WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Lightning?

Default Lightning?

New to the whole longterm overnight camping/hiking thing and I was just wondering what people do during a lightning storm. I have read what you should do and I am not considering taking this lightly but really what do others actually do? I really would like to do some longterm hikes but not really knowing what to do in a lightning storm is kinda holding me back. Any advice would be great and thanks in advance for it!

Mostly just keep hiking. I wouldn't go up onto an exposed ridge or summit, but if the trees are tall I don't worry about it.

Wow,If that's all that's holding you back,then your in pretty good shape.Hey lightning happens,but doing the very things you've probably already read is exactly what most people do,some of these things include

Don't seek refuge under a tree.
    Dont seek refuge in a shallow cave
    Make your self as small as possible,and squat down on the ground,but only with your feet,don't have your hands out in front of you.The reasons is a difference in/of potential,which is to say that if your hands and feet are far apart the there is more resistence,and you'll fry with the addtional heat.or something like that.
    Don't stay on a ridge when a storm is approaching,head down to the vally.
    Don't being the highest object around in a open area,better to be amongst some squatty bushes,but don't make contact.
    What you want to avoid is becoming like a resister,so if lightning strikes near you,on a small tree say and then jumps to you,then you just became part of the ground ciricut.All this stuff is pretty standard in that is really just a lot of common sence things that can save you the most/quickest,and not following those things can get you killed quick,like standing in a stream when a storm approaches.If you have a specific question,ask away,and I'm sure someone can help you out.Oh and as always HYOH,and to White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    Mostly just keep hiking. I wouldn't go up onto an exposed ridge or summit, but if the trees are tall I don't worry about it.
    I happen to agree with this,theres only so much you can do,so do those things you can,cause when it comes right down to it....Lighttening happens!

Although Central Florida is considered to be "the lightning Capitol of the US," I think Tucson isn't far behind. About 2 yrs ago, an elderly man was at a cemetery here and was placing flowers on his son's grave. He was zapped by lightning and died. You have to use common sense, but I can tell you my poles will be put away and I'll be trying to find shelter and calling it a day until the lightning lets up.

Some things you can do:

Go to lower ground if possible.
    Remove your pack as quickly as you can.
    Put on rain gear.
    Obviously, immediately put away your poles.
    Don't stand under one tree all by itself.
    Leave pack at least 100 ft from where you are waiting the storm out.
    Don't hike in a group when looking for shelter. Stay at least 100 ft apart and seek shelter 100 ft apart.
    DO try to stand under a lower bunch of trees or in a lower group of boulders. (Obviously not where one will fall on you)
    If you are getting ready to pitch your tent and think it might thunder or rain, do not tent in a wide open field or hilltop where your tent will act like a lightning rod. Instead, pitch your tent near a low grove of trees.

If you get struck by lightning (or electrocuted), you can join a club/support group http://www.lightning-strike.org/Desk....aspx?tabid=49

I've never been struck by lightning, but I've had some pretty good shocks and some pretty scary encounters with large amounts of electrical current. I've seen a lightning bolt shoot out of a radar cabinet, pretty scary; maybe I can become a member

And this link from the above website tracks yearly statistics on lightning strikes http://www.struckbylightning.org/

Don't be a fool, get out of the pool

Breaking story 4 people just got struck by lightening in Chester County. PA

It's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Breaking story 4 people just got struck by lightening in Chester County. PA
    A group I was hiking with in Ma. a few years ago got caught in a thunderstorm on a ridge with shortish trees (about 15 feet or so). One thing I remembered was to spread out so that if lightning struck one of us, the others might be able to assist the stricken hiker. We were fine, despite having to set up camp in the rain (what's new ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Be sure to unplug your TV, computer and all other electronic devices, lightning will destroy those things.

On a serious note, ive been in a number of storms. Theres just not alot you can do other than try to find a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Although Central Florida is considered to be "the lightning Capitol of the US," I think Tucson isn't far behind. About 2 yrs ago, an elderly man was at a cemetery here and was placing flowers on his son's grave. He was zapped by lightning and died. You have to use common sense, but I can tell you my poles will be put away and I'll be trying to find shelter and calling it a day until the lightning lets up.

Some things you can do:

Go to lower ground if possible.
    Remove your pack as quickly as you can.
    Put on rain gear.
    Obviously, immediately put away your poles.
    Don't stand under one tree all by itself.
    Leave pack at least 100 ft from where you are waiting the storm out.
    Don't hike in a group when looking for shelter. Stay at least 100 ft apart and seek shelter 100 ft apart.
    DO try to stand under a lower bunch of trees or in a lower group of boulders. (Obviously not where one will fall on you)
    If you are getting ready to pitch your tent and think it might thunder or rain, do not tent in a wide open field or hilltop where your tent will act like a lightning rod. Instead, pitch your tent near a low grove of trees.
    hi pilot good list.has anyone ever become a conductor in a wet hammock between two trees.

Freakin' crazy storm happening now. The thunder is so powerful that it's literally shaking the house. Reminds me of a few times in the tent. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMapFull.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    If you get struck by lightning (or electrocuted), you can join a club/support group http://www.lightning-strike.org/Desk....aspx?tabid=49

I've never been struck by lightning, but I've had some pretty good shocks and some pretty scary encounters with large amounts of electrical current. I've seen a lightning bolt shoot out of a radar cabinet, pretty scary; maybe I can become a member

And this link from the above website tracks yearly statistics on lightning strikes http://www.struckbylightning.org/

Don't be a fool, get out of the pool
    Who is John Gualt?
    I ain't totin that!

++ New Posts ++