WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Brothers, who put college on hold, get lesson on survival hiking Appalachian Trail -

Brothers, who put college on hold, get lesson on survival hiking Appalachian Trail
    Fox News
    In late February, they put their college classes on hold to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Thru-hiking — hiking a long-distance trail beginning to end — is popular among thousands of trekkers each year. But only one in four hikers are able to ...

More...

I know the statistics of likely hood of finishing the trail, but that really sucks that the brothers didn't get to finish together.

When I read that the brothers "spent an average of $10 per day," I felt that it made this an irresponsible article because it is so misleading. And this $10 per day included hostels. It doesn't mention food drops or help from parents so every college kid out there gets the idea that it costs only $10 per day or about $1800 for 6 months - including hostels. I just don't believe you an buy food, hostel stays, fuel, showers, laundry, and gear repairs/replacements for that amount unless you have an awful lot of help along the way.

I have to wonder if hostels who operate by donation only are given anything or maybe $1-$2 by hikers on this kind of budget. That doesn't even pay for their hot water for showers. How long are they going to be in business?
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 06-02-2012 at 09:02.

I was confused by this statement in the article: "On most nights they stayed in hostels or in sleeping bags at campsites."

That seems both true and inaccurate at the same time!

++ New Posts ++