WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    "youre making a big assumption.you dont know me.simply stated the drug issue is much bigger here than on the trail.
    Dont be so quick to throw stones.you may hit yourself in the a**.
    Agreed. I apologize. Just a sensitive subject for me. Had a few really good friends die early because of drug use.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    Agreed. I apologize. Just a sensitive subject for me. Had a few really good friends die early because of drug use.
    It's a shame. I lost my Dad, my Sister, and I'm losing my Brother, and I too have lost more friends than I care to count. It's hard to watch. HB57 is a good guy and I'm sure he too will make amends with you. You show good character in your apology and you have my respect.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by DogPaw View Post
    I have that bad feeling where I represent none of these things. Alas, tis' the fate of the newly initiated.
    there it is right there,a rethink isnt it a great thing .i too would like to say that i never really took the time to really understand the frustrations of the non smoking persons as well as i should of.i understand better now a female expression of safety issues,job related concerns,child issues which not even my kids have seen me smoke.maybe there is hope for us all if we could comunicate better and be more respectful of each others differences.when we speak we speak out of frustration from the feeling of desperation of the loss of our freedom.the trail is there for all to enjoy,i think ill concentrate on nature and not human nature.i toast your rights and mine.h y o h but not at the cost of others right to do so on their own level.

Hairbear, I like it

Hearbear says "I think I'll concentrate on Nature, and not human nature" Wow, what a powerful statement, and a heck of a way to start my day, very nicely said there Hairbear.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-26-2012 at 05:37.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Hairbear, I like it

Hearbear says "I think I'll concentrate on Nature, and not human nature" Wow, what a powerful statement, and a heck of a way to start my day, very nicely said there Hairbear.
    thanks bud have a good day,and dont drop a pipe on your toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    thanks bud have a good day,and dont drop a pipe on your toe.
    Been there, done that.....Ouch!

I beg your pardon, but I've quite a bit more life experience than my age would suggest, or at the very least more knowledge than many of my peers. If you read any of my previous posts in the matter, you'll see that I mainly suggested a 'live and let live' attitude, but consider the needs of the many to presently outweigh the needs of the few when it comes to shelters. I generally do look for the good and bad in people, the problem is more often than not, when you gaze into the soul of another, you often don't like what you see.

Images

I thought the same thing when i was 16
    You are clueless
    You have no life experience.none.zilch.big0.

Images

I made some pretty bold statements on this topic the other day. I just want to say that I don't do drugs, I think I smoked weed once or twice my entire life and that was with some guys in college. I am not a fan of it.

I do drink sometimes but nothing outside the norm in my own opinion. I have never been a crazy drunk however I have seen a few of them from time to time.

My thing is I feel the AT is a symbol to escaping the laws society has placed on everyone, not only the real laws but the laws we place on ourselves with driving to work every day, getting into debt with a mortgage, car etc...

For me the escape of all of that is the AT and as a result there shouldnt be "rules" placed on a place that represents breaking away from those rules.

... when you gaze into the soul of another, you often don't like what you see.
    It’s a complicated question trying to understand what makes people different. Surely, things like life experience factors in, but people react very differently to similar experiences, even babies with very little life experiences, so that makes one look inside for whatever causes differences in people. Many factors come into play, I’ve often wondered if even something as crazy as one’s own electrical impedance in their inner circuitry can cause, or at least factor in, these differences between people?

Then you got the soul. Isn’t a soul just a ball of energy? How are there differences between souls?

I beg your pardon, but I've quite a bit more life experience than my age would suggest, or at the very least more knowledge than many of my peers. If you read any of my previous posts in the matter, you'll see that I mainly suggested a 'live and let live' attitude, but consider the needs of the many to presently outweigh the needs of the few when it comes to shelters. I generally do look for the good and bad in people, the problem is more often than not, when you gaze into the soul of another, you often don't like what you see.
    Goodness, where to begin....

