WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Bug Beating Ideas?

Any major suggestions for a lightweight way to beat the bugs? My girlfriend and I are beginning our hike in June and are already carrying bug head nets for the black flies in Maine, but I'm a mosquito magnet. Probably enough of one that as long as she's standing near me, she wont have to worry about it. I generally take some crazy 40% deet stuff on shorter hikes, but that usually comes in a larger aerosol can. I've tried the wipes, and the little deals you wear on your pocket, but nothing but that super power deet spray seems to work. Any other ideas?

BTW check out our blog at appalachiansouthbound.blogspot.com or our website at sites.google.com/site/appalachiansouthbound/

Hike starts June 21st!
    "Mostly they come out at night...mostly"

Images

Garlic, I have know hikers to buy it in pill extract form I prefer it as a spice. After a few weeks on the trail vs hiker funk smell won't matter. Or see links about pemathain treatment for clothes or clothes already with it.

Permethrin on clothes and ultrathon on skin. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    Permethrin on clothes and ultrathon on skin. Works great!

This!^^

In fact with the permethrin treated clothes you may not even need the ultrathon except in really bad situations.

Does the garlic really work? I've used the really strong DEET before and that stuff scares me, I mean it can melt plastic, it can't be good for you. I've been wondering what alternatives there might be to highly toxic chemicals. If anyone has had success with alternatives, I 'd love to know!

Quote Originally Posted by LilRedTX View Post
    Does the garlic really work? I've used the really strong DEET before and that stuff scares me, I mean it can melt plastic, it can't be good for you. I've been wondering what alternatives there might be to highly toxic chemicals. If anyone has had success with alternatives, I 'd love to know!
    There's a reason that DEET has been the insect repellent of choice for decades. It works better than the alternatives, and it won't harm you as long as you use it correctly.

I realize that it's popular because it works, but it doesn't mean it's good for you. As in another thread here, someone trying to eat healthier and the debate over sugars. Just because high-fructose corn syrup is acceptable to many does not mean it's good for you. And if there are alternatives that work fairly well, personally I'd rather try those than poison myself and the environment with toxic chemicals. Just my personal preference - if I absolutely have to use deet then I will, but I just would prefer not if I can find an acceptable more natural alternative.

Try 20% Picaridin if you don't want to use DEET. That is the only alternative clinically proven to be effective, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Try 20% Picaridin if you don't want to use DEET. That is the only alternative clinically proven to be effective, as far as I know.
    Citronella oil works for me, but has to be re-applied frequently, like every 30-45 minutes. If I'm in for many hours of exposure it's Icaridin (Picaridin) or DEET, but for an otherwise insect-tolerable day but going through a swampy area or something, the Citronella is fine.

Garlic
    Images

I've been hiking in bug seasons for years without DEET, including June and July in New England on the AT a few years ago, in black fly season. I wear a long sleeve shirt and long trousers, usually treated with Permethrin in the worst of the season, and a head net when stopped. I've never had a tick and I think a few mosquito bites are worth the trade-off of not putting DEET on my skin. They usually get my ankles, wrists and hands the worst, and that's not so bad. The black fly bites were much worse, but manageable.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Yes, Picaridin is the only synthetic repellent shown to be comparable to DEET. None of the herbal/natural repellents are as effective in controlled studies. Picaridin is less irritating for many people and doesn't damage plastics like DEET. If you are opposed to all synthetics, Picaridin may not be for you. But if you are interested in a less irritating (scary?) alternative to DEET, give Picaridin a try.

When I was in the Army we used Avon Skin So Soft. I dont know whats in it the bugs dont like but it works,unless they changed the formula since then. This thread was pretty good timing for me as I had this conversation yesterday and had a girl who sells Avon order me some.

Journal Entries

May sound crazy but I used to hike with a guy in yellowstone who swore up and down that chewing the heads off if matches would add sulfer to your blood thus keeping bugs away. I never tried it because I figured it couldn't be healthy but he never seemed to have bugs on or near him.
    Could a Dr. enlighten me?

We also used skin so soft in the Marines while at Paris Island for the sand fleas. I don't think it repelled them so much as it did drown them. Mind you, we weren't allowed to use it until towards the end of training. They didn't want us getting too comfortable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I've seen controlled tests of Skin So Soft along with other ointments and herbal treatments. The bottom line is that if they work, none of the work for very long (compared to DEET and Picaridin).

Journal Entries
    Images

Garlic or Large amounts of B-12 starting about 6 weeks before hitting the trail helps me a little with the mosquito end. Blacks Flys are always going to be a PIA during the day. Headnet has been basic gear for years. Bugs are just a fact of life while hiking.

By wearing permithrin treated clothing (don't forget to treat your hat), long pants, long sleeve shirt (you can unzip the convertable pants and roll the sleeves up if the bugs aren't bad and its hot), I only resorted to using DEET for 2 days on my PCT thru-hike when I felt like I was hiking in a grey cloud of them. A head net is nice to have during breaks.

Thanks for all of the input. Bugs don't typically bother me too much, although I wonder if that will change now that I've quit smoking (just over 1 month now in prep for AT and so I can spend all the money I'm saving on gear!). Also, I know that being the only (or one of limited) targets out there, that is apt to change as well. I am resigned to using deet or other chemicals if necessary, but I also don't mind a little bit of a hassle such as long sleeves, pants and head net if that helps. My grandfather used to say a clove of garlic a day woul keep the bugs away, and he did eat a whole clove everyday, though I can't remember if it worked or not, he and his family were what was once considered "mountain people" and used all kinds of home remedies and natural solutions. I think I've always been too concerned about the smell of my sweat too much living within society to eat that much garlic, but I'd be prepared to give it a try on the trail!

When I was in the Army we used Avon Skin So Soft.
    My Skin So Soft container is labeled anti-mosquito.

Mosquitos don't like me anyway. I have heard it is because my blood chemistry is alkaline pH. I was told that if you wear a copper bracelet, for example, and your skin doesn't turn green then your blood chemistry is alkaline pH. My skin doesn't turn green. If green color, then your blood chemistry is acid pH.

I have had a solar-powered keychain dragonfly sound emitter that works well. Dragonflys eat mosquitos. Mosquitos would do a 180-turn if they got within 12-feet of me. Now I have a mosquito repeller app for my iPod Touch. It works. People like to stand near me.

In flea and tick country, I have worn flea and tick collars for pets over my pants legs at my ankles. Woof or meow.

I am not kidding. Honest.

In a nasty biting bot fly area, I wear elastic gaiters because those critters bite right thru my socks.

The fact I wear loose fit tights with elastic at the ankles, long-sleeve shirts, and a hat with a no-see-um bug net is enough if I also wear gloves. There is nowhere for biting insects to bite.

edit: There are no flavor garlic pills. Are they no odor?
    Last edited by Connie; 05-22-2012 at 17:40.

If all else fails and you can find it (and if you're not allergic to it), mugwort (artemisia vulgaris) is great for keeping bugs away. You can sleep on it or stuff some in your pockets / clothes for a little protection if you don't have bug spray.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++