WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Where did you learn the animal responsible for those piles of macaroni-shaped scat?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default You don't know ****.

Then again, perhaps you do.

This poll (my last for a while) asks where you learned what animal is responsible for those piles of macaroni-shaped scat.

This will be my last poll for a while, so I thought I would make it a good one.

Journal Entries
    Images

By the way, there is no better book than this one on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Art-S.../dp/0062735241

On the AT you spend so mch of your time looking at the ground infront of you, I really, really recommend this book. To my way of thinking this is the stuff that can make a day interesting. Hey, its not like you get to sit an watch the sunrise and proncing deer all day. LLife is full of ****, might as well make the most of it.

Paul Resendez is an amazing photographer, too. Get the book and you won't be dissapointed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------:-)

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------:-)
    I too have grown up in a world of hard hats,boots,and safety glasses,and also got tired of looking at port-a-jon scat,so.....other animal scat is a welcomed topic........Where ya going rick?

Another good book Tom Brown's "The Tracker"older book that stiil seems to move off the store book shelves.

Wow 96 veiws and 2 votes,I guess many do know there S---t! who'd a thunk....here at WB that woud be the case.

I guess you left out, "I'll have to look it up because I don't have a clue."
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Wow 96 veiws and 2 votes,I guess many do know there S---t! who'd a thunk....here at WB that woud be the case.
    Most of the answers assume one knows the responsible ctitter.

And the other option is kind ogf mean considering my tender feelings. I could have crafted a better poll.

My thought was simply to suggest that learning a bit about the natural history along the trail BEFORE you head out can add something to one's day. Even if its easy stuff like this particular kind of scat, or the shape of a pileated woodpecker hole and the bird makes it, or the difference between venus and mars. Its all good and there is something for everyone. I don't get rocks -- its all schist to me -- but wish I did. There is so much to discover along along the trail, but -- to my way of thinkin -- having even a modest introduction to it before you get out there would provide a frame work that would make a lot of thing "pop".

A whole lot of thought goes into the mechanics of hiking the trail month and years in advance-- why not a bit about how to make a great eperience even better by studying up on some of this stuff? Just rambling, but every now and then I'm right.

I think there's an App for that!

I learned game animal signs probably starting about age 7 from hunting. Other wildlife sign I learned from Boy Scout training and later BSA Camp School. This was all in Florida.
    I tried to learn new ones on the AT or trails out west just because I like to know whats around me.
    Nothing like Moose droppings until you see them in the woods. Makes ya laugh.

Coming from a rock free childhood, I'm still working on geology.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Most of the answers assume one knows the responsible ctitter.

And the other option is kind ogf mean considering my tender feelings. I could have crafted a better poll.

My thought was simply to suggest that learning a bit about the natural history along the trail BEFORE you head out can add something to one's day. Even if its easy stuff like this particular kind of scat, or the shape of a pileated woodpecker hole and the bird makes it, or the difference between venus and mars. Its all good and there is something for everyone. I don't get rocks -- its all schist to me -- but wish I did. There is so much to discover along along the trail, but -- to my way of thinking -- having even a modest introduction to it before you get out there would provide a frame work that would make a lot of thing "pop".

A whole lot of thought goes into the mechanics of hiking the trail month and years in advance-- why not a bit about how to make a great experience even better by studying up on some of this stuff? Just rambling, but every now and then I'm right.
    I agree whole heartedly,many of the books in my personal library have absolutely nothing to do with the "Appalachian Trail" per say,they only make up just about every thing in or on it.for some it is difficult to see the Forrest through the trees.Myself included,and that is why those books are in my library in the first place...including one on Scat.

Freakin amazing,186 veiws 4 votes,I guess the body just can't handle another Poopy thread,Last time I got caught reading a poopy thread ,my wife said to my daughter call your dad for dinner,to which she replied "He's on the computer telling someone how to use the bathroom"........sometimes these threads just have to ferment a couple days,before there is some noticed activity.

Journal Entries
    Images

Porcupines are the creature that **** macaroni scat

Images

I actually had to ask after I found this thread. never knew that until now. Saw plenty of bear scat this past spring in GSMNP.

In a book I had bought for my son when he was little(13 years ago)was a section on Scat,The book was "Buck Wilders Camping adventures"a chidlrens book.The section on Scat raised more than a few questions,and I learned a few things as well,though I never knew about the Macaroni runs.cool,even the Porcupines poop is trying to get out of the way of those spines.

Gotta go with What the hell are you asking that for? It was probably some whole-grain-pasta-eating thru with giardiasis.

++ New Posts ++