WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hammock or tent- the first 86 miles of trail from spinger mtn to standing indian

I am doing this section hike in July and can't decide if I should take my tent or hammock. Just a few questions for you guys.

1. I have a Castaway paraschute hammock that I love, I have never slept a full night in it though but have snoozed in it several times when camping. It is super comfortable. Anyway I also have a big agnus mummy pad that holds heat, I thought of using that as my pad on the hammock to trap heat then using a sleeping bag or quilt (summer in georgia is pretty warm even in the mountains). For netting I have purchased a netting device made for emu hammocks but will fit on mine just the same. I am also going to buy a tarp for the rain.

2. I use a peak 1 cobra tent I have had since 1998. this is a two man tent however only has one pole, it weighs 3lbs and I love it. I love the extra room it gives me to store my pack inside.

My hammock set up is a little lighter, not sure on the exact weight but I know the hammock is lighter.

Which do you think I should use on my trip and any tips or suggestions?

Images

If you have never slept overnight in the hammock, then I would nix that. Hammock camping comes with a learning curve. I have been using one for 20 months now, averaging about 3 nights a month. Now I would be comfortable using it on the section hike (in fact have one planned for September), but I would have been reluctant to do so with less than an reasonable number of nights under my belt to work out the kinks.

Good luck, and have fun whichever you take.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Thanks so much for the advice. This was my biggest concern really, it is a new concept for me. I have always had my tent as my securitiy blanket since I started backpacking in the mid 90s. I would eventually like to convert to a hammock set up, I just don't know if this trip is the time to do it. What I should do is just start out with weekend trips and try sleeping in the hammock overnight.

Also I am a slide sleeper naturally and when I do sleep on my back I snore which wakes me up. Looks like you answered my question. Thanks for not slamming me for owning a cheap hammock and coleman product tent.

Peace.

Images

The truth is I would rather see you take the time to learn the hammock in a "safe" environment, figure out what's best, work the bugs out. Then take what you have learned onto the trail. As for me, I used to have a 5 lb, 2 man/solo tent. Hard to knock one that weighs 3 lbs if it works for you.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

I prefer the hammock. Spend at least 5 nights in the hammock before you leave. Find different locations to set it up each time (not just your backyard) and under different conditions. Make sure you have tested it in the rain, high wind, chilly nights, and make sure you can set it up in the dark. If you still don't feel comfortable after the 5 trials, take the tent. Happy hiking!

aka Kudzu
    Images

Use the time between now and July to do some practice runs in the hammock. Personally I can't think of going back to the ground.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++