WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default So Why Did You Go SOBO?

Did you choose SOBO or did SOBO choose you?

According to the data, only about 10% of people hiking the AT go SOBO. I've read the pros and cons of electing to walk south and I get that for some it was the only option due to time constraints and/or other commitments. There seems to be a bit of a superiority complex (perhaps not the correct choice of words, elitist, maybe?) of those who've completed it going SOBO. I realize there are far fewer folks in this rank than in that of completed NOBO's and I suppose they've earned the bragging rights. Irregardless, I'm not looking for pros and cons, or why SOBO's are better than NOBO's (or vice-versa) - I'm just curious as to your personal reasons for going to SOBO when there are so few that do. Do you choose SOBO or does SOBO choose you?

I've not yet hiked, but I'm in the planning stages and hoping for 2013 - maybe 2014 if I have to push it off another year. For me... I first heard about the trail back in the early '90s and have dreamed about doing it since then, even though I knew very little about it. Back in them thar days we didn't just look things up on the interwebz and so I just dreamed and romanticized about it until last year when i finally decided I'm going to make this happen. In starting my research, I discovered that most people go north - I had absolutely no idea! In all my fantasies over the last 20 years, I just always pictured walking south, it never even occurred to me that was against the norm. And so, since I've been dreaming of going south for 20 years, there's no way I'm planning on changing it now. And I find it interesting in reading about SOBOers and NOBOers, I seem to relate more to the SOBOers and their reasons (mostly about solitude, less of a party atmosphere, and perhaps not having a huge quantity of friends but fewer solid, quality friends). So I almost feel like the AT chose me to be one of the few, the proud, the SouthBounders.

I know this seems bizarre, but I believe a lot happens for a reason and even though we seem to have free will, there are certain things outside of us that determine some of the choices we make. For me, this seems like one of them.

I plan to hike SOBO when i retire in 2020, so lots of time.

Like you, when the idea of thru hiking germinated in my head, a north to south route just seemed natural to me. I didn't know it isn't the norm but knowing myself maybe I should have realized that. I tend to march to the beat of my own drummer in many areas of my life. A friend said it was because I would be walking home (I've lived in Florida most of my life). He may be on to something also.

As learned a little more about it the more practical thing for me may be the weather. I suspect a southbound hike, starting in August, will be in slightly, or significantly, cooler weather than northbound. This suits me also as I prefer to hike in cool weather. I should point out I live in the Florida Panhandle where winters are near perfect weather and summers have me running for the AC.

wookinpanub

I grew up in Florida and was living in Tallahassee at the time of my thru-hike.
    I hiked southbound for one reason: I wanted to be headed toward home and reap the mental benefits that entailed. There were some days that was all that kept me going.
    It's been a few years since my thru, but I'll give you my opinion of the pros and cons. One thing you must know is that my perspective is that of the first southbounder of the year, hiking the entirety of the trail solo. I started May 3rd (snuck up Katahdin via Abol Trail and down AT)

PROS:
    1) Mental advantage of heading towards home.
    2) Fewer people means fewer complaints and negativity.
    3) Shelter overcrowding was rarely an issue.
    4) Getting the Mahoosuc's and the White's over relatively early makes everything else seem easier.
    5) Starting with a pack with cold weather gear and ending with a summer/fall pack makes the pack get lighter as you go.
    6) I enjoyed meeting the northbounders and, by the time I met them, we were all seasoned hikers and many issues in common. Great exchange of information.

CONS:
    1) Smaller trail community (or total lack of, in my case) can make loneliness an issue.
    2) Springer can seem anti-climactic given the other mountains you've climbed.
    3) I started in single digit temperatures and finished in summer heat. Other than Whitecap, Bigelow, and the Whites, it wasn't much of an issue, though.
    4) Some trail services plan for northbounders and at the beginning you may experience fewer services available. (Hostels closed, stores not stocked, blowdowns not cleared, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I plan to hike SOBO when i retire in 2020, so lots of time.

Like you, when the idea of thru hiking germinated in my head, a north to south route just seemed natural to me. I didn't know it isn't the norm but knowing myself maybe I should have realized that. I tend to march to the beat of my own drummer in many areas of my life. A friend said it was because I would be walking home (I've lived in Florida most of my life). He may be on to something also.

As learned a little more about it the more practical thing for me may be the weather. I suspect a southbound hike, starting in August, will be in slightly, or significantly, cooler weather than northbound. This suits me also as I prefer to hike in cool weather. I should point out I live in the Florida Panhandle where winters are near perfect weather and summers have me running for the AC.
    The walking home thing is the reason for me.

Plus schedule.

I haven't done it yet, but if I do, it would be because I hope that a thru hike is NOT a once in a lifetime event. Assuming I will do two (or more) thru hikes, I would want them all to be different in some way. SOBO and NOBO are the most obvious choices.

I always like going South; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

Great question, that never crossed my mind till now! SOBO is less crowded! I Live in Central VA, about 10-mi (in a straight line) from the AT, so have weasy access to it for week end hikes?

