WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike in Va ???

Has anyone done the section from Bland Va to Pearisburg, im thinking about this section later this year and was just wondering how rough it would be for someone who hasn't hiked in a few years.

Shouldn't be a problem. There is a decent uphill out of Bland to the first shelter, and one of the shelters past that has a long downhill to a water source, but other than that, its a nice hike.

Images

I did that section last summer. Not brutal at all, though not flat (as some LIE about Virginia!). I posted a photo album, in case you'd like to see and read about my hike.

Rain Man's photo album: Bland-to-Pearisburg.

I always try to do some conditioning hikes before an AT section hike. Sometimes it's a week's worth, other time a month or two.

I definitely recommend Woods Hole Hostel and Trent's Grocery as good places to stop and stay or eat.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Plan to stay at Woods Hole Hostel the night before Pearisburg. It's a wonderful place, great food, and great atmosphere.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

Woods Hole.............DEFINITELY don't miss that, day before, Dismal Falls was AWESOME.

Camped there alone...........really excellent, recommended by Michael at Woods Hole

Just got back last night from doing Marion (partnership shelter) to Woods Hole.

Marion to Bland is somewhat difficult, but Bland to Pearisburg is a cake walk.

Lots of nice camping spots between shelters, I didn't stay in a shelter once during this section.

Took me 6 days to do the 90 miles between Partnership and Woods Hole, dispite being pretty run down when I started. I had just come from a convention in Dayton OH, where I was up early and to bed late for 4 days after a 36 hour bus ride to get to Dayton. I was pretty much a zombie when I hit the trail. Oh, then it got really hot and humid, which really slows me down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Grayson Highlands (Maggie Gap) south to Hwy 58 was the prettiest hike I have experienced on the AT.

++ New Posts ++