WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cloudland to 19E on the first trip...Are we crazy?

I've been lurking in the bushes for a while and finally decided to ask...are we crazy for doing this? Buddy and I want to do the stretch from Cloudland north to US19 over 3 days next month. For 2 guys in their mid 30's that are slightly overweight and just getting back into this, is this even doable? I really don't want to get there and find out we're in over our heads. Gear wise, we're all set...just gotta put boots on the ground but do you think we've got the physical capability to do it? Thoughts?

Not really sure what physical shape you are in, but i am 31 and did that section in one day. A long day, but i did it. I think if you took three days there would be no problem at all getting in done. If you are worried about it start at Carver's Gap to cut off a few miles. Up little Hump and Big Hump are really your only big climbs and they are not to bad.

AT 2012

you may be slightly overweight but you sure are smart! that seems like a great plan -- really pretty section to hike, and you are starting, if I understand your plan, at the Roan High Bluff parking area, which gives you great altitude. At a total of around sixteen miles, the daily mileage should be fine since you can really take your time and take breaks. do you plan to stay at overmountain shelter and applehouse shelter? or to divide your days more equally and find campsites? Overmountain is a real treat... good luck to you and enjoy your hike!
    Lazarus

Cool, thanks. It's not the distance so much as the incline.

Also, what is the usual water situation through there? Being on the ridge and up on the balds, will we have a long walk down side trails to get to a spring or are there places nearby we can top off as we go? I'm not seeing a whole lot of squigly blue lines on my map.

Laz...we had not talked about campsites yet. I'm tenting and he's hanging a hammock so we'll probably stay away form the shelters and just find a decent place each night. We did want to enjoy the mileage and not be pushed for distance so that's why we're planning on 3 days.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You'll be done in less than 3 days... Even if you only hike 0.75 mph you'll only have 21 hiking hours in the entire hike so you'll either be doing a lot of sleeping or sitting if you're going to make it last 3 days.

At first I couldn't figure out where you were starting. Now I get it. That is a very short distance for 3 days, not that there is anything wrong with that. I would think that anyone healthy enough to hike the first mile should do just fine. The hiking shouldn't be an issue.

This will be more of a camping trip than a hiking trip, again, not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a GREAT section to hike a bit and chill out. Have fun.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

You should have no problem with this. By the way, Apple House shelter has been torn down, so don't plan on staying there. mountain Harbor is about 300 yards down 19E from the trail intersection.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pkj1c3

If you have to leave a car at 19E, Mountain Harbour Hostel is the place to leave it. Do NOT leave it at the trail head.

Also, Bob's Dairyland is great place for the end-of-trip meal. It is just a coupla miles past Mountain Harbour on the right.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If you have to leave a car at 19E, Mountain Harbour Hostel is the place to leave it. Do NOT leave it at the trail head.

Also, Bob's Dairyland is great place for the end-of-trip meal. It is just a coupla miles past Mountain Harbour on the right.
    Have you ever stayed at Mountain Harbor?

My wife and I are going to park there to spend the night, get a shuttle over to Carver's Gap and hike back. Not sure what the dinner provisions are for MH but if they don't serve it sounds like Bob's would do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Have you ever stayed at Mountain Harbor?

My wife and I are going to park there to spend the night, get a shuttle over to Carver's Gap and hike back. Not sure what the dinner provisions are for MH but if they don't serve it sounds like Bob's would do nicely.
    Yeah I have stayed there. The breakfasts are to die for. I wasn't there for supper.

Journal Entries

A poster on BPL related a story recently where he took his out of shape buddy over the roan highlands and his buddy had a rough time of it.

It 50% depends on your shape, 50% depends on your pack weight, and 50% depends on your mental attitude.

From Cloudland to Carvers gap is all downhill, pretty easy. Carvers gap to 19E is mostly pretty easy too. Theres some mild climbs . I think little hump is 800ft, and hump another 600ft, but they are gradual and have views to distract you.
    der
    If you are in halfway decent shape, with a pack say under 30 lbs, you should have no problem doing it in 2 days. If you plan to stay at Overmountain, you dont even need a tent, Overmountain will sleep around 20-30, easily, virtually no chance of needing to tent there.

Hey, thanks guys...appreciate the feedback.
    This will be more of a camping trip than a hiking trip, again, not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a GREAT section to hike a bit and chill out. Have fun.
    ^ This. We might only walk for 3 hours a day and spend the rest of the time admiring the view and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Overmountain shelter is pretty close to the middle of your trip. It would be nice to stay there one night. In fact I would almost consider Overmountain a MUST. If that is the case you have to decide if it is your first or second night.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScouterDave View Post
    Hey, thanks guys...appreciate the feedback.
    ^ This. We might only walk for 3 hours a day and spend the rest of the time admiring the view and enjoying the peace and quiet.
    Well, I would plan on walking a little more than that. There is not much else to do...other than walk ....when you are out there. Views are great, but it only takes 10 min to take it all in and snap some pics, then might as well move along to see the next view. Throw in snack breaks and lunch, and before you know it the day has gone by.

You will be in the woods from Jane Bald to Overmountain Shelter (guessing about 5 miles), and from Hump mountain to 19E (~5miles), so nothing much to see for about half of your trip.

AT 2012

...should also mention that overmountain shelter is a hammock hangers paradise -- if you do decide to make the "social" shelter scene. that big old barn was made for hanging hammocks. you might bring a little extra webbing just in case, but probably won't need anything more than you would normally carry.
    Lazarus

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Even if you are overweight, you should be able to do it in just an overnight hike. I did Carvers Gap to 19E in an overnight. I was going a slow pace of 1-2 mph. If you are carry a heavy load then it may be harder trying to take some of the big steps, or the big climbs up from Yellow Mtn Gap and Hump Mtn. But a lot of the steep and eroded sections have been replaced with switchbacks.

If you want to just take your time, on your first day walk over the balds and up to Grassy Ridge. Then come back down and stay at the barn.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the response. To clarify my original post, we've only got 2 hiking days to the trip. Pickup will be in the morning on the 3rd day. Right now I'll plan for us to stay near Overmountain the first night and somewhere near where Apple House was the 2nd night. This will put us at about 8-9 miles each day.

Without getting too far off topic, does anyone think 3 liters is too much water to carry through this area? I've got 2L in my bladder and a 1L bottle but didn't really want to carry more than that. The source at Overmountain and Apple House should still be running in mid July right?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Recheck water issue when you get closer to your hike date.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I went through there in mid summer and those springs were strong. I think you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++