WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I don't get bored, except when sitting around and participating in small-talk.

Images

sleep.....

aka Kudzu
    Images

I try to plan so I stop in time to make camp, eat, and go to bed. Hiking solo makes this easier.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I write, or draw, or whittle sticks, or read... sometimes I just lay back and watch the clouds drift by.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Pack up and hike.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

1. How about a small crossword puzzle book to be used around the campfire or in the shelter? Read the clues aloud to everyone or work it yourself in your tent. Especially good when it is raining.

2. A small Sudoku book of puzzles so your brain does not turn to mush.

3. Take along some Trivial Pursuit cards and get a game going.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    2. A small Sudoku book of puzzles so your brain does not turn to mush.
    I went into Franklin last year and picked up a Sudoku book from the grocery. At the shelter that night I realized I have no concept of the game. I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I don't think I made it past the first puzzle. :-P

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Um, keep hiking. I like to take long breaks during the day, then walk until nearly dark and camp for the night. Easier in the summer, of course -- the short winter days lead to a lot of bag time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I always bring a small 30x loupe (magnifying glass)many times I have been sitting,and then pulled out my glass,and just searched the world around me in a three foot circle,lots to see there,bugs,minerals,plants,another hobby is to look at the really far,far away,though I've never taken a telescope on a hike.Some micro minerals to be found on the trail on the trail include,Magnetite crystals black looks like two upside down pyramids back to back and is magnetic,Garnets reddish black dodecahedral,which is kinda looks like a 12 sided soccer ball,Chromite,which looks exactly like the magnetite but is not magnetic,and many many others.

Yep, keep hiking to the next one. set up, eat, read a bit on my Ipod touch and crash out.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I went into Franklin last year and picked up a Sudoku book from the grocery. At the shelter that night I realized I have no concept of the game. I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I don't think I made it past the first puzzle. :-P

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

PM me and I'll teach you! Listen, I even taught my mom how to do it by phone. You are still young for "Bubble Brains" when your mind turns to mush, LOL, but I swear these types of games help. I play the one in my local newspaper daily. It only takes about 10 min.

Images

Rocketsocks... you should be more interesting .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

One thing that I think should be mentioned is that it's not always smart to just keep hiking. Avoiding injury, giving your feet a rest, etc, are all reasons to not just keep hiking until bed time. Even if you want to keep hiking, it's not always the smart thing to do, so it's good to be able to keep yourself entertained while in camp.

And Rocketsocks, I love that idea.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    One thing that I think should be mentioned is that it's not always smart to just keep hiking. Avoiding injury, giving your feet a rest, etc, are all reasons to not just keep hiking until bed time. Even if you want to keep hiking, it's not always the smart thing to do, so it's good to be able to keep yourself entertained while in camp.

And Rocketsocks, I love that idea.
    I was thinking exactly the same. I know that when I am overly tired - that is when I often stumble!

True, it would depend on the hike that day. you can do a lot of things to time things so you arrive when you want if you're not pushing the make miles. mid day rest stop at a nice location.. taking it easier up/down hills.. sleep in

for me, being alone at a shelter/camp is really boring. I'd much prefer to have a few people around.. then arriving earlier wouldn't be as bad. but solo i don't want to sit around waiting for it to get dark

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Rocketsocks... you should be more interesting .
    Yep,mundane,bad humor is a little grinding I guess,thanks for the advise.perhaps an Article on my endeavors over the years.My hiking largely consists of short field trips in search of minerls,and or whatever,it's not been uncommon to find the garbage dump of a long lost mining site.

Not from boredom, but I'll write in my journal or pull out my sketchbook. I always have my paintbox or a few pens with water-soluble ink and a waterbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Not from boredom, but I'll write in my journal or pull out my sketchbook. I always have my paintbox or a few pens with water-soluble ink and a waterbrush.
    Hey Rocket J. that's cool,I too have put together a small Pochade box that uses a limited palate,blue,red,yellow,and white,and a few pastels.My aim is to nurture this a little,as I am no artist,but would just like to capture the moment with a color study,to then be worked out at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Wow. Now that ​is cool.

There is a term painters use called Ariel Perspective,which says each receeding horizon is painted,or drawn it gets a lighter in value,an effect I like to capture and always find fastenating wether in paintings or in real life,a very fine thing,fine indeed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++