WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Medical Insurance

Hi there,

What are the options for medical insurance for hikers?

I'm too old to be put on my folks insurance. And I won't be working so there's no coverage there.

I'm an American. I live overseas if that makes any difference. And I'll be 35 by the time I try a thru-hike.

-Don't suggest hiking without it. I did that before, and got injured. It was a nightmare!

There are high deductible major medical health insurance policies---Golden Rule used to carry them---which are "affordable" (at least compared to a normal health insurance policy). Typically this type of policy would only cover severe injuries or illness after the deductible is met. You would have to pay out of pocket for regular doctor office or clinic visits but that is why the policies are less expensive than more inclusive health coverage. You should be able to find out more on line.

yeah.. this is part of what really sucks to be an American.

Your best bet would be to get some form of high deductible temporary insurance. six months say.

The problem with insurance policies is this: The ones that are anywhere near affordable have either a huge deductible or only cover a very small insurance amount or there is fine print where they do not cover "adventure or recreational sport activities.". You are better to set aside $500 that you would spend on a policy and use it to self-insure yourself and hope to God that you won't require it. If nothing happens, then at least you'll have the $500. Many people are lulled into a false sense of security by thinking they are "insured." When they look at their policy though, they realize it wouldn't even cover most problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    yeah.. this is part of what really sucks to be an American.

Your best bet would be to get some form of high deductible temporary insurance. six months say.
    I disagree with your first point. There is nothing that "sucks" about having to pay your own way. Freedom has a cost.

I agree with your second point. OP, just Google short term health insurance. There are lots of choices, some are very affordable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Images

are you 41 and will be 35 when you hike? or opposite.
    you say you WON'T be working, but will you have just left a job. if so checkout COBRA.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hi,
    Not sure where you are living but I am from the UK. I have health problems but managed to get cover for 90 days for just over 100 pounds (160 dollars) - I have medical complications and so thought that it was pretty reasonable. Suggest you buy travel insurance in the country you are residing rather then wait till you get to the USA.

Garlic
    Images

I've been paying for (and have never used) a major-medical policy through Golden Rule for over 15 years now. It's affordable and hopefully will cover me for a heart attack or car accident. It does not cover office visits. So you should have some savings to cover minor stuff and the large deductible. You should also be basically healthy. The few times I've been to a doc, I've been able to negotiate a cash discount because it's easier for everyone if you don't make a claim.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I live in S. Korea. I do contract year long teaching jobs. One of the nice things is the medical coverage. When the contract is over, so is the coverage. Whenever I go home for a visit or do a hiking trip I am totally uncovered and it is really scary. What I will need is a short term 6 month-ish policy. And a policy that will cover office visits. Any idea how much this might cost? Saw the lonely planet travel insurance. Too bad it is for every country except the US!

I may be wrong, but policies that I remember looking at that covered office visits with a low deductible or co-pay like $20 were at least close to $200+ per month. No matter how young you were. That's $1200+ for insurance for 6 months.

thumbs up Good luck!

I'm American but live overseas as well, for 10 years now. I hike long distances often in the states and don't have medical insurance, if something serious happened I would just come home and have it dealt with ( for free) cause a serious mishap would end my hike anyway...but it's a risk obviously.

Look at travel insurance options as opposed to medical insurance, might be cheaper.

I'm American and live in the U.S., and will quit my job when it's time for my thru (and, most likely, start my own business when I get back). My main reasons for getting a high deductible policy when that happens are for catastrophic coverage (I once had a cancer scare when I was trying to get along without insurance-- never again), and so I don't fall into the "pre-existing condition" trap once I can afford regular insurance again. That is, if I have a gap in insurance, I may have trouble getting certain things covered for a year or two once I have more extensive insurance in place.

As for self insurance, when I had my scare, it started as a tummy-ache. Just getting the test at the ER to rule out appendicitis cost me $3,000. You might want to set aside a little more than $500.

Current minimun standard requires insurers to cover an annual checkup. Buy the high deductable insurance, ( yes, it will cost a couple of hundred a month) make sure you're healthy setting out, and be prepared to shell out up to $10,000 for "minor" medical costs. Thats about the best you can do in the USA at present.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Golden rule cost two of us about $300 for 6 months in 2005. It's very affordable. COBRA is not. It is short term though (6 months with maybe an option to extend to 1 year). Deductible was in the $1k range.

You are better off not having insurance.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...049,full.story

++ New Posts ++