WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default A.T. hostels that are now closed. Why?

Over the years a few of the hostels I have stayed at on my hikes have closed, whether due to changing times or changing hiker attitudes, it seems like a lot of good places are gone.

A few that come to mind:

Rainbow Springs campground
    Graymoor Monastery (actually staying in the rooms)
    Manchester Center church hostel
    Dartmouth - Stayed at the Foley House a few times. Seems like student housing options are now off-limits to hikers

What other hostels do you remember staying at that are now history?

most are closed due to alcohol/drug consumption, lack of respect and not donating $$

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    What other hostels do you remember staying at that are now history?
    The church hostel on the hill above Hot Springs (closed due to partying I believe)
    Waynesboro PA fire house (don't know why they stopped)
    Rustys (apparently he sold the place???)

I believe Rainbow Spring Campground is not available because it was sold and is not even a campground anymore
    Graymoor, I think all the monks got too old and no new blood there. (although partying also had something to do with the decision)
    Manchester ( I thought it was because of some hikers having sex in the church???)

One thing is constant: Change! (who said that first?) (some Greek philosopher I believe)

There are a few I believe who are thinking about closing.
    Seems to me that the ones who do it for free get abused and stop the charity. The ones who do it for money, are trying to stay open but fighting a losing battle as there are perhaps too many losers out there who don't pay.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The story I heard is that Greymoor monastery scaled back it's services to hikers because they had limited resources and made a decision to help the genuinely needy first. If that is really what happened, then i think they made the right choice.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The story I heard is that Greymoor monastery scaled back it's services to hikers because they had limited resources and made a decision to help the genuinely needy first. If that is really what happened, then i think they made the right choice.
    actually the numbers of hikers on a daily basis overwhelmed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I believe that Greymoor monastery is available (if there is room) for $75 per day - which includes 3 meals. I am definitely going to try and stay there for a day or two and maybe volunteer a little while I am there.

Regardless of whether it was sold or not, Rainblow KaChings managed to annoy many hikers. They refused to accept mail drops though they were listed as accepting them. I had a friend send brownies to me there and he did not call ahead. They were returned to him a month later- I was not told about the package which was there when I was there.
    In addition, they spread rumours about how bad the drifts were. While technically true, (" There's drifts there still over 7 feet"), there was a clear path around everything with no more than an inch or two of snow on it. But it was a ploy to get hikers to stay at the campground longer and spend more money. Instead, it ended up with hikers telling everyone to avoid the campground.
    I remember wanting to take an off day there, as I hadn't one and needed one, but the attitude of the owner and the impending end of my partner's vacation made us decide to push on after a short stop.

So sometimes hikers misbehave, but in this case, I think the place got the reputation which gave them fewer hikers and may have started a downward spiral.

Default Just my 2c worth...

The attitude of a good many hikers I bothered to get to know was: 1. I'll never be coming back through here again, so what the heck. 2. I've spent way too much on beer, pizza and ayce's, so the hostels will have to be the ones to get stiffed. This includes 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room. 3. Some even thought they were some kind of great explorer and the general public should be grateful to them and give them food, drink and other stuff. Along with these attitudes come disrespect for the outdoors, the towns, and people along the way who try to be nice and treat hikers with basic decency.
    What they are doing is giving everyone coming up the trail behind them, even in years to come, a worst rap than they should be getting. This hurts the entire hiking community and should stop NOW.

I'm very serious, NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    The attitude of a good many hikers I bothered to get to know was: 1. I'll never be coming back through here again, so what the heck. 2. I've spent way too much on beer, pizza and ayce's, so the hostels will have to be the ones to get stiffed. This includes 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room. 3. Some even thought they were some kind of great explorer and the general public should be grateful to them and give them food, drink and other stuff. Along with these attitudes come disrespect for the outdoors, the towns, and people along the way who try to be nice and treat hikers with basic decency.
    What they are doing is giving everyone coming up the trail behind them, even in years to come, a worst rap than they should be getting. This hurts the entire hiking community and should stop NOW.
    I still think that a lot of this disrespect for the hostels is all wrapped up in an AT "mooching mentality." There are a lot of hikers on various forums who brag about how much they are able to beg, borrow, yogi, and stiff others. It's like a competition to them. They actually ridicule their peers who are saving up for the trail. And they use every occasion to bum smokes and beer and restaurant meals as well. I am all for helping someone truly in need. But when it becomes sport as to who can use who the most - I'm out.

Shea's Pine Tree Inn in MA Closed thanks to some hikers raiding the bar after closing hours...in addition to others that have already been mentioned.

Personally, I think hostels are bad for the trail. The AT has enough towns and motels already, hostels encourage slackers to stick around, make those tools pay for a motel room and they will either hike on or go home.

I think 'trail motels' should charge more, not less, for hikers. Hikers require more assistance, require laundry, hang wet wet gear all over the room and dirty it up, ask for favors, shuttles, etc...those travelling by car don't do any of that stuff.

I'm happy to pay more, I'm grateful for those places.

I've seen a lot of bad hiker behavior in towns, in hostels at trail angel's houses. Bless those folks who provide for hikers and see the better of people despite all that.

I've seen behavior that made me want to risk time at the local the cross-bar motel.

It's an increasing sense of entitlement and it is even more prevalent off-trail.

Images

As a conservative member of the hiker trash brigade, I blame drunken, stoned, free love nonsense for most of the local interaction problems on the trail. Obviously you have nut jobs and the random gear strewn across the entire trail from people unable to pack out their own garbage they thought they needed. When it comes to getting shuttles, hostels, motels, and other services closed or cut off though, it seems that the you owe me or I'm entitled to this crowd does more harm than all of the crazy Rambos with their k-bars.

Images

Indeed change is constant. I can think of a half dozen closures in the past few years but even more openings. There are certainly more hostels along the trail than ever.

Closings

Miss Janets House
    Cloud 9 in Hiawassee - Money
    Mayor's House in Unionville - Mayor remarried
    Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley - Bob O'Brien retired
    The Vortex in Bennington - Chris is having health problems
    The Bird Cage in Dalton - Rob has said this is his last season.

Openings

Bonepac's Free State in Maryland
    Chet's Place in Lincoln, NH
    Teahorse in Harper's Ferry
    White Mountain Lodge in Shelburne...Gorham now has 4 hostels.
    High Mtn Haven in southern PA
    Aquone Hostel - Wiggy's place near Burningtown Gap
    Laughing Heart - The old Jesuit hostel in Hot Springs
    4 Pines in Catawba - reopened after being closed for about 5 years.
    Bearded Woods - Just opened this month in Falls Village, CT
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    ... 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    most are closed due to alcohol/drug consumption, lack of respect and not donating $$
    Sassy beat me to it. Was gonna add "dogs" to Lone Wolf's fine list.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post

So sometimes hikers misbehave, but in this case, I think the place got the reputation which gave them fewer hikers and may have