WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks to all the replies. I am a bit more reassured now. So we'll get off to the local 'all the gear and no idea' outdoors shop for insect repellents, giant cans of CS Gas, and a decent back pack, and we're all set

Seriously, your comments have helped.

N

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nodric View Post
    Wise and sagely advice. Thank you for the link, which I will check out.

We live in a quiet town, and one that is not known for gun crazed loonies, but we plan on moving back to the bigger metropolises in time, so having some home protection is attractive.

I assume the best defense against a bear is to give it room as the other poster said, and make lots of noise so it knows we are there? My wife has an amazing set of lungs, and on our last mini hike she scared a 7 foot black snake away with them, and terrified the crap out of me
    With regards to your concern about black bears, I would recommend you take some time and read through the North American Bear Center's website, it will clear up a lot of the common fears and misconceptions regarding Black bears.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/why-we-fear-bears.html

Personally, the only wild animals I fear while hiking are deer ticks.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Of course you'll need a firearm. Nothing less than a long gun chambered for .950 JDJ will do though

yes. definitely bring one.... Oh wait you said a gun? i thought u were asking if a sleeping bag is essential equipment. When it comes to running into wildlife the best thing you can do is follow your instincts. unfortunately human instinct is to shoot/gut/eat anything that crosses our paths.

In the UK and Europe the most dangerous thing is traffic
    This is true in the US also. Depending upon who is doing the counting, black bears kill on average .5 people per year. Bees and wasps kill 53, deer well over 100, and automobiles 30,000. You're much safer on the trail than off it.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Journal Entries
    Images

Of course not.

I think he'll miss out on every AYCE on the trail. Never seen any of 'em allow a long gun inside.

Just reading some of the latest replies. FYI I don't eat meat :P I asked the question as an uninformed noob as meeting anything bigger than a mouse (humans excepted) when walking in Europe is unknown, and bears tend to be big things that can out run, out climb, and out swim any man, and of course they are better at fighting than men

I never even considered gun ownership before moving to the US if that tells us something about society I intend to enjoy the nature, but will probably ensure that our first 'really' wild experience is with others more experienced, but I am reassured for any day trails we may take, especially those that are busy in the tourism season.

I know they have sarcasm in the EU. Sorry for being an insensitive American pig-swine.

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    This is true in the US also. Depending upon who is doing the counting, black bears kill on average .5 people per year. Bees and wasps kill 53, deer well over 100, and automobiles 30,000. You're much safer on the trail than off it.
    that's why we kill so many deer, here in the South. Its US or THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    that's why we kill so many deer, here in the South. Its US or THEM!
    In the west its usually a murder-suicide. I suspect the policy of maintaining very high deer populations is a plot of the auto body repair industry.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If you yell at a black bear, it will run away. There are probably people here who would say you shouldn't yell, because then how do you get a good picture of it, but I'm still just nervous enough around them that I tend to yell at them.

It is a very, very rare occasion that it will not run. You face FAR more danger from ticks, and from other cars when you drive from the airport to the trailhead, than you do from bears.

In seriousness, on the gun question, I've had more than a few people ask me to carry a gun because I'm a female solo hiker, and the danger comes from other people, not bears. I have considered it. In the end, there are way more cons than pros, not the least of which is that guns are heavy, I'm a small person, and every ounce counts!

A good slingshot and hand grenades are always an option. The trick is knowing exactly when to pull the pin.

Just reading some of the latest replies. FYI I don't eat meat :P I asked the question as an uninformed noob as meeting anything bigger than a mouse (humans excepted) when walking in Europe is unknown, and bears tend to be big things that can out run, out climb, and out swim any man, and of course they are better at fighting than men

I never even considered gun ownership before moving to the US if that tells us something about society I intend to enjoy the nature, but will probably ensure that our first 'really' wild experience is with others more experienced, but I am reassured for any day trails we may take, especially those that are busy in the tourism season.
    Because we have a bigger brain. Humans have been killing these stronger beasts for tens of thousands of years when the Indians first arrived on this continent and modern hunters keep up the tradition.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by glaux View Post
    If you yell at a black bear, it will run away. There are probably people here who would say you shouldn't yell, because then how do you get a good picture of it, but I'm still just nervous enough around them that I tend to yell at them.

It is a very, very rare occasion that it will not run. You face FAR more danger from ticks, and from other cars when you drive from the airport to the trailhead, than you do from bears.

In seriousness, on the gun question, I've had more than a few people ask me to carry a gun because I'm a female solo hiker, and the danger comes from other people, not bears. I have considered it. In the end, there are way more cons than pros, not the least of which is that guns are heavy, I'm a small person, and every ounce counts!
    You can get a pretty light six shot ruger .380 that will fit inconspicuously in your hip belt pocket. I've considered it for myself. I'm more frightened of running up on some nefarious souls than a bear. People do all sorts of things in the woods: moonshining, brewing meth, poaching, adulterating... All of which they might be mad about if you find them.

Of course on the AT thats probably not an issue, but on lesser known hiking paths...it's possible.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

The dangerous scenario you could possibly face in WV is some toothless hillbilly trying to gum you to death. No gun needed.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    ... People do all sorts of things in the woods: moonshining, brewing meth, poaching, adulterating... All of which they might be mad about if you find them.

I saw a guy on the trail adulterating food once. I'm a food lover myself, but that was just sick.

Always strapped. 10mm Auto

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I saw a guy on the trail adulterating food once. I'm a food lover myself, but that was just sick.
    You don't mean ...he was noodleing his raimen............................................ ................I'm really sorry about that!

Images

I carry a gun everyday concealed legally everyday, except days spent on the trail. The people and the wild life on the trail aren't what worry me, it's the morons in the cities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++