At times I have seen a many as 2-dozen or more at the shelters. I am not a fan of shelters or crowds!

So, my 2013 Thru could well be a SOBO.............

What is the General best timeframe to start a SOBO ???????????????
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the road less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the road less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    - Robert Frost

"Both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden black"

Only hindsight does the author of the poem claim that his path was less travelled, IMO that is one of the tricks memory plays on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    "Both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden black"

Only hindsight does the author of the poem claim that his path was less travelled, IMO that is one of the tricks memory plays on us.
    Initially the author feels that perhaps one road is calling to him as being more unique and "less traveled. "And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear." He then decides that they were probably equally traveled roads.

And yes, agreed! In that once he starts on that path, the fallen leaves were still intact and had not been crushed by a "hiker's" boot and/or started to decompose and turn black. His hopes, dreams, aspirations were still fresh and alive and untroddened by the harsh realities of life.

LOL Well, we have probably put everyone else to zzzzz with our analysis! Always delightful on the WB Trail!

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Initially the author feels that perhaps one road is calling to him as being more unique and "less traveled. "And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear." He then decides that they were probably equally traveled roads.

And yes, agreed! In that once he starts on that path, the fallen leaves were still intact and had not been crushed by a "hiker's" boot and/or started to decompose and turn black. His hopes, dreams, aspirations were still fresh and alive and untroddened by the harsh realities of life.

LOL Well, we have probably put everyone else to zzzzz with our analysis! Always delightful on the WB Trail!
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Images

I am from Georgia, so hiking home was part of it. I also liked the idea of less crowded shelters, though the near constant rain in in June & July 2009 kept the Maine shelters very full.

The main reason for me is I spent the first part of the year in Argentina and a SOBO start enabled me to maximize the length of my stay there.

Crowds.
    I'm hearing some horror stories from friends who are NOBO'ing it this year.
    No way do I want to see the things they are telling me: Many people packing weapons, most yellow blazing all over the place, cliques of people trying to overtake shelters, not friendly, cell phones ringing way too much, small stores out of most thru-hiker delights, hostels and hotels full, etc.

Simply too many NOBO'ers.
    Some people crave that social thing, I'm not one of them.

Cons to SOBO: Finish is far less dramatic, have to start with heaviest pack of the trip (and toughest part), if starting early: bugs, mud and tougher fords.

So SOBO is the way to go, but, be in shape and have some experience IMO.

The other option of course is to start with the PCT. No shelters, so, not everyone crowded up together every night. Easier walking, more beauty, much better weather. (wash your socks every day and they dry out within hours for one thing)

Up to you. We have choices.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LilRedTX View Post
    Did you choose SOBO or did SOBO choose you?
    I went SOBO because there was no way for me to make the trip happen befor mid July. At the time people told me that ending at Springer would be let down. I understand why they said that, but I think some missed the point. I dug up an old post of mine with some thoughts on that. Not sure if any of this rings true with others, but i think I was particuallry lucid at the time .

The main reason for this post is suggest that the draw of Springer can be every bit as powerful as Katahdin. As a southbounder you get to feel a series of accomplishments right off the bat that can help give you the confidence to make it all the way. First you get to climb the badest mountain on the whole AT and report on your triumph to the hardened northbounders you meet up with. Then, you get to do the 100 mile wilderness. After that you will know that the Trail is something that you REALLY can do. (SOBOs might consider blowing off the Whitehouse Landing).

Wow. You get to follow this up with moose and spruce grouse and the Bigalows. When you get to Gorham, you will KNOW what you are capable of and that the AT is amazing in so many dimensions. But you also have the Whites to look forward to in a matter of days. Its really cool not only to hike them, but put them behind you knowing you have met yet another challenge.

But it gets better. Walking through pastures and up fire towers and wonderful places that just keep on coming. By this time you have probably been asked about bears 20 times and have been forced to say, no I haven't seen one. You can't wait, but are confident that your day will come in NJ or VA. You wonder if you really want to see a rattlesnake, and if the Smokies are everything that the NOBOs said they were (they are). As you move on, you walk along ridges that command a view not of an endless sea of trees but of farms that are every bit as beautiful. Perhaps more so. The better-known hostels and AYCE places become something to look forward to in a way that is hard to understand, and are a motivation in themselves.

Along the way you wonder about how beautiful the trees must have been in the spring, expecially the rhodadendron, but console yourself with the knowledge that only a SOBO can stop and check out Hawk Mountain during fall raptor migration, and are pleased that you started a conversation with the quiet birders because they were able to point out a couple bald eagles among scores and scores of hawks. You get to enjoy a mid-week Fall quiet along the trail that is magic, and realize how crowded the Whites and Maine really were.

