WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default New ideas please for snacks and desserts

I am looking for unusual and different ideas I haven't tried or thought of in regards to snacks and or desserts on the trail. They need to have at least a month until the expiration date. Here is what i have eaten before or have thought of: Pop Tarts Granola bars Nutri-grain/fruit bars Pudding Jello Flavored pretzels Cookies Crackers Candy bars of all shapes and sizes and flavors. Fig Bars Various/misc kinds of candy Brownies Cake Cornbread Muffins All different mixes of trail mix. Misc flavors of jerky BTW, I know some of these almost everybody has thought of, but I put them on the list so you know I have as well. Let's hear some ideas please, and I look forward to tasting the ones that sound good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I am looking for unusual and different ideas I haven't tried or thought of in regards to snacks and or desserts on the trail. They need to have at least a month until the expiration date. Here is what i have eaten before or have thought of: Pop Tarts Granola bars Nutri-grain/fruit bars Pudding Jello Flavored pretzels Cookies Crackers Candy bars of all shapes and sizes and flavors. Fig Bars Various/misc kinds of candy Brownies Cake Cornbread Muffins All different mixes of trail mix. Misc flavors of jerky BTW, I know some of these almost everybody has thought of, but I put them on the list so you know I have as well. Let's hear some ideas please, and I look forward to tasting the ones that sound good.

DAMN!! I apologize, the food list was originally a separate paragraph, as well as the last sentence. When posted, it came up as the above with no commas. Is there some way to make sure it stays separated when i go to post next time?

I always enjoy some sort of exotic chocolate. My fav so far is Chili pepper dark chocolate

Images

I have enjoyed the heck out of a nice bag of really good carmel corn with either almonds or pecans, sugar and carbs and everything nice

Images

Thimble berries and or hucks slighly mashed, crushed oreos, 1 oz amaretto, mix, warm over stove. enjoy.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Nutella or especially the 1.5 oz packets of Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter.

Payday bars.. carmel, peanuts.. no melting.

pringles.. insane cal/oz ratio

fig newton fruit crisps.. again good cal/oz and tasty

hostess fruit pies heavy but 1-2 at the beginning or at resupply no biggie.

I love the Jolly Rancher Fire Stix candies!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    I have enjoyed the heck out of a nice bag of really good carmel corn with either almonds or pecans, sugar and carbs and everything nice
    Now this is one that is a common store shelf item BUT, I hadn't thought of it! Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by judypudy View Post
    Nutella I have thought of, plus thinking of adding crunchy PB to it and dipping in pretzel sticks...yum!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by judypudy View Post
    Justins!! Now that one i had forgotten about....Thanks!

Images

Fruit cups (diced peaches, mandarin oranges, etc.), they're a little heavy but they go down great! Nutella spread on a tortilla and rolled up -- sometimes I also add peanut butter. Bridge mix candy (chocolate covered nuts and fruits)...

I've been known to carry a tub of chocolate cake icing on occasion. It's great to dip pretzel stick in.

I like dried fruits, apricots, pinapple, or a mixed bag. Next time I might try something I saw on here the other day, corn meal (palenta), grits or oatmeal with cocao mixed in. I will have to start experimenting, maybe make some no-bake cookies on the trail.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Somebody, on here I think, once mentioned S'mores Gorp, and it was awesome--M&Ms, Golden Grahams, and mini marshmallows. HOWEVER, it's only good for one day, I found this out the hard way.

If you mix it all together in the same bag, the moisture from the marshmallows leeches into the Golden Grahams making them 'stale' and not crunchy after about a day. My solution was to keep one ziploc bag full of the M&Ms and Golden Grahams, and then in another bag, shove as many mini-marshmallows as you can, squash it down to remove some of the air and make it compact, and then keep 'em separated. Not really handy while walking, but certainly a great dessert or a snack when you sit for a rest.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I've been known to carry a tub of chocolate cake icing on occasion. It's great to dip pretzel stick in.
    ya know when i did the PCT 1996, I was laughed at by other hikers for carrying a 1 lb can of frosting for my brownies. But within moments after i opened the first one north of Warner Springs, suddenly I had several spoons sticking in my face. i turned at looked at them saying, "Hey , I thought you guys didn't like the fact i had this."

"Well, you're the one carrying the extra weight, not us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Somebody, on here I think, once mentioned S'mores Gorp, and it was awesome--M&Ms, Golden Grahams, and mini marshmallows. HOWEVER, it's only good for one day, I found this out the hard way.

If you mix it all together in the same bag, the moisture from the marshmallows leeches into the Golden Grahams making them 'stale' and not crunchy after about a day. My solution was to keep one ziploc bag full of the M&Ms and Golden Grahams, and then in another bag, shove as many mini-marshmallows as you can, squash it down to remove some of the air and make it compact, and then keep 'em separated. Not really handy while walking, but certainly a great dessert or a snack when you sit for a rest.
    I learned the hard way, if you get a bag of gorp that has any chocolatey sweets mixed in it, don't empty your food box in the sunshine.

Images

A frozen carrot cake out of town. By the time you get to camp, it'll be unfrozen. Talk about good and the greedy hikers that want to share!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Default New ideas please for snacks and desserts

I made these a few weeks ago to see how well I would like them. Omg excellent! For cereal I used Honey Bunches of Oats, but it can be your choice. Same with the fruit selection. I rather enjoyed them. Experiment and find a combination of goodies that suites your taste.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    1-1/2 cups peanut butter (regular, creamy, chunky...whatever you like)

5 cups whole grain cereal flakes
    6 ounces mixed dried fruit bits

Preparation:
    In a saucepan, stir together brown sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stir until smooth. Next, stir in whole grain cereal flakes; then add the dried fruit bits to the mixture. Spread into greased 12" x 7-1/2" x 2" baking pan. Spread 1/3 cup fruit bits on top and press into mixture. Let cool. Cut into 24 bars and wrap each bar in saran wrap. If desired, refrigerate before the trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    A frozen carrot cake out of town. By the time you get to camp, it'll be unfrozen. Talk about good and the greedy hikers that want to share!
    I've been thinking that when I do the AT again, or any other long trail that for every other(or maybe all) town resupply stops, I will buy a package of brownies, or bakery cookies, or frosted cake. Sure it would be heavy to carry, but that will make it taste all that much better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++