WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: compass?

Default compass?

I'm going to a map and compass class next week. How many of you carry a compass, and do I have to spend a bit of money for one. For a thru hike, weight is of course an issue.

If I have a map, I have a compass. The cheapest ones point north, which is good enough for me. Like this:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/starter.html

Images

I am partial to Brunton. As a scout leader, I am frequently using maps and compasses with scouts outside of backpacking experiences.

My favorite orienteering compass is the Brunton 8096-AR. It weighs 1.7 oz, but the base plate is a little big, and I do not always like it for backpacking.

Brunton 8096-AR
    AR.jpg

My other compass is the Brunton 7DNL a very basic, no frills unit. It has a smaller base plate, and fits nicely in my pack's hip-belt pocket. It weighs only 0.9 oz.

Brunton 7DNL
    pTSA-9890649reg.jpg
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 06-08-2012 at 12:45.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I have several compasses,a little cheap key chain type with temp,compass,and windchill chart on the back,lenstatic,and a very expensive geologic compass that measures strike and dip of anticlines,and synclines and is primarily used for structural mapping of geologic features(this I do for fun).By far the old army lenstatic compass that my father gave me is by far my favorite.Do you need a compass,and should you take a class.That's up to you,however I am bias,many here will hike with out one,and yes you could do that,the trail I'm told is well marked.Taking a class will give you greater understanding of some of the techniques used for obtaining a proper bearing,again I'm bias,but it certainly couldn't hurt to get some instruction,I have,and it's fun.cheers and happy navigating.

when it comes to buying a compass,you pretty much get what you pay for,more features,better construction,finer degree of bearing,but they all work.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-08-2012 at 13:20. Reason: speelin

Images

Base priced Silva for me. More compass than I probably need, even at, what, $7 or so? Good for you for learning how to use a map and compass! Might save your life, or just open some doors for exploration. It's all good.

Images

I don't carry one when I hike here in Ct. If i'm in new territory for me, I carry one. I've missed a turn here and there, poorly marked relocation. It does'nt weigh that much, but it helps a ton when you need it..............................Suunto!

Images

The only place on the AT I ever felt like I needed a compass was in the Whites (Mizpah Hut to the other side of Madison Hut). If you get fogged in on that ridgeline, it can be nasty trying to find you way! Otherwise, just follow the white blazes and you can't really get lost.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Less than an ounce, great! Thanks

Thanks to all for your replies.

Journal Entries
    Images

I carry one whenever I hike a new area. They are not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by acme View Post
    I'm going to a map and compass class next week. How many of you carry a compass, and do I have to spend a bit of money for one. For a thru hike, weight is of course an issue.
    Bone up before your class by watching this 7 part basic compass/map navigation tutorial given by the Green Mountain Club on their YouTube channel. It's really all you need to know......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p584IPVf0-w

BTW, you don't really need a compass on an AT thru-hike, a guidebook will do. However, I've come to enjoy playing around with a map and compass on hikes as more of a curiosity.
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-08-2012 at 14:28.

I always carry a compass and map, but I'm not partial to any brand compass, nor even a pricey compass. One thing you must be careful of is when you unintentionally walk off the AT and get lost, a compass and map may not help if you're clueless of where you were when you walked off and in what direction the AT was headed; just because you're headed in a NOBO (or SOBO) direction doesn't mean you're actually walking in that direction, the AT goes in all directions at various points.

I mostly use my map and compass for bushwhacking, which I like to do, but I have used it when I've wondered off the trail, but that always requires a little guessing, unless you got a good landmark.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Silva here......

I have been glad I had a compass a few times on the AT - not because I didn't know where I was but because I had a nagging feeling I was hiking in the wrong direction (like wondering if you forgot to turn the stove off...) - a quick check of the compass solved the problem.

Images

theyre so light theres really no reason not to carry a compass, but not really necessary on the AT. bring it for the whites, just in case.
    you an also magnetize a needle put it on a leaf floating in a water cup to get n/s buts its prettty crude and doesnt allow for declination

There are several places on the trail where the trail leeds you in the near oppisite direction ex. Hawk Mountain PA between the pinnicle and Eckville shelter,for about a half mile you are heading West north west,instead of the East north east,you'd been traveling if headed NOBO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    theyre so light theres really no reason not to carry a compass, but not really necessary on the AT. bring it for the whites, just in case.
    you an also magnetize a needle put it on a leaf floating in a water cup to get n/s buts its prettty crude and doesnt allow for declination
    As I said, I bring one..... but I have a piece of lodestone in my forehead!

I also thought that someday I might wonder a hundred yards off the rail to find a nice remote camping site. I would hate to have a "senior moment" the next morning and have no clue which way to go to get back to the trail. Having a compass would be reassuring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I also thought that someday I might wonder a hundred yards off the rail to find a nice remote camping site. I would hate to have a "senior moment" the next morning and have no clue which way to go to get back to the trail. Having a compass would be reassuring.
    i heard a commercial on the radio on the way into work this morning about a pill that helps prevent memory loss, but for the life of me, i cant remeber what its called!
    bring the compass

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    As I said, I bring one..... but I have a piece of lodestone in my forehead!
    And I thought I was the only one with rocks on the brain.I too have a piece of lodestone,but carry it in my pocket until the doctors told me not to,bad for the,well you no.I told him I was trying to have a kid with a strong moral compass.It worked.

but yes HB57 is right,stroke a needle an float it on a lief in a puddle and you've got got yourself a compass.but don't keep it in your pocket,Ouch!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 06-08-2012 at 16:41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++