WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Problems sleeping

I just got back from a weekend hike and I have noticed getting comfortable and falling asleep is definitely a problem. I have a comfy marmot down sleeping bag, a thermarest neoair trekker sleeping pad, and an exped inflatable pillow so I feel that I have a pretty comfortable setup while still relatively light-weight. However, I just can't seem to get comfortable falling asleep.

I started my hike on Saturday after only sleeping about 2 hours the night before. We hiked about 5 or 6 hours and the last part was very difficult, scrambling up a steep boulder covered incline. Needless to say when it was finally bed time I was exhausted. Still, I was up for at least an hour or two before falling asleep and woke up several times during the night and couldn't fall back asleep.

I think the problem is that I am a side sleeper and sleep with a large body type pillow at home. I just can't fall asleep lying flat on my back. I am a pretty sound sleeper so noises and such don't keep me up, I think it is primarily just a comfort issue. My last time out I had similar issues. Anybody else a side sleeper or a pillow hugger and have problems getting sleep on the trail? I am worried that for long distance hiking lack of sleep is going to be a problem eventually. I would like to think that I would be so exhausted that I could fall asleep standing on my head, but this weekend gives me doubts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhh hike more and practice out back of the house.

Ok look have a warm glass of water mixed with Nido and pack a quick dissolving Diphenhydramine the main ingredient in almost all sleep medicine.(Benadryl)
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-20-2012 at 23:38.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You may want to consider a hammock. Look at Hennesy and Warbonnet or check out the forum here. I'm a slide sleeper and sleep best in a hammock, only way I'm truly comfortable.

I agree... getting used to it helps. during late spring- late fall i rock climb a lot and spend a lot of time sleeping in a tent and i find it a lot easier to sleep after a few trips out.

also i find that finding a good pillow really helps. I recently got an exped air pillow and have been dialing in the right inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Diphenhydramine the main ingredient in almost all sleep medicine.(Benadryl)
    This is better: doxylamine succinate (the hypnotic in NyQuil). It's the most powerful OTC sedative available in the United States.

Images

Benadryl is so light, I take two before bed on a hike. I wonder if the nyquil stuff comes in dry form? Carrying a bottle of nyquil seems counter productive.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

NyQuil comes in capsules as well. Maybe some earplugs too?

Images

Some of it is adremeline from a workout your bodys not used to
    .after a few days it gets easier. I take advil pmwith me.

I have had good success with both Nyquill capsules and Tylenol PM. Suppliment these with a few ounces of Knob Creek at bedtime and you are off to lala land. Sweet Dreams.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

If you want a crutch, use the drugs. If you want a good night's sleep without that crap contaminating your body, try other avenues first.

1) Are your pillow and/or your sleeping mat too soft or too firm?
    2) Is your sleeping position comfortable? If you're a side sleeper at home, try side sleeping if your tent.
    3) Are you using the right pillow and/or sleeping mat for you? If not, experiment with others.
    4) Are you warm/cool enough?
    5) Look at giving a hammock a go. (Stand by for the hammock hater comments from that crowd, because here they come!)
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I have taken NyQuill before,and yes it works great for nocking me out,and like clock work 2 hours later "Bing",wide awake.every time.

Images

If you are looking for something to take, I would suggest Magnolia Bark. It does not knock you out but it does help you unspool so you can sleep.

Some call it a natural equivilant to valium, I dont know about that, but it does help with getting to sleep without the side effects if antihistamines.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Skip the drugs, try a hammock.

Images

I literally stuff a side sleeper pro into my backpack. https://www.sidesleeperpro.com/

I know I risk getting a new trail name. Also, I bring a pillow case and cram clothes I'm not wearing into it for an additional head support while sleeping on my side.

I've found that sleeping on my side on a thermorest is still difficult. To sleep on your side, you need to bend your knees, and the low friction thermorest does not allow my legs to stay relaxed enough and still stay bent enough. To deal with that, I usually find something to put under my thermorest near the knees so I can keep them bent and allow them to relax in that position.

I agree with the hammock theory. You can even sleep on your side if it is hung correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I just got back from a weekend hike and I have noticed getting comfortable and falling asleep is definitely a problem. I have a comfy marmot down sleeping bag, a thermarest neoair trekker sleeping pad, and an exped inflatable pillow so I feel that I have a pretty comfortable setup while still relatively light-weight. However, I just can't seem to get comfortable falling asleep.

I started my hike on Saturday after only sleeping about 2 hours the night before. We hiked about 5 or 6 hours and the last part was very difficult, scrambling up a steep boulder covered incline. Needless to say when it was finally bed time I was exhausted. Still, I was up for at least an hour or two before falling asleep and woke up several times during the night and couldn't fall back asleep.

I think the problem is that I am a side sleeper and sleep with a large body type pillow at home. I just can't fall asleep lying flat on my back. I am a pretty sound sleeper so noises and such don't keep me up, I think it is primarily just a comfort issue. My last time out I had similar issues. Anybody else a side sleeper or a pillow hugger and have problems getting sleep on the trail? I am worried that for long distance hiking lack of sleep is going to be a problem eventually. I would like to think that I would be so exhausted that I could fall asleep standing on my head, but this weekend gives me doubts.
    Here are some images to contemplate that will help you get into the sleep mode!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post

Yeah - seems pretty normal to me

This happens to me most hikes. First night or two I don't sleep well, but after a few I have no real problems. Takes awhile for the body to adjust and get used to it. Wouldn't worry about it on a long hike - you'll sleep soon or later. Short hikes it can be annoying, but...

Images

Have a couple kids. It should work on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Benadryl is so light, I take two before bed on a hike. I wonder if the nyquil stuff comes in dry form? Carrying a bottle of nyquil seems counter productive.
    --------------------------------------
    Be VERY CAREFUL with Benadryl, as it has a bad habit of sneaking up on folks and causing A-Fib. At about 62-yo, I woke up one morning from an 8-hr sleep, with a pulse of 200+, ended up in the ER, with about 6 IV's running with God knows what in an effort to SLOW the heart & restore an even rhythm.

They had given up and where preparing to administer a relaxant, in prep of Shocking (Defib) my heart into submission, then suddenly, thank God, I converted and was back to normal in another 15-min

I know of at least 2 other folks having suffered the same thing, after taking Benadryl to sleep.

If A-fib, similiar to mine, happens 2 U on the AT in the middle of nowhere, you may well not live to tell the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing good health to all ............................ my 2-cents
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

I have the same problem, but have noticed that the problem does seem to go away after a couple nights. You might also try a hot cocoa, small glass of wine, etc..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++