WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb BEST camera for the $$

Upcoming 2013 Thru................... what is the BEST camera to catch the memories!

1. At 65-yo I have tried dozens, but were poor QUALITY. Battery life just plain sucked! I am brain-dead when it comes to "manual-adjustments", so I need something simple!
    2. Would like to get the new camera now, and try it out on shorter trips, in prep for a Thru!

What do you folks suggest! $$ w/in reason!

Thanks!!!!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ice&highlight=

OK, here is my take, a light easy to use cam. that takes a few HD movies and tons of images. and has a wide angle.. play with it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've been happy with my little Cannon ELPH 100 so far. There is a newer model but it's more $$.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B004J3V8UU

I will also buy the Panasonic Lumix TS20 next just waterproofing.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Wate...=1KKU5P11R05O3

It's getting harder and harder to find a decent point and shoot that just takes AA batteries anymore.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-21-2012 at 21:41.

Do these cameras have the option to label pictures as you take them? I never know what my pictures are or where they were taken when I upload them on the computer.

I just purchased the Pentax Optio WG-2 with GPS this week. Waterproof. Shockproof. Cold proof.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital...S_Shiny_Orange

It was recommended by a really great AT photographer who did a thru a few yrs ago. His photos are amazing so maybe mine will stand a chance...

Images

I have a nikon cool pix I use all the time. It is a simple light weight point and shoot. I have 4-4 GB cards I cary that way next to nothing. I put the camera in a zip lock bag to stay dry. I wouldnt recomend any SLR cameras, yea you will get better photos however the weight nixes any advantages an SLR gives you on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Upcoming 2013 Thru................... what is the BEST camera to catch the memories!

1. At 65-yo I have tried dozens, but were poor QUALITY. Battery life just plain sucked! I am brain-dead when it comes to "manual-adjustments", so I need something simple!
    2. Would like to get the new camera now, and try it out on shorter trips, in prep for a Thru!

What do you folks suggest! $$ w/in reason!

Thanks!!!!
    There are few really bad cameras out there now, at least from major makers. With all due respect, if you have had problems with dozens of cameras, perhaps the issue is operator error. It might pay to read up on photography skills before choosing a camera that suits you, then practice, alot.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Baron
    Images

Well, it's also possible he bought a series of crappy(but cheap!) P&Ss because they had "more megapixels" and someone at Best Buy told him more MP=Better.

Size of the sensor matters quite a bit, as does the glass. Very cheap point and shoots(like most cameras on phones) have tiny sensors, which means less light is hitting the exposure medium, which means the picture is going to be terrible.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    There are few really bad cameras out there now, at least from major makers. With all due respect, if you have had problems with dozens of cameras, perhaps the issue is operator error. It might pay to read up on photography skills before choosing a camera that suits you, then practice, alot.
    see we still agree... he needs to read instructions,,,,,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have used 2 different Coolpix cameras on hikes and they are nice but not great. I wanted something better for my JMT hike this fall and I bought a Sony DSC-HX9V. The difference in speed and quality is a significant upgrade. Manual pics are impressive and it also has a panorama feature where you just click to start and then start sweeping the area and it stops on its own. It takes 1080P video and I recently took a video at a rock concert that the performed posted on his FB page. Make sure you get a Class 10 memory card for video. It also has GPS capability and the SOny software that comes with it is better than any other camera software I have used. The only drawback to this camera is the body is thicker than a Coolpix but for the quality I don't care.

For the person who can never remember where he took the pics I always take a picture of any distance signs and then based on the times I took the other poictures I have a pretty good idea where all my pics were taken.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I'm on my second Coolpix (I'd still be on my first if I hadn't lost it, followed by losing a Canon PowerShot) and I'm quite pleased with it. I've got the best of both worlds in that Canon's photo editing software is superior to Nikon's so I still use it.

Re. operating the camera and using the bells & whistles, like most people I don't read the 100+ page manual and likely pay for this negligence in the first few months but eventually, you learn by doing.

The other point I want to make is consider buying via e-Bay. I bought my last one this way - a Coolpix L22 advertised as "used." In fact, it was new right out of the box with all the accoutrements included. I paid $57 for it. In addition to being pricier, all the store cameras had rechargeable batteries, a no-no for long distance backpacking.

