WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 100 Mile Wilderness logistical questions

Hi folks,

I'm preparing a hike of the 100 mile wilderness and wanted to throw some questions out to the group here.

1. I'm planning to start right below Gulf Hagas and head north. My partner and I are both comfortable with 10 mile days. I figure 9 days to do it from that point to Katahdin Stream Campground. Does that sound about right? Climbing Katahdin on day 10. It looks fairly easy after after Whitecap Mountain.

2. Do I need a reservation at Katahdin Stream? What if I don't have one? I know stealth camping is not allowed in the park, so what would my other options be?

3. If I park my car in Millinocket, is there a shuttle service to bring me and my partner back to the start point? Can I park at Baxter?

4. Is resupply possible at Whitehouse Landing?

5. Leaving end of July - I'm guessing thru hikers will be in that area at that point if they are early?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. Feel free to fire over a link to info if that's easier.

Any other bits of wisdom/advice/tips are welcome.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes you need a reservation. You could wing it when you get there, but you may not like where you end up camping (like in another camping area far away from KSC - and you'll only have your feet to get you there. Don't stealth unless you'd like a big fine and get kicked out of the park. Or you could try to get a ride out of there that day to Millinocket. Or have Ol Man pick you up after your hike if he is available.

Check with Ol Man at the hiker hostel in Millinocket for shuttles.

Yes you can resupply at WHL. Just get enough to get you to Abol Bridge, there's a store there.

Probably will see some thrus but mostly you'll see huge youth French- Canadian youth groups.

Should be good with miles.

Deerflies are troublesome, black flies non existent then.
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-30-2012 at 14:45.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default White House Landing

WHL well worth a visit for a feed and resupply.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

What Blissful said...
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. No worries - I have no intentions of stealth camping illegally in Baxter. Just wondered what other legal options there were besides KSC.

Am I right that the trail gets considerably easier after Whitecap?

Default 100 Mile Wilderness logistical questions

Where is lighthouse landing? I'm not finding it in my material.

Images

According to their website:

"White House Landing is located 32 trail miles south of Abol Bridge and 68 miles north of Monson.To reach our dock from the trail, turn off the AT at the Mahar Tote Road. You will find the road south of the Nahmakanta Stream Campsite and north of the Potaywadjo Lean-To (on your map, it is shown as a dotted line going down to the stream)."

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/index.html

When I was at White House Landing 2 years ago (in Oct.), I found the resupply to be somewhat thin. There wasn't a lot available. I was able to get 1 tuna packet, a few snacks, and some dog food. This was NO supermarket by any means. Nor was it a Hilton. I stayed in the bunk house because I had my dog. There was no laundry, heat, or electricity available. Only the main(owner's) house had electric power when they ran the generator. They had gas for cooking (I recommend the 1 pound hamburger) and gas lighting, which was kinda cool. The breakfast was outstanding as I remember.
    The point is to realize it is very rustic, perhaps primitive, compared to other places, and the prices were quite high for supplies as I recall. You can get a shower and hot meal, but can't charge the cell phone or do laundry. Of coarse, it's the only game for 100mi.

I thought I would have it a little easier by arranging a food drop near Gulf Hagas, on "Ole Man's" suggestion. That would allow me to carry just 3day's worth of food at a time (I'm a slow poke). Unfortunately, he stashed my food 2 days too late, so I had to get into Monson. He's a nice guy, but his error forced me off the trail. If you plan something like that, consider using someone in Monson. I would check with Rebecca at the Lake House (I think it's called). She hooked me up with a very accommodating shuttle driver. Everyone raves about her, I really enjoyed my stay with her.

That section is relatively flat terrain, but very wet, muddy and lots of roots to trip on. And it's really wet. You will probable not need 10 days, depending where you start. I found that I didn't bother to change into Crocs to cross streams. I simply marched right through streams in my hiking shoes and wool socks. It helped to rinse some of the mud out of them.
    The thru-hikers all seem to skip right past Gulf Hagas. I took a half day and did it. I highly recommend it, it's stunning. Bring an extra camera battery. I also suggest camping at Antlers campground. It's a small peninsula sticking out into a lake. You get sunset and sunrise in one spot.
    Have a great time, oh yeah...it's very wet!!!

Hammocking on the peninsula at Antlers Campsite:

[/URL]
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

whitehouse landing camps has plenty of supplies for going south or north,when you came in through in oct.our supplies might of been down cause we close the 15th of that month so we do not restock...which makes sense.,laundry is done the old fashion way with wash tub,there is a wood stove for heat when needed along with gas lighting,our house has solar and wind and we charge many phones and cameras... we are not primitive by no means. rustic yes,would not want to be the Hilton.

Many of our thru-hiker friends from last year had a great time stopping at Whitehouse Landing. Don't miss it!

++ New Posts ++