WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sock liners

Default sock liners

How many of you all wear a pair of sock liners underneath your wool socks? I have been a barefoot runner for about 6 months now and am wondering if I need a pair or two to protect my feet from blisters for my SOBO thru.

Thanks

Journal Entries

I just wear one pair of THIN wool socks, or THIN polyester socks with my trail runners. I dont have blister problems. Neither does my son.

Images

An acquaintance who is an FBI agent / sniper, shared a special forces trick............womens knee high pantyhose, I use these, put some foot powder in them, then put my socks on, has worked really GREAT for me.

Hiking shoes 1/2 size bigger = almost no blisters the last few years.

Smartwools or Darn Tough socks for me. I haven't used liners since the days of Ragg wool socks back in the 70s to 90s.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I've been trying different things lately. Superfeet green insoles for one. I also want to add a pair of liner socks and do at least a few day hikes with thin socks only. I've pretty much eliminated blisters as it is, but I have to work at it, so I'm trying to see if I can keep them at bay with less constant attention.

I use to wear two sock liners vs hiking socks when I wore my old-school sundowners. Even when they were well worn, I'd get hot spots and the two pairs of thin liners helped reduce friction and blisters.

Nowadays, with the lighter shoes ... I just wear one set of wool shorty socks. Blisters have not been an issue (lately). Now, my knees and other joints?.....

I am a firm believer in thee ol' sock liner,when I take longer walks in the summer heat,I always bring an extra pair,and then put them on about half way through,and have pretty good sucsess with out blistering my tender not hike harden doggies.

I don't buy the products advertised as 'sock liners.' However I do wear a cheap pair of nylon dress socks underneath a thicker (warmer) pair of socks when I hike.

Most people in the general public have never even heard of sock liners. The idea is that you wear a thin sock (liner) on your foot with a thicker sock over top of it. The thin sock allows your foot to slide around slightly inside the other sock and your boot/shoe...this slight sliding prevents your boot/shoe from rubbing your foot and creating blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I don't buy the products advertised as 'sock liners.' However I do wear a cheap pair of nylon dress socks underneath a thicker (warmer) pair of socks when I hike.

Most people in the general public have never even heard of sock liners. The idea is that you wear a thin sock (liner) on your foot with a thicker sock over top of it. The thin sock allows your foot to slide around slightly inside the other sock and your boot/shoe...this slight sliding prevents your boot/shoe from rubbing your foot and creating blisters.
    Aye,and in addition,keep the foot dry,and thereby reduce friction and rubbing,which in turn keeps the skin from moving or breaking away from the tissue below which forewit and hither beit ka nown as......"The Blister".........sorry,it's been a big day.

I wear merino liners (Smartwool) year round with merino socks (Vermont Darn Tough) and that is the best combo for me. I've tried without liners and pay the price every time. Others do not seem to need liners. I wear trail runners, so it's not because of heavy boots. My suggestion is you try it both ways before you commit. Your feet are critical!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I didn't wear liners on my thru attempt this year - I got from Amicalola to Erwin (22 days) without getting a single blister or foot problem. I'm sure I'm very much an outlier in this regard, though. Just trail runners and swapped between a pair of Stoic Merino/poly/spandex blend socks and Lorpen wool/poly/spandex blend socks. Both pairs were thin-ish socks, thinner than most cotton crew socks, but definitely thicker than something like Smartwool liners.

I just wear the liners -no socks (any weather 50 and above). Below 50, just thin (smart)wool socks
    Last edited by bobqzzi; 05-25-2012 at 15:05.

I used to wear sock liners, but they really didn't help me much, still had issues with blisters. Lately I stopped using them, only hiking with Darn Tough merino Hike-Trek socks. If I did decide to use liners, I have lately tried the Injinji toe sock liners, and really liked them. They are great if you have a problem with blisters between the toes.

I started my thru hike with a pair of sock liners but ditched them soon after. Waste of money. Rubbing Body Glide on my feet every morning worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    .......If I did decide to use liners, I have lately tried the Injinji toe sock liners, and really liked them. They are great if you have a problem with blisters between the toes.
    I used Injinji socks on my first 50 mile run several years ago. They had a bad tendency of not staying up on my ankle- problematic after mile 30.

Since then I wear Feetures socks. The wicking characteristics are awesome and they stay up!

http://www.feeturesbrand.com/index.p...article&id=195

I haven't had a blister since I started using a liner sock. YRMV
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I used Injinji socks on my first 50 mile run several years ago. They had a bad tendency of not staying up on my ankle- problematic after mile 30.

Since then I wear Feetures socks. The wicking characteristics are awesome and they stay up!

http://www.feeturesbrand.com/index.p...article&id=195
    Those are some nice sox,i have one pair that are made by Asics,and they look those with all the attention to the weave.When I hold them up they hang pointed straight out at 90 degrees,very comfortable ,and very expensive $14 bucks one pair,had to try em,I guess they sold and made for runners doing long distance,they sure have held up well in the wash,with not much signs of wear,and still stand at attention.

Yep, runners socks are getting really expensive. Maybe we should market a pair of "rocketsocks"?

Images

I second the Injini socks - been wearing them as liners for a couple of years now and they work great in preventing blisters, especially between the toes where they have a tendency to rub. I pair them with IceBreaker wool socks and my feet are pretty much in heaven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++