Images

Depends on what you most seek.
    If you are essentially looking for basic photo taking, anyone of the excellent waterproof, shockproof offerings from Panasonic Canon Pentax or Nikon as long as it takes batteries that match anything else you carry (AA recommended). I think that Panasonic may have the best options. Do an online search on Ebay and then follow a couple of links to the online shops that come up. Many of them have reviews on the cameras they sell.
    I am holding off until just before I leave for the USA as I am looking at more expensive options as I have GPS recording (I take a LOT of photos and it helps to keep track), and at least 10x optical zoom (I want close ups of bears and rattlers without getting too close up) as my premium wants. Shockproofing and waterproofing may have to be compromised to get this combo. I would not recommend this as moisture is a real pain for cameras and even (especially) in the pack a camera will get banged around on the trail.

Images

I generally use a dSLR now, but I did try out a bunch of P&S before returning to SLRs. My favorite was the Canon Powershot A560 IS. No longer available, but had many of the things I liked and would look for again. Great image quality for a P&S, decent video capabilities, AA batteries (use lithium - lighter, longer lasting), and a viewfinder (very important for stability and photo taking in bright sunlight). Plus the Image Stabilization was real, mechanical stabilization, not just increasing the ISO as many P&S compacts do.

I was very disappointed with the Image Quality of the Olympus Stylus 600 that I tried.

Every Fujifilm camera that I've had (several) gave very good Image Quality, but they were not as compact as the other's I've listed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    I have a nikon cool pix I use all the time. It is a simple light weight point and shoot. I have 4-4 GB cards I cary that way next to nothing. I put the camera in a zip lock bag to stay dry. I wouldnt recomend any SLR cameras, yea you will get better photos however the weight nixes any advantages an SLR gives you on trail.
    Although the OP specifically stated he wanted "simple" a SLR probably isn't for him. To say, however, that the extra weight of a SLR nixes the advantage of better Image Quality is simply not true. It all depends on what your goals are.

My take, is that I will probably never return to most of the places my hikes take me, so if I want the highest quality photos, the weight is definitely worth it. The relatively high quality, lightweight lenses that are available today makes this even more true than it used to be in the film days.

Images

I have a DSLR but the weight penalty for a thru hike just don't justify it.
    Then there is also the fact that nearly everything you post to online needs it resized down and you only print a couple of large ones and "point and shoot" comes up best for the trail.
    If you're keen on photography a DSLR is a wonderful thing, but only the really serious should consider one for anything longer than 2-3 day trips.

Thumbs up Multiple-use...

I got a LG Tracfone (w/double minutes for life!) that has a 1.3 MP camera that also can be used as a movie camera and a voice recorder. I bought a 4 Gig microchip from Amazon (about $4) to increase the memory capacity. Photo/movie quality is decent and is downloadable to a PC. Battery life is very good and you can use the phone feature to annoy others at the shelter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Sony DSC-TX10

Pros:
    small and lightweight
    good battery life
    can be recharged from USB
    takes excellent pics (let me know if you would like to see some)
    waterproof, takes underwater pics, dust proof, shockproof
    can be as simple or complex as you want it
    takes movies and panoramas

Cons:
    does not use std batteries
    slow shot to shot

I really like mine and it is in my pocket every time I go on the trail

Col R

As far as batteries go, use Lithium. That makes a HUGE difference with cameras.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I just purchased the Pentax Optio WG-2 with GPS this week. Waterproof. Shockproof. Cold proof.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital...S_Shiny_Orange

It was recommended by a really great AT photographer who did a thru a few yrs ago. His photos are amazing so maybe mine will stand a chance...
    +1....I have the WG1. I Just picked it up about 6 months ago off ebay. If was suppose to be lightly used but I dont think it was ever used. I got it for $120. It takes great pictures and has a lot of awesome functions. It is real easy to operate if your technotarded but it also allows you to change everything manually if your autistic, i mean artistic. It takes really great pictures and it allows you to label them. Unfortunately, the pictures dont look good when on the camera but when you load them up to your computer they look amazing! I fell in love with mine shortly after getting it and I have never regretted it.......I highly recomend you read the manual so you can figure out all the cool functions.

Regardless of what camera you decide on, I highly recommend the Mountainsmith Cyber II camera case. It will fit vertically on the shoulder strap of your pack. It comfortable and convenient. If you see something on the move you can just unzip it, grab your camera and snap a picture without ever having to take off your pack. I LOVE IT! BTW, if you go with the Pentax WG1 or 2, get the Mountainsmith Cyber II in medium.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

Olympus Tough TG-820 --$299

Pros:

* Uses long lasting lithium battery * Cons -A tad heavy .
    * Shock proof
    * Water proof to depth ^ 33ft
    * Cold weather resistant -10*
    * 12 megapixals~ 5x zoom
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 01-15-2013 at 21:25. Reason: additional info
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++