WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2wk hike from Springer

I had planned to do my thru this year but something came up and I got off before I even got on. But I find myself longing for the trail and I don't want to wait until next year! I live in GA so its just a ride away.
    So, are there any concerns i should know about if I were to start at Spinger June 20th and hike for 2 weeks until July 4th-ish. I just want to grab my stuff and go and I wont be leaving anything behind. College classes start up in August and I just have to be back in time to register and such.
    I also want to take this opportunity to field test my gear and get a feeling for it. Thanks guys.

Weather?
    Park Regulations?
    Specific gear selection?
    Planning an April 2012 AT Thru for my 26th BDay!!!! Be patient with me!

Laziness is Creativity's evil brother. -Me

Springer Mountain GA in late June sounds Like it will be very hot. You live there so you would know better and it will be cooler in the mountains, but still very warm at night. If it were me I would go further north, northern VA, it will be a little cooler and more hikers will be around. Maybe consider New England, te Long Trail, etc... The bugs will still be out but will be a lot cooler at night. North Adams to Hanover would be a nice section as well.

Journal Entries

The heat/humidity in June makes Amicalola alone a real challenge ... I agree with stranger that heading north into Virginia for your start would make for a more enjoyable hike.

It's gonna be hot and humid anywhere in the south; I certainly wouldn't drive 7 hours each way to VA hoping for cooler weather which you may or may not find. If you want to hike Springer do it.

No park regulations to consider. The bear vault area in GA expires 6/1, and unless you are a stronger than average hiker you won't get to the GSMNP.

Hmmmm late June to early July. Northern Georgia to somewhere in NC. Hot and humid, T storms.. bugs.. you couldn't pay me to be in the deep south this time of year!

haha. alright guys. unfortunate news but im still considering it. part of me wants to ignore it and go anyway but we shall see. thanks!
    Planning an April 2012 AT Thru for my 26th BDay!!!! Be patient with me!

Laziness is Creativity's evil brother. -Me

Just my .02, the weather is gonna be a little warm.....but not nearly as warm as its gonna get this summer. Some of my best hikes have left Springer in June/July. Just stay hydrated, and enjoy the hike.
    TJ

I just got back from a section south of NOC. It was very hot. The bugs were bad. Deep woods off only kept them away about 15 minutes. The little black flies ate me up. I have welps all over my feet and ankles. I still had a great trip, but a note went into my trip book--cold weather hiking is better!

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    Just my .02, the weather is gonna be a little warm.....but not nearly as warm as its gonna get this summer. Some of my best hikes have left Springer in June/July. Just stay hydrated, and enjoy the hike.
    Exactly. When the OP thru hikes he's gonna run into conditions a lot hotter than GA in June.

If we only hiked in "good" weather we'd only hike in April and October.

Yes, it will be hot. Personally, as long as I can get plenty of water, I like it hot.

And honestly, it won't be *that* hot. I live in Georgia, too, and I'm looking forward to the August heat down here. For what it's worth, I was up at Springer last weekend, the beginning of June, and it was VERY COLD. You know, low 50s (very cold for those of us who are from here). Late June would be perfect for me. I've actually got a long weekend in early July, and will spend it backpacking somewhere in this state.

Go for it! Just make sure you know where the water sources are, and drink a lot of it. I would totally do the same thing if I could get away from work for a couple weeks.

I just finished a two week hike (Springer to NOC). It's a great hike. as others have said, it may be warm/hot but no way around that without going all the way to upper New England. I will say that I was dissapointed in the amount of trash around some of the campsites/shelters/firepits.I didn't see it when walking through the area in late March '10.The contents (alcohol bottles and cans, commercially available dehydrated foods, cans, etc.) makes me think it is a function of the casual weekenders moreso than the longer distance hikers (or maybe this is what I want to believe). I appreciate even more the volunteers who police the trail and have to pack out other's garbage. Saw several clubs and work crews out doing maintenance during my hike - thanks for your efforts. Water was plentiful as usual on that stretch.

It will be hot, but just drink water and have salty snacks. Take a mid afternoon siesta and do most of your miles in the morning and evening. The Smokies will be cooler than most other southern areas, in my experience. We found rhododendrons in full bloom in GSMNP by Cammerer lookout in the middle of July. Pretty awesome microclimate.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

The week of July 4th I am hiking from Springer to Standing Indian. I am a native from Atlanta though, the heat has never bothered me. The bugs are annoying but overall it is just part of the mental challenge. Im looking forward to it. Yes April, May, late september and October would be ideal...

If poison ivy/oak/sumac bother you, you might want to cover your legs....

For the past two years I've hiked the Georgia section of the AT in July & Aug. Temps were in the mid to upper 80's during the day & low to mid 60's at nite! Not bad at all! As for bugs....there were none to speak of . Maybe I just got lucky!
    I'm from the south & these temps were a good ten degrees cooler than in my hometown! It depends on what temps you're accustomed to .

A June 20 start does not necessarily mean it will be hot. So far this year June has been quite nice. Of course it could be much warmer in 10 days from now it also could be quite mild. We don't hit the dog days of summer where I will guarantee it to be hot up here until mid July.

Here is a link to our weather so far this month at Grassy Gap.

Grassy Gap AT Weather June

You will be hiking through the green tunnel so trail temps will stay pleasant til about noon. Your plan should include sunrise starts so you can get 8 hours of hiking in by 2:30. Make camp at higher elevations. About 5 degrees cooler, minimal bugs, and more breezes. Of course you may have to carry water to you campsite as most water is found in the lower gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalton View Post
    If poison ivy/oak/sumac bother you, you might want to cover your legs....
    +1

Not a bumper crop like last year but still plenty around.

I am headed down there this Saturday....Springer to Dicks Creek. Enjoy your hike.

Journal Entries

Default springer to ?

were driving down from ohio, planning on starting at springer on sunday the 24th, hiking till july 1. thanks for the info it will help us also. two other questions. we are planning on dropping a car off around neels gap then keep moving one car down till we run out of time.
    1) where is good place to park a car around neels gap (planning on parking 1 at amicaloa falls)
    2)you think there will be alot of hikers on this section.

Thanks Shack

++ New Posts ++