WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    I didn't say ANYTHING regarding the effectiveness of UV water treatments ('science behind').
    Then you need to edit your own post.

And as Rain Man has tried to point out, the organisms are only sterilized and possibly temporarily at that (given enough exposure to sunlight, they change back!) The Steripen is simply NOT ready for prime time. Maybe that will change in a year? We'll see.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

With the available USER data on the Steripen, recommending it to anyone is actually absurd.
    Tons of folks love and successfully use their Steripen. I am one of those.

And if it broke tomorrow, I would NOT "be left hanging". I have a backup, as anyone should have no matter what their primary strategy is.

Yes, you love your toy, and since you bought it with your money and use it think it's the best thing ever - got it.

For those actually considering a viable water treatment method should steer clear of a Steripen (as least until they can make one that REALLY works for ALL customers ALL the time).

Here's another direct quote from another forum on the Steripen:

I considered getting a SteriPEN myself but after reading several reviews saying that they can be problematic such as: breaking during a hike, running out of batteries, making sure your water is clean enough of silt, the water temp is high enough and so forth i decided to keep it old school.

For those actually considering a viable water treatment method should steer clear of a Steripen (as least until they can make one that REALLY works for ALL customers ALL the time).
    ROFLMAO

I guess you don't buy or recommend ANYTHING.

I just realized that you are the SAME misguided individual that was tell folks that expired doxycycline was perfectly safe.

Goodbye. I will not respond to you again in this thread.

You're really a door knob here. You pop into threads covering a vast array of topics and act like you know something.
    By simple stats, you are doing this many times a day for years.

You bought and used the Steripen and you think it's wonderful, really, got it.

The reviews on ALL the Steripen models I have seen overall are NOT good. You bought into the advertising, so you wish others to follow.

Questions: The Steripen is a water purifier. What other method of water purification still being sold today has a worse record for user satisfaction? What other method specifically designed for portability do customers state with passion: "this is not for back country use?"

Images

I've only begun looked into the Sawyer Squeeze – it’s claims seem vastly too grandiose to be viable though at first glance.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Filters that act fast, filter vast quantities, or chemicals that act in 5 or 15 minutes,-- when all the other manufacturers promise far, far less to do a good, thorough job,-- there's got to be a catch.

BTW, my Steripen Classic has performed admirably. Any quirks or glitches have been user error or learning curve, which all things have.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    ... Compare it to boiling, which is probably the safest water treatment. The organisms in the boiled water are still there, just deactivated. ...
    To correct myself, boiling water kills most organisms; it doesn't just deactivate them.

Never had a problem with my Steripen Adventurer.....It may break the next day on the trail, but in 3 years, I have only had to replace batteries. If it did break, I still have a couple of options in my pack to handle the situation.
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    Never had a problem with my Steripen Adventurer.....It may break the next day on the trail, but in 3 years, I have only had to replace batteries. If it did break, I still have a couple of options in my pack to handle the situation.
    You ever post a review? I know I haven't. Most satisfied customers do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Filters that act fast, filter vast quantities, or chemicals that act in 5 or 15 minutes,-- when all the other manufacturers promise far, far less to do a good, thorough job,-- there's got to be a catch.

BTW, my Steripen Classic has performed admirably. Any quirks or glitches have been user error or learning curve, which all things have.

Rain Man

I really haven't had the opportunity to look into the Sawyer Squeeze yet, so I don't know much. But yeah, with a rough overview I am curious if it can live up to it's claims.

And to those who have a Steripen that actually works when you need it to, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You ever post a review? I know I haven't. Most satisfied customers do not.
    LOL, not until just now.
    TJ

Images

I have said it before but I'll say it again, my steripen adventure works fine. I have had people borrow it and tell me it doesn't work. I try it and it works fine.

Is the problem with the steripen or with the users? I don't know but mine works fine for me.

If you don't like it or trust it, don't use it. Easy fix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think i'll have to keep an eye on threads like this, just about the steripen. I have the classic and so far so good, with only about 10-20 uses so far. My thoughts were to use this unit and if all goes well before my 2014 thru get a more compact steripen to save on size and weight. So far I have read more cons than good about this product so far, hopefully this company can get it together and produce a more reliable product before sites like this effectively take them down. Electronics like this, that are relatively new to the market, take their fair share of problems and glitches that need to be worked out.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The All Clear has a battery that needs to be recharged by a USB cord. Guess you would need to carry one of those recharging battery packs with AA batteries.

I used lithium batteries in my Steripen, got a month or more of daily use out of a set.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Steri pens eat batteries.. I sent mine home as soon as I got out of the 100 mile wilderness. Aqua Mira works just fine.
    "Teufel Hunden"

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    Steri pens eat batteries.. I sent mine home as soon as I got out of the 100 mile wilderness. Aqua Mira works just fine.
    What type of battery were you using?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    Steri pens eat batteries....
    So do digital cameras if you use the wrong (cheap!) kind. Better leave your camera home too, then.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

So do digital cameras if you use the wrong (cheap!) kind. Better leave your camera home too, then.

Rain Man

Great idea! Instead of the camera then, I'm going to carry a full array of water colors and beg people to bring me fresh canvasses along the way.

Images

Rain Man

That's why I use a camera with AA batteries. I can get over 1000 shots with rechargeable AA's. I should be able to get more on non-rechargeable lithium AA's. I'm hoping to pick up the upcoming Pentax DSLR that also uses AA's later this year or early next year.

The funny thing here is that nobody has talked about the General Ecology First Need Filter that filters, removes chemical/pesticides, and removes viruses.......its a true purifier not just a filter system. The drawback is that like a filter is heavier than chemical purification systems, but the water is fit to drink right away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++