WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Energy drinks

Images

Question Energy drinks

Has anyone tried something like the 5 Hour Energy drink when facing a particularly grueling section of trail? I've never tried any of them for any reason, but I am curious if they'd help get me past that "dead tired to the bone" feeling going up a steep hill for miles and miles. I do use GuGels, when I remember to bring them, and they do help a little bit. Just wondering.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Never while hiking, but I have used energy drinks during ultramarathons for the same purpose. I suspect most of the effect is psychological, but they can provide a bit of a boost.

The big drawback is that they inevitably come with a crash, regardless of what the marketing on the package says. The only way to stave that off is to keep consuming large amounts of caffeine, which isn't very wise or practical.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Has anyone tried something like the 5 Hour Energy drink when facing a particularly grueling section of trail? I've never tried any of them for any reason, but I am curious if they'd help get me past that "dead tired to the bone" feeling going up a steep hill for miles and miles. I do use GuGels, when I remember to bring them, and they do help a little bit. Just wondering.
    Mrs. B...I'm not sure what could possibly be in those little bottles, giving one all that energy. Long day, low on fluids and heart beating pretty good, I'd be leary about putting any enhancers in me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Mrs. B...I'm not sure what could possibly be in those little bottles, giving one all that energy. Long day, low on fluids and heart beating pretty good, I'd be leary about putting any enhancers in me.
    Oh, I agree. I just wanted to find out if anyone had tried them and what the results were. I'll stick with the GuGels for now.

I've used them once or twice. More to overcome a sleepless night than a long climb. One morning I climbed from Hughes Gap to Roan on 4 hours sleep the night before, dead tired I had a 5-hr energy shot and was good to go to the next shelter.

Naw. Wholesome foods and water. Your ancestors got you here without energy shots and carbohydrate gels

Run, hike, bike, chill.

I totally agree with Velvet Gooch's post! However, if you do want a modern day advantage I'd recommend something a little more natural like coffee. You can get the instant packs and I think Starbucks even makes an iced version which can be mixed into your water bottles. The GUshots you talk of should also work just fine and the ones with caffeine in them could be an added bonus. How about taking a Vitamin B complex too? That's basically what a 5-Hour energy is: a cup of coffee with a mega dose of B vitamins.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

A box of no-doz is a lot cheaper and probably safer too.

Ive tried the 5 hour energy a few times, but only once while hiking. It didnt seem to do very much while hiking. I was fatigued just the same. In every day life though it seems to prevent further sleepiness. It doesnt give me any surge or energy. I think its sad how some people need to rely on these concentrated doses of caffeine!

Energy drinks always make me crash too. One minute I'm shaking, the next, I can barely keep my eyes open. I was thinking of bringing some protein powder. Mix some up in your water, it'll give your muscles some fuel, instead of jittery caffiene. Anyone else every try that?

"Energy" comes from calories.

5 hour energy drinks contain 4 calories.

If you need that kind of "energy" -- I don't -- then I agree with the comment above re NoDoz.

Images

I have been using 'Eco Drink' Daily Multivitamin Advantage. A healthy and convenient way to get your recommended daily allowance of essential vitamin and minerals. A refreshing delicious thirst quencher and excellent nutrient delivery system. No sugar or calories!

Images

Thanks for the responses. I won't be using any of that "energy" drinks. I was just curious about them. The Gu Gels work fine for me (and I love the Espresso Love and Chocolate flavors). I did find, on our last hike of 9 miles that involved a very long steep 4 mile climb at the end, that NOT sitting down to eat one big lunch but instead stopping now and then to eat one item from it, worked way way better in terms of energy. Having a stomach full of food in the heat of the day just made me even more dragged down and sleepy. This last time we stopped about every couple of miles thru out the hike to eat something. On the last 4 miles I ate a big fresh orange and a little later a cup of diced peaches. I felt so much better doing it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    A box of no-doz is a lot cheaper and probably safer too.
    I usually pack a few caffeine pills.
    Some good food and a half a pill are a good energy boost.
    The aftertaste of those energy shots are pretty bad.

I like small snacks throughout the day too. Most of the time I just keep hiking slowly while I eat.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

A Big Colossal bar, an 8oz Red Bull and a couple of Marlboro Lights was a trail breakfast that I saw a few times last year. Seemed to work out fine for the people who tried it (note: they were all under 30).
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Hammer nutrition makes excellent products for sports like biking and running. I use their HEED and gel for my enduro races and have seen a dramatic improvement in my performance and not laying under the truck for an hour after a race!!!! Their stuff is all natural and has no freaky crash type stuff going on. I plan to take several of their Recoverite packets for the first couple days to help with muscle fatigue and general soreness and it works great. You can google their name to get to the website or hit your local bike shops to find their products.

Images

I use Hammer Nutrition Fizz they are tablets http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks I just drop in my water bottle it refreshes me and they are light and easy to carry about the size of a quarter. I have used 5 hour energy during an adventure race though.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I use coffee - - nothing better

seriously - I do but I also use these mixes with powdered milk:

www.spiru-tein.com/

I'm partial to one particular Energy Shot. It's loaded with complex carbs, protein, fiber, unsaturated essential fats, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and antioxidants.
    It's called oatmeal with dried fruit, nuts, milk, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.

Images

in the winter i would mix,
    2 scoops instant coffee
    instant milk
    powered chocolate mix
    12 oz water for drink.

with the PB bagel and cold oatmeal w/raisins it would get me to 10am.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++