And Springer calls as to you as loudly as Katahdin ever could. When you reach your first 4000 footer down south (is it the Priest?) you laugh at how easy hiking it was. In fact, you can't help but wonder if the Northbounders hiked a different trail than you find yourself walking every day. Tough mountains down south? Yea, right ;-). The only thing that takes you by surprise is the fact that days are becoming so dang short, at a time your body has never been stronger.

When you get to Springer you may be alone and the sky may be gray. Its hardly a spectacular place, but you walk over to the plaque and know how special it was getting there. No champagne and hoots, but a quiet satisfaction that will stay with you for a long time.

A fine place to end a hike.

Rick B
    ME=>GA 19AT3

rickb,

I never considered SOBO....your post brought tears to my eyes....you got me think'in!

geek

Thank you all for responding. Seems there many varied reasons, not just scheduling, for going SOBO although that is a common one. I am surprised by the number of folks who did it to walk towards home, but I suppose that makes sense. Since I'm in Texas, this doesn't have any factor in my decision, but I think that's a neat way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Like you, when the idea of thru hiking germinated in my head, a north to south route just seemed natural to me. I didn't know it isn't the norm but knowing myself maybe I should have realized that. I tend to march to the beat of my own drummer in many areas of my life.
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I probably should've known as well that I would want to go at it differently than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I haven't done it yet, but if I do, it would be because I hope that a thru hike is NOT a once in a lifetime event. Assuming I will do two (or more) thru hikes, I would want them all to be different in some way. SOBO and NOBO are the most obvious choices.
    Do you mean hiking the AT is not a once in a lifetime event or thru hiking a trail in general? For me, this will most likely be once in a lifetime for the AT, but not necessarily the only thru hike. I'd love to complete the triple crown! And I plan on emigrating out of the US someday so, I'm trying to check off my bucket list items that are exclusive to being here.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Great question, that never crossed my mind till now! SOBO is less crowded! I Live in Central VA, about 10-mi (in a straight line) from the AT, so have weasy access to it for week end hikes?

At times I have seen a many as 2-dozen or more at the shelters. I am not a fan of shelters or crowds!

So, my 2013 Thru could well be a SOBO.............

What is the General best timeframe to start a SOBO ???????????????
    Generally one can't start until the trails leading up to Mount Katahdin open, which depends on how quickly the snow melts and the trails are safe. This can happen anywhere from mid-May to early June. Many don't like to start until July or later due to the black flies and bugs though. I grew up in the Northeast, so I'm not too concerned and plan to start as soon as possible as that would put me at Springer near Thanksgiving if I'm an average hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I am from Georgia, so hiking home was part of it. I also liked the idea of less crowded shelters, though the near constant rain in in June & July 2009 kept the Maine shelters very full.

The main reason for me is I spent the first part of the year in Argentina and a SOBO start enabled me to maximize the length of my stay there.
    Yeah, that's a good reason. Argentina is beautiful, the people are open and the steaks fantastic! I was there in '98 for a month traveling all over the north-west - Tucuman, Salta, Jujuy, etc. I'd love to go back someday!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Crowds.
    I'm hearing some horror stories from friends who are NOBO'ing it this year.
    No way do I want to see the things they are telling me: Many people packing weapons, most yellow blazing all over the place, cliques of people trying to overtake shelters, not friendly, cell phones ringing way too much, small stores out of most thru-hiker delights, hostels and hotels full, etc.

Simply too many NOBO'ers.
    Some people crave that social thing, I'm not one of them.

The other option of course is to start with the PCT. No shelters, so, not everyone crowded up together every night. Easier walking, more beauty, much better weather. (wash your socks every day and they dry out within hours for one thing)

Up to you. We have choices.
    Goodness! That does not sound like anything I really want to be a part of, which is why I stated that I do seem to fit the profile of a SOBOer even before I knew the difference. I would like to do the PCT next and bring along the family. My SO has no desire to do the AT but would love to do the PCT. My son might do some of the AT with me and as he's a minor, I think it just reinforces my decision to do SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    rickb,
    ....your post brought tears to my eyes....

geek
    +1 Yeah, what he said!

Rick B, that was really quite beautifully put! Thank you for sharing.

"I probably should've known as well that I would want to go at it differently than most. "

Not to nitpick, but it wasn't that I wanted to go at it differently. It just so happens that what is natural to me is usually different than most.

That is basically what I was trying to say as well. Not necessarily that I "want" to so much as that is what usually happens.

I figured that's what you meant, but I'd hate for anyone to get the impression I, or you, try to be contrary. It just comes natural.

Default Why I am choosing SOBO

I have recently decided to do the thru hike SOBO and will be starting May 2012. Now my decision to go SOBO has to do with not finishing college until early May (zoomass!); however, I find it interesting that many people say they are going SOBO because they like the idea of heading towards home. For me, since I live in Maine, the idea of walking away from home is one of the most exciting aspects. I want to experience places away from home and my ultimate goal is to find somewhere that I love even more then New England, not to get home. So while SOBO is much more convenient as far as my schedule goes, I still love the idea of heading away from New England and possibly discovering a new area of the country to call home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++