WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Bear Activity at Cosby Knob shelter in GSMNP

I stayed at Cosby Knob last night and at dusk a ridiculously large bear came snooping up a bit too close for comfort. I talked to other hikers at Standing Bear this morning and several had told me that this guy stays in the area and likes to get close. If you're running through there, take extra care in storing your food.

Thanks for heads up Veetack!!

Have a reservation there for a section hike in June. Hoping I'm not the only one spending the night there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by judypudy View Post
    Have a reservation there for a section hike in June. Hoping I'm not the only one spending the night there.
    Judy, Judy, Judy.... with Mr. Grizz in your backyard, your worried about a few Black Bear?

Its pretty common this time of year in that area and north of the Smokies especially around Watauga Lake

Images

There were cub and adult sightings at Iron Mountain Shelter both north and south of the shelter and at the spring (above Watuga as Chaco Taco says).

Images

Funny story about this incident, actually. There was a young boy hiking with his father staying with us in the shelter, and he was kind of scared, so I told him that the bear was coming up just to tell him that only he could prevent forest fires. Provided a good laugh at a somewhat tense moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    Funny story about this incident, actually. There was a young boy hiking with his father staying with us in the shelter, and he was kind of scared, so I told him that the bear was coming up just to tell him that only he could prevent forest fires. Provided a good laugh at a somewhat tense moment.
    You gotta keep a sense of humor about it.

Actually, 13MAY, a guy had a bear canister "stolen" at Cosby Knob Shelter. He left it outside the shelter (on the ground) and, at about 6:30, we woke up and saw the bear down the hill by the stream, but never found the canister.

any pictures?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    any pictures?
    I only carry my iPhone as a camera, but unfortunately it was just a little too dark, and nothing would come out.

Images

Stayed at Derrick Knob in early may and had a visit similar to this at about 840pm. I tried to get ;photos but the flash was off and when I got it turned on, all I got was the eyes. He was about 15 yards from the front of the shelter. Cool experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    I stayed at Cosby Knob last night and at dusk a ridiculously large bear came snooping up a bit too close for comfort. I talked to other hikers at Standing Bear this morning and several had told me that this guy stays in the area and likes to get close. If you're running through there, take extra care in storing your food.

GSMNP Ranger called me the morning to tell me they changed my reservation from Cosby Knob to site 29 because they just closed that shelter. No word on how long, but he said the bear activity was becoming multiple aggressive bear activity.

Anyone used site 29 and know how far off trail it is?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by One-8T View Post
    GSMNP Ranger called me the morning to tell me they changed my reservation from Cosby Knob to site 29 because they just closed that shelter. No word on how long, but he said the bear activity was becoming multiple aggressive bear activity.

It's been many years since I was at #29 and I'd say it's in another location now.I think it may be a few miles down Snake Den Mtn. trail..

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    It's been many years since I was at #29 and I'd say it's in another location now.I think it may be a few miles down Snake Den Mtn. trail..

Thanks. I pulled the map and it is off of Snake Den Ridge and then down Maddron Bald Trail. Looks like it may be about 2.5 miles one way.

Quote Originally Posted by One-8T View Post

Crap, I'm supposed to be there Sat night. I guess Walnut Bottoms is my alternative SOBO? Or should I also go to 29?

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Crap, I'm supposed to be there Sat night. I guess Walnut Bottoms is my alternative SOBO? Or should I also go to 29?
    The ranger indicated to me that he was calling everyone that had reservations and telling them what there new site was. I tried to change mine up and change my days and mileage to another shelter and just skip this Cosby Knob, but he said everything was booked solid in both directions....

@one-8T- when was your reservation for Cosby Knob? I have one for June 8 - tried to change last week but same problem with full shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by judypudy View Post
    @one-8T- when was your reservation for Cosby Knob? I have one for June 8 - tried to change last week but same problem with full shelters.
    I was scheduled for Cosby Knob on June 28th. I am starting to think about changing the entire agenda but all shelters are at capacity it seems.

So got the call from the rangers this am. Was thinking I would have to skip GSMNP but by changing dates by one day, I'm reserved at the other AT shelters. Yay! What a relief - was impressed by the job the rangers did. Must be such a PITA to call all these people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++