WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Partnership Shelter to Damascus

I will be section hiking from Partnership Shelter to Damascus starting June 13th. I've read anywhere from 4-7 days for this stretch. I'm a flatlander in good shape and would appreciate any input. Also who would you recommend to shuttle us from Damascus to the shelter. Will I need a bear bag for this stretch? Thank you very much for your help.

Images

Contact Lone Wolf here on WB for shuttle.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by rgettman View Post
    I will be section hiking from Partnership Shelter to Damascus starting June 13th. I've read anywhere from 4-7 days for this stretch. I'm a flatlander in good shape and would appreciate any input. Also who would you recommend to shuttle us from Damascus to the shelter. Will I need a bear bag for this stretch? Thank you very much for your help.
    You are only required to have a bear canister if you camp overnight from Jarrard Gap (26.7) to Neel Gap (31.7). You still might want to hang your food at night, although Lone Wolf may tell you differently. Although I haven't met him in person, Lone Wolf seems to really know his stuff. Just ignore that black cloud hanging over his head and the little pink bow on his tail...

Images

Very enjoyable section. I've never heard of or experienced bear problems through here. Just be clean around your campsite. Ponies in the highlands will rifle your pack if left unattended and they find it. Feeding them just encourages this sort of bad behavior including biting and kicking. If LW is busy, I might could help you out.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    . . . .Just ignore that. . . .little pink bow on his tail...
    But it constasts with the gray in his beard so nicely.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Boots
    Images

Great section, you'll enjoy it. There's a good variety in the trail and in wild life. You may find it a bit warm in July but it will be nice.

Images

Killer section.............pizza up at the Partnership Shelter, that was a fun night

Bring sunscreen and a big hat.

I just finished up this section (+ another 50) last week. It should take about 5 days. The toughest part was between Va 603 and Thomas Knob Shelter, a couple of long climbs there, but great scenary.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Here's my trip report from that section (actually starting a bit north at the I-81 crossing: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262033

I had perfect weather and was having a great time, finishing the 75 miles in 3.5 days. I was planning to take 5, but the weather was ideal, the days were long, and I was feeling good.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Very good write up, Kerosene.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just hiked the Iron Mt. Trail last week up that way and saw a bear and more bear skat than I have ever seen in my entire life.

Still used my food bag for a pillow though..

Thanks everyne for your help and ideas. Can't wait to tackle my first small part of the AT.

++ New Posts ++