Yes, you may be more mature than most of the other 16 year olds in your high school but your comment about taking a vote and kicking someone out of a shelter shows a serious lack of life experience. It just doesn't work that way in the real world.

First off, I am pretty sure it isn't the smoking and drinking that the OP dislikes, it is the behavior and atitutde that comes out as a result. So you have some someone drunk and being an loud jerk, or worse, a mean aggressive A$$. He is not going to accept the community vote and it will just be fodder for his continued antics. And if you do use force to remove him I wouldn't stcik around cause he is going to be pissed and when he sobers up it couyld get ugly and really serious quickly.

The whole gazing into a soul thing, you often don't like what you see....

Yes, there are some people who are evil, no doubt. But most people aren't. Most people are doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt. The older I get the more I try to avoid judging others.

Images

the world is by and large an overwhelmingly good place, and people are, by and large mostly good. what youll find as you grow and learn, is that you get the results you expect in life. expect the best and believe it or not, you'll rarely be disappointed.when you "gaze into the soul"(which i personally interpret as prejudgement), look for the good. its there. somewhere. in everyone.remember your source. its universal.

Images

i do understand.we're cool.

Images

From just about every comment, journal and post I have read about the AT it seems that during the course of a thruhike you will meet some people who p### you off and a larger group who you get on with. Like minded people will gravitate together. Expect some nights you will wish you hiked on or tented and a larger number where you are with friends. I am hoping to be "lucky" (read tenting) for the first few weeks until I settle in with my fellow residents of my mobile town, i.e. the class of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I thought the same thing when i was 16
    You are clueless
    You have no life experience.none.zilch.big0.
    And I suppose age alone makes you better qualified then I am? You are arrogant beyond belief. Does my age negate everything I know, everything I've experienced? You're incredibly stupid, aren't you? Waving about your age like it means something, thinking you know better than me purely because of it? Never mind that from childhood on, I buried myself in every possible subject and political situation I could find and learned from it, that I've been to far more places and met far more people, while most people have never so much as left their towns or talked at length to a neighbor. Your arrogance is appalling, and I invite you to help yourself to the kitchen and drink a nice hot cup of shut the **** up.

Images

I always look for the good in people, once in a while the not-so-good shows.....I have learned to let it be, and usually the good shows up again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    From just about every comment, journal and post I have read about the AT it seems that during the course of a thruhike you will meet some people who p### you off and a larger group who you get on with. Like minded people will gravitate together. Expect some nights you will wish you hiked on or tented and a larger number where you are with friends. I am hoping to be "lucky" (read tenting) for the first few weeks until I settle in with my fellow residents of my mobile town, i.e. the class of 2013.
    It probably goes without saying, but make sure you PM us in the cafe so we can all hook-up as you move along

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I always look for the good in people, once in a while the not-so-good shows.....I have learned to let it be, and usually the good shows up again.
    Amen! +1.....
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    It probably goes without saying, but make sure you PM us in the cafe so we can all hook-up as you move along
    Yeah goes without saying...but thanks.
    I (and my son Daniel) will be TrailJournalling so family in Oz can follow us.
    Will start a journal around 6 weeks before departure. Probably doing 2 or 3 weeks in Europe on way (more family and ROAD TRIP Rome to Amsterdam).
    Given subject of this thread I probably am looking a bit odd with my comments given I will probably arrive in Georgia with last stop Amsterdam...

Images

And I suppose age alone makes you better qualified then I am? You are arrogant beyond belief. Does my age negate everything I know, everything I've experienced? You're incredibly stupid, aren't you? Waving about your age like it means something, thinking you know better than me purely because of it? Never mind that from childhood on, I buried myself in every possible subject and political situation I could find and learned from it, that I've been to far more places and met far more people, while most people have never so much as left their towns or talked at length to a neighbor. Your arrogance is appalling, and I invite you to help yourself to the kitchen and drink a nice hot cup of shut the **** up.
    youve got a lot of learning to do. you wont find it in books.you know nothing. its not arrogance. just a fact.grow up.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++