WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If it came in PDF format for my smart phone I'd be all over it...

We all know that other parties that promote their gear weigh in heavily on these furums as well. And since I had never heard of them either I'm happy I saw this thread in order to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by postholer.com View Post
    Each book weighs about 7oz. If you were inclined to carry them, you need to only carry one at a time.

The paper is a bright white bond, very good quality. It's not waterproof, but it would hold up well in dampness. Even if creating a bound book with waterproof paper was an option, the cost would be prohibitive. Think ziplock!

I think folks will really like these, on or off the trail. Planning or hiking they really stand out.

-postholer
    Just take some "Thompson's Water seal" and paint it on both sides of the maps. That's what I do with all my canoeing maps. Waterproof and you can still write on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    I'm very surprised at this as well. These maps were advertised on this site for over a year. The waypoints on these maps are much more relevant as they are tied to the official mileage in the trail guides and they reflect dependable water sources. I do wish postholer success with his endeavor, a tremendous amount of work goes into these types of projects.
    The price of Ink and paper would steer me away from this,and that a CD does me no good on the trail.On the flip side you'd be only printing the ones you need at the time,and therefore not printing an area that you never intend to visit,also allowing for home planning,this would be superior to work with on the computer.Six one way and half dozen the other,or some derivative there of,Both have there place.....but I like books jm2c and imho.

Just thought I'd give this a bump now that my books arrived - great quality and value! I can confirm that all data appears current for the areas I know well and studied.

I might take mine in to get them spiral bound so I can lay flat / use compass easier, but other than that this is a very cost effective and usable presentation. Happy I paid up.

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    Just thought I'd give this a bump now that my books arrived - great quality and value! I can confirm that all data appears current for the areas I know well and studied.

I might take mine in to get them spiral bound so I can lay flat / use compass easier, but other than that this is a very cost effective and usable presentation. Happy I paid up.
    Good to now,It's on my wish list.I had a feelin that was gonna be a home run.cool!

Thanks for the great feedback on the maps!

For those who have been dragging their feet, I've reduced the price by $15 for the entire set. Put another way, if you were going to print these maps out yourself from a digital copy it would cost about the same to print it!

As usual, you can find the previews and info here:
    http://postholer.com/ATMaps

-postholer

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    I'm very surprised at this as well. These maps were advertised on this site for over a year. The waypoints on these maps are much more relevant as they are tied to the official mileage in the trail guides and they reflect dependable water sources. I do wish postholer success with his endeavor, a tremendous amount of work goes into these types of projects.
    It says "Springer Mountain to Mt. Katahdin on DVD"... is that included with the maps or are the maps on the DVD?...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you ever got bored and needed something to do making a set of maps like this for the BMT would be awesome and welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    If you ever got bored and needed something to do making a set of maps like this for the BMT would be awesome and welcomed.
    Hmmmm....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thelowend View Post
    It says "Springer Mountain to Mt. Katahdin on DVD"... is that included with the maps or are the maps on the DVD?...
    The AT-TOPO maps are state-by-state PDF files on DVD. Additional files included on the disk are shelter and parking listings containing a description, mileage and coordinates (also available on the web site). Trail Notes which contain a description of each waypoint with mileage, elevation and whether or not reliable water is available. Unless a water source is in close proximity to the trail, it isn't shown in the mileage landmarks. Colored slope indicators provide a general idea of the terrain in a particular area, although some slopes within the area may me more or less steep. A soon to be released update will display elevations at the waypoints and the base maps have all been updated to the new USGS standard. These are newly updated and no longer contain the colors depicting ground cover. The maps can now be printed quickly and cost effectively at home. Scale is 1" = 1/2 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Good to now,It's on my wish list.I had a feelin that was gonna be a home run.cool!
    Just had to move it up in the wish list que,and orderd the centeral states book!psyched,thanks Postholer.

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    If it came in PDF format for my smart phone I'd be all over it...
    So I finally got a smart phone and it is for sure smarter than I am. Anyhow my question is....what software or pdf files could I use for the AT. I probably will not be thru hiking anytime soon due to a pinched nerve in my neck, but would like to have the southern section on my phone.

I received my book today,and it is awesome,and a welcome piece to the other maps and books I have.If I wanted to carry the equivalent maps that are contained within this map book,it would be a Lotta maps,and just fumbling through them would be a pain(but not really,cause I like maps)but this book allows me to be in High Point NJ,and in a flip of a few pages,Boom,I'm in Harpers Ferry,another whim,Bam,I'm there.It's a great little book,And I'm glad I bought it.You could hike the whole trail with nothing but this book,or add it to have an exceptional map kit by which to navigate,Great job! Postholer.com looking forward to picking up the other two at some point.

The web site is missing the most important specification, the weight.
    Although I know the weight from this forum, I'm sure it would sell a lot more if it was listed in the specs.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
    -Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++