WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Read the Shelter Register if theirs one, if i get to a place and i do get bored i hike on till later in the day and find a place to tent.

Images

I carry & read a print out of WB subjects on guns, money, hanging vs sleeping with food, bad trail towns. I printed it on tp so it's multi use.

Journal Entries
    Images

does the print on the TP change the color of your bum?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Just read this whole thread and was amazed at how people said that when they needed something to do, they pulled out a book. I always make sure to have something good with me, it's usually something not trail-related. But from the comments above, I guess this practice is unusual. Doesn't anybody read any more?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Just read this whole thread and was amazed at how people said that when they needed something to do, they pulled out a book. I always make sure to have something good with me, it's usually something not trail-related. But from the comments above, I guess this practice is unusual. Doesn't anybody read any more?
    I have read books,usually trail related,shelter log books, even backpacking information from the " articles forum " from this website. Reading is in itself a good thing regardless of material content.
    Personally, I enjoy watching sunsets if the situation presents itself, talk to other hikers if at shelters, or write in my journal about that days' hike. NEVER a dull moment if you think about it.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I practice throwing bullets. it's not easy to hit a tick from 50 yards

What I meant to say above, obviously, was that I'm amazed at how FEW people on this thread mentioned taking out a book. or something else to read. That was one of the great things about hiking in New England, I'd always leave town with a couple of newspapers. People usedta tease me on Sundays at the end of the day.....you pull a Sunday Times and Boston Globe outta your pack, you get some funny looks. But funny thing, it was kinda like carrying maps......everyone says they weren't needed, but you pull 'em out at a shelter, and all of a sudden, everyone wants a look!

I always carry a book when hiking, even if it's just a quick overnight. But then, I almost always carry a book off the trail as well.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by P-Train View Post
    Cards, frisbee, bourbon, just relax... all of the above?

Same thing you did in Algebra class..........stare at the teacher and think about the cute tutor......

Wait - What book? 60 pounds of dead weight for school that I was to read? Nope.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-29-2012 at 09:54.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    What I meant to say above, obviously, was that I'm amazed at how FEW people on this thread mentioned taking out a book. or something else to read. That was one of the great things about hiking in New England, I'd always leave town with a couple of newspapers. People usedta tease me on Sundays at the end of the day.....you pull a Sunday Times and Boston Globe outta your pack, you get some funny looks. But funny thing, it was kinda like carrying maps......everyone says they weren't needed, but you pull 'em out at a shelter, and all of a sudden, everyone wants a look!
    I would often carry a BPer mag, or some other such mag. When done reading it, i'd pass it on to other bored people.

Images

I head to my hammock AWAY from the shelter! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

+1 on the reading a book.

But then, I always feel antsy if I don't have a book on the nightstand at all times. Also, I love to write, and my trail journal will take a good 45 minutes to an hour each night if I have the strength. Even on quick overnights, I'm in my tent with the headlamp on for at least an hour after I go to bed, with the headlamp on either reading or writing.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I always carry a book when hiking, even if it's just a quick overnight. But then, I almost always carry a book off the trail as well.
    As do I. Sometimes I'll carry an eBook on a piece of technology I'm already toting (such as my phone). It is a pain to read on such a tiny screen, but I like to imagine that my back and legs are thanking me for cutting weight where I can.

I'm also in the tear-and-burn camp. Mainly because someone always needs just a teensy bit of paper to get something caught on fire, and does the hopeful doe eyes at me whenever I bust out a book. If it is a 17th edition mass market paperback, I feel no shame in lighting it up!

I figure I have stopped a little too soon and go hiking.

Images

In 2011 I placed 13 copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in consecutive huts on my local track (Bibbulmun).
    In the next month I will be placing copies of Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" in the same huts and replacing the half dozen or so of the Rings' books that "walked".
    Those huts are at the southern end and are often the loneliest for hikers (and wettest) and also have campfire bans so are least likely to have the books burnt.

Despite all that I actually don't like to read much on trail myself as I find that I can just sit back and enjoy the serenity if alone and love chatting if with company.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cut and stack firewood for myself to have a big fire and to leave some for the next weary hiker...

Wondered where they came from

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    My preferrence would be sex...but, I have to settle for whittling and watch the fire burn.
    The exped 69 doubles as a swedish-looking blow up doll. It's UL and extremely hot for those cold nights out on the trail.

Images

I answered my own question on my hike.

I ended up writing the day's events in my journal, fixed my sleeping quarters, got water, cooked, got more water, had good conversation with others and went to bed just before dark. Multiplied by seven days.

End of story.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I recently made a miniature Monopoly set to play when my son and I go camping. The money is 1.5"x2.75" printed on colored paper, the property deeds and other cards are 1.5"x2.25" printed on card stock, the board is 14"x14" printed on card stock with the center cut out (folds down to 2"x7"), the houses and hotels are green and red paper clips (with the center cut out of the board, the simply clip the houses/hotels in place). The tokens are colored paper clips and the dice from a real Monopoly set (because I wanted the new 'Speed Die'). Used a small 1st Aid kit pouch as a storage bag. The whole thing weights 6.5oz.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++