
    PIP is a 55mph road (so most people drive 65+). At the AT crossing, there is a metal barrier you have to step over. I do not think there is a shoulder near the crossing. Even if there is a shoulder there, it would be very dangerous to stop there. On the other had, I think there is plenty of space on the grass (on either side of the road and in the middle, between the two directions) to walk to the visitor center. The space separating the two directions is actually significant in width, with lots of trees; you can hardly see one side of it from the other. The VC is located between the two directions of traffic, breaking the middle ``strip". It is open 8am to 6pm daily and has restrooms. You cannot make a U-turn there though.

The facility .3 E of the N crossing of Arden Valley Rd is a picnic area next to a nice lake with a beach (people swim there). It is an easy walk downhill from the AT and would be a great place to meet. Due to damage from Irene, some of the roads in the area were and still might be closed; so check with the NY Department of Transportation and/or NY NJ Trail Conference (they used to have a list of closings posted).

If you could make it over Bear Mountain (a little further north), there is a bus to NYC from there (CoachUSA Short Line) and Hessian Pond with boat rentals and a great picnic area, which your B-team might find enjoyable ($8 parking though).

If you arrive at Arden Valley Road early, you could always take a loop through that part of Harriman and meet you ride back at AVR. Or you could meet your ride a Lake Tiorati. If you are really fast, meet at Bear Mountain. You really can't go wrong.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

i'll also suggesting the anthony wayne parking area just off trail near west mountain on the other side of the PIP (from the AT to the parking area is a flat walk on a bike/cross country ski path), or continue over west mountain to the small trailhead parking right off the trail between west and bear mountain.

Thanks for the insight folks. This helps a great deal.

+1 on trying to make it to Bear Mountain - it's a logical place not just to end and be picked up, but also for starting your next section hike (assuming you're continuing north.

The dangerous crossing of the PIP has been described. Once you cross, you have 2 steep ups and downs before reaching the Bear Mountain parking lot. The NOBO descent down West Mountain is particularly steep.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I have walked the Palisades Parkway on the grass shoulder to the visitor center. No problem. Yes, you can make a U-turn before and after the visitor center. You can not leave a car there for any extended time.

Bear Mt. is excellent for leaving cars starting and ending sections as it is a well patrolled parking lot with police presence.

Lake Tiorati on Arden Valley Road is nice but there is a parking fee.

Be aware that the parking at Culvers Gap (Sunrise Mountain Road), I have first hand experience from last year returning 3 hikers with FL plates to find cars broken into!
    Last edited by Askus3; 05-15-2012 at 01:22.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Askus3 View Post
    Bear Mt. is excellent for leaving cars starting and ending sections as it is a well patrolled parking lot with police presence.
    Are you referring to the parking lot at the summit of Bear Mountain or at the bottom next to the Inn and Hessian Lake?

The former is accessible by a road which is normally open from 8am or 8:30am until sunset. However, if the weather is bad, they may open it late or not at all (not for safety reason, but because there is no point of going to the summit if you cannot see anything from there). Otherwise, it would be a great place to meet on a clear day.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Bear Mt. Inn parking lot has police surveillance. Sorry for the ambiguous response.
    Aaron

++ New Posts ++