WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Hiking Poles...Imperative or Superfluous?

Disclaimer: I have never used them for backpacking. I have used pole for Nordic skiing and snowshoes. Do others find them an absolute "must-have"? I can see the advantage for stream crossings, but a branch or shepherd's hook works for that too.

Are the commercial versions a trap for gear junkies?

They are a must-have for me. Others do just fine without em.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-03-2012 at 12:08.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

They are just another way those evil manufacturers squeeze extra money out of unsuspecting hikers.
    Avoid them.
    Franco
    (I use them just to annoy the crap out of other hikers)

Images

They help me. I can do without them but can do better with them.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Poles are a must have for me. I have read they reduce stress on the knees by 20%.
    They also come in handy for holding your tent up and flipping rattle snakes off the trail.
    Just a WAG but I think about 90% of the thru-hikers I saw last year were using them.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Some use them some don't. Some need them some don't. I used to make walking sticks out of sapling oak but now own a pair of ul poles so I can carry them on my pack when not in use. I need them for steep downhills, otherwise they are hanging from my pack.

Everything sold commercially is a trap to get your money. You just have to decide if you want the trap product or the money.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Sacchoromyces View Post
    Disclaimer: I have never used them for backpacking. I have used pole for Nordic skiing and snowshoes. Do others find them an absolute "must-have"? I can see the advantage for stream crossings, but a branch or shepherd's hook works for that too.

Are the commercial versions a trap for gear junkies?
    5 thru-hikes. no poles. yes a trap for gear junkies

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    They help me. I can do without them but can do better with them.
    I never used them. When I hooked up with the Mrs. she had a few pairs so I tried them. I'm sold, back in Feburary I forgot them home and I noticed the dif. They stay in the fish car now, and when I get the extra cash I'm getting a decent pair.

The actual data on hiking pole use to reduce load/weight bearing, fatigue, and muscle soreness has been mixed at best despite what pole manufacturers say.

Here's two examples:
    One study outlined in The Sport Journal found no significant difference on load/weight bearing forces between using no poles, standard poles, or anti-shock poles.
    http://www.thesportjournal.org/artic...trekking-poles

In another, researchers at Northumbria University found trekking-poles helped hikers maintain muscle function while significantly reducing soreness in the days following a hike.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0602121000.htm
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-03-2012 at 07:29.

Images

My z-poles are light and give me something to do with my hands on the trail - they are handy in all sorts of ways - a like them in front of my body on snaky grassy sections, stream crossings for stability and an occasional protector against slip and falls - - people have been hiking and trekking with poles of some sort for years be it a staff or a hiking stick so I don't think they are a trap for gear junkies but in the event they are, they trapped me.

Images

For me, mandatory. Knee and back issues, need two to pitch tent, 4 wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive. Helps a ton on the downs and a good bit on the ups. I do see however where having poles reduces the self reliance on balancing.

On my last weekend hike I used a trekking pole for the first time. I like having one as opposed to carry two poles. They did make a difference to me. Gives you an extra push on steep inclines, and they do help reduce impact on your knees on the downs. Im sold on them.

I absolutely love them. I have both bad ankles from a couple accidents (one foot was nearly amputated back in '98, had multiple surgeries, lots of hardware in there, etc) and I can tell that it reduces stress on them. I find the poles most useful on the steep downhills in rocky/rooty terrain. I can't really tell they help all that much in the uphill climbs, and on level ground (does that even exist?) they are a bit of a nuisance to me, but I just put them away for that. I use the Black Diamond Distance poles, and they fold up nicely and only weigh 12 oz. so they're hardly noticeable when in my pack.

Also, I really like them in situations when the trail is overgrown. They're really nice for moving briers, wet weeds, etc. out of the way quickly. In these cases, I usually just hold them out parallel to my body and fly through those areas.

And of course, I also like them for crossing streams and small creeks.
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Images

My wife and I bought some Walmart specials and after one hike decided hiking poles were useless crap! Later when we hiked the approach trail as a shakedown for my thru-hike we discovered the downhills killed our knees! So...I bought a pair of Leki carbon fiber poles and found that they helped me slow my pace on the downhills! We'll never hike without them!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

An appropriate length of dead wood 'll do. Found when needed

There is a technique to proper use. Study that, then borrow a pair and try them. To each their own. My wife did 8 mile hike with me last weekend. I had her take a hydration day pack and my old poles. She was skeptical. At the 4 mile mark, she said how she LOVED them all. The poles helped on the up hills and the ready water was great. AND, I pointed out to her that she was only doing the poles at half speed (one pole move for two steps of each foot). she said she knew that but she wanted to do it that way as she was getting sore arms. She also marveled at how her hands were not swelling in the heat, due to the hands being "up" and involved in the walk.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Default Imperative, at least for me

They hold up my tent. I also use them to brush aside the grass & weeds that have encroached
    on the trail. If I can keep some of the grass from dragging across my feet and lower legs, the better my chances of not having even more tiny hitchhikers walking around on me. I can use them as a weapon, granted a rather weak one but I sill think there better than nothing. They have saved my a$$ countless times from slips and falls.

On a resent section, I promised a shuttle driver that I would meet them at Wayah Gap in an hour and half. I was standing in Siler Bald shelter, it was raining buckets. Now, my average mileage that trip was averaging 1.8mph. It would have also been nice if I had known that the trail back to the AT
    was straight up for a half mile! The point is, without the poles I don't think I could have powered up that half mile. I won't even go into how much fun it was nearly jogging down the mountain in the poring rain. Again, without the poles I would not have made it in time.

Besides, where else would I carry my Duck Tape

Journal Entries
    Images

Many years I did not use them, now I see the brilliance of not using tent poles but hiking poles for hammocks and tarps... and now my knee suffers some, so yes - multi use and task, makes a good fishing Spear too.
    Here is a poncho, and poles

Pictured high - this would be set up much lower to the ground
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I notice a big difference especially going up steeps with regard to leg muscle effort. Also it helps relieve stress on my knees and provides balance when stepping down steep rocky sections. It's like having four legs instead of two. They've also saved me from more than one face plant. It just seems like common sense to use them. It's a no brainer for me.

Why don't you borrow a set and see for yourself?

Cat in the Hat

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea I hate "Face Plant" and "Rolling Thunder"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++