WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Any snakeologists out there?

126. Another Cool Snake at Stecoah Gap.jpg88. Cool Looking Snake.jpg

Saw these 2 snakes during my section hike last week in southern North Carolina. The snake in the first pic kind of freaked me out because when slithered off the trail his tail was rattling. But it was just his tail in the dry leaves! Haha. I breathed a little easier then. Any ideas what kind of snakes these are?

Thanks,
    Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

The first is a Black Racer. They will rattle leaves loud enough to make you jump. Not poison, but bite like hell again and again if you pick one up.
    The second is a Garter Snake, harmless, seldom bites, doesn't hurt.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Also known as a Ribbon Snake.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You're more likely to get bit by one of these than et by a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    You're more likely to get bit by one of these than et by a bar.
    This time ya got it right.

The first is a Black Racer. They will rattle leaves loud enough to make you jump. Not poison, but bite like hell again and again if you pick one up.
    I herd that a black racers excrete some kind of Anticoagulant,but never really researched this,and then again,I think many animals in the kindom probably do this too.???

Journal Entries

Garter Snakes will bite and are aggressive. Had on a few weeks ago jump out at me on the trail, it struck out at me 2-3 times before going on its way.
    Tridavis

Quote Originally Posted by tridavis View Post
    Garter Snakes will bite and are aggressive. Had on a few weeks ago jump out at me on the trail, it struck out at me 2-3 times before going on its way.
    Kind like the Chiwawa,of the snake world.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Kind like the Chiwawa,of the snake world.
    Too Funny!
    Cheers,

Spoppy

Ex Umbris Ad Lucem

I herd that a black racers excrete some kind of Anticoagulant,but never really researched this,and then again,I think many animals in the kindom probably do this too.???
    Don't know about that, but they will excrete a nasty stinky substance as a warning when threatened.

Images

In SNP on the Cedar Run-White Oak Canyon trail on Saturday I had a baby snake cross my path. He was basically dark (not black, not brown) with little whitish yellow bands across him (not up and down him) and his head was far more whitish yellow marked than the dark background color. I wish I had photographed him but I didn't. Any ideas? I did check websites that show snakes in the mid-atlantic and in SNP and none of them matched this one.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    Don't know about that, but they will excrete a nasty stinky substance as a warning when threatened.
    I read once (don't remember where) that copperheads put off quite the reeking odor. Flies are attracted to it. The article said if you're near a fire pit or at a shelter (or really anywhere along a trail) and there seems to be an usually large flock of flies right there it may well be a sign of a copperhead nest.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Oh,just like hikers do,cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I read once (don't remember where) that copperheads put off quite the reeking odor. Flies are attracted to it. The article said if you're near a fire pit or at a shelter (or really anywhere along a trail) and there seems to be an usually large flock of flies right there it may well be a sign of a copperhead nest.
    Note to self......thanks

Note to self......thanks
    I've always heard copperheads smell kind of like cucumbers. No joke. Many times I've caught a whiff of something snakey before actually seeing any snake, so there may be something to it.

I've always heard copperheads smell kind of like cucumbers. No joke. Many times I've caught a whiff of something snakey before actually seeing any snake, so there may be something to it.
    Yep,I've herd the cucumber thing to,but never the stinky thing,but have never smelled either....ecept the smelly hiker thing,oh wait that was my stupid joke.

Black snakes also hunt and eat other snakes, quite successfully I might add...Came across black snakes making meals of copperheads and rattlers and many other snakes.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Also known as a Ribbon Snake.
    A ribbon snake is a different snake than a Garter snake

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    Black snakes also hunt and eat other snakes, quite successfully I might add...Came across black snakes making meals of copperheads and rattlers and many other snakes.
    Yup, they're good snakes even though they are a tad aggressive. I've always heard you either have black snakes or copperheads/rattlers, and if you don't have any of the above, you'll have rats and mice. The rodent problem in shelters would be a lot better if people didn't mess with the snakes.

Yup, they're good snakes even though they are a tad aggressive. I've always heard you either have black snakes or copperheads/rattlers, and if you don't have any of the above, you'll have rats and mice. The rodent problem in shelters would be a lot better if people didn't mess with the snakes.
    That is very interesting Scree,and makes alot of sence.I dig little anecdotes like that.

++ New Posts ++