WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

so sad to hear that Gull Pond Lodge in Rangely closed. It was a great place to stay. Also.. cloud 9 in Hiawasse, GE.. one of best places for the price (I think it was 20 bucks in 2006.

I'm sure the lousy attitude on part of many AT (thru) hikers is a big problem in many cases.

I remember staying at Hikers Paradise in Gorham, NH. I was in a nice clean hotel room. There where many other rooms where hikers were smoking and drinking like there's no tomorrow. Bet that stinked up the place to high heaven. Thing is.. while most thru hikers are fine folks there is a portion of them that are total jerks, less considerate than college students and that's saying something!

david

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    During my thru-hikes, I stayed in a hostel every couple of weeks but now hikers can almost stay inside every day. The more someone stays outside helps them develope their wilderness skills. They become more intune with nature. You can see the different between past and present hikers.

Wolf
    Yes indeed there are more options for staying overnite in town. But, that has benefitted a segment of hikers who may not have successfully completed their hike otherwise. Town stays can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yes indeed there are more options for staying overnite in town. But, that has benefitted a segment of hikers who may not have successfully completed their hike otherwise. Town stays can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind.
    Jeff, I agree with you that the hostels have help some hikers to successfully complete their hikes who might other wise not made it but should everyone made it? I'm not against anyone completing their hike but what I am for is if someone is going to call themselves a backpacker well they actually spend some time in the wilderness. Over the past couple of years it seems to me more and more hikers are getting themselves in trouble over not so difficult problems. Example how many hikers these days have difficult building a simple camp fire or head into town when it is raining.

Coming into town as you said can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind but sometimes that is what is needed. Spending time in nature also helps hikers become more intune with nature something few hikers are. I don't know the numbers but I would guest the number of town days hikers have taken has seriously increase over the years. If you talk with the old time hikers and the current hikers, I bet you can see a big different in the level of knowledge of spending time in the wilderness.

Wolf

Images

Wolf-- I agree that many of todays hikers stop to resupply every chance they get. Seems like so many go into town every 50 miles or so. When you are in town, a night in a hostel looks pretty good. Part of that is the ultralite craze...no one wants to carry a heavy pack anymore. That also makes for a more expensive hike. You only spend money in town!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I think that anyone who hikes 2,184 miles can call themselves a backpacker no matter if they stay in a lot of hostels or not. Now maybe they aren't that great at camping, but if they are hiking with a backpack - they have my vote.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The old timers will tell you that the old AT went through more towns than it does today.

When I didn't know better I carried a heavy pack, then I learned how to enjoy hiking.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

When I didn't know better I carried a heavy pack, then I learned how to enjoy hiking.
    Yep . Hike smarter,not harder.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Yep . Hike smarter,not harder.
    Agreed.

And there is no relationship between ultra light and hostel use. The only correlation there is made in the mind of a guy who stubbornly carries 50 lbs + of gear while claiming anything less leads to death in the wilds...

And as far as hostels closing, well, they didn't build those hostels anyways, am I right?

Luckily we own our water supply-to answer the water bill question.Interesting thoughts folks. You know the term "hike your own hike" well hostel your own hostel!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I'm very serious, NOW!
    How would you even attempt to change these people creating the problems? I fear we are witnessing a massive culture change and it's not just with hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    I think that anyone who hikes 2,184 miles can call themselves a backpacker no matter if they stay in a lot of hostels or not. Now maybe they aren't that great at camping, but if they are hiking with a backpack - they have my vote.
    Kryptonite,

I am going to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with someone staying in a hostel here and there or if they want everyday or their hike but they are going to stay in town every night why not just stay home? A backpacker has everything he/she needs to survive for multiply nights in the wilderness and becomes more intune with nature, someone heading into town every couple of days can't do that.

Wolf

Sad to read about the Pearisburg hostel closing. Any other church sponsored hostels on the verge of closing??

I worry about the one in Delaware Water Gap. When Pastor Karen retired you never know if the rest of the church leaders really are in favor of service to hikers.

Bump.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    most are closed due to alcohol/drug consumption, lack of respect and not donating $$

shots fired
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would be in favor of a "thru-hikers' triple-A" club to which you contribute a reasonable fee ($25 -$50?), agree to terms of behavior and expectations, and become registered ahead of time, get a card and a number, and hostels along the route who belong to this organization in turn agree to provide a minimum set of services for a set fee (which could rise with number of consecutive days spent at one stay to discourage "hostel partiers" to card holders. Those who don't present the card could be expected to pay a higher fee and/or pay a deposit to guard against these kind of abuses. I know this sounds like more big brother crap, but I personally do not want to be branded as a problem because some kids tripping thru give us all a bad name, and I would gladly carry the card if that would make me less of a threat to the good hearted people who provide us with these welcome services (especially the showers and washing machines) at a price we working stiffs can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    Sad to read about the Pearisburg hostel closing.
    Read about it where?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Rainbow Springs Campground is not closed they changed owners and names. and i stayed at the Graymoor Monestary, and they still let people in but its costly because i stayed their this year. How about Kincora i stayed their but i wish it would close.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Rainbow Springs Campground is not closed they changed owners and names.
    RSC closed around 2005.

The R.S.C is not closed they changed owners and names.

[quote:/] so sad to hear that Gull Pond Lodge in Rangely closed. It was a great place to stay. Also.. cloud 9 in Hiawasse, GE.. one of best places for the price (I think it was 20 bucks in 2006.) I'm sure the lousy attitude on part of many AT (thru) hikers is a big problem in many cases.[quote:/]

Gull pond closed because he was getting too old to run the place anymore. Cloud 9 closed because they had financial problems - lack of year round tourists and a way too expensive morgage to keep the place viable.

The bottom line is there are still more hostel options available now then ever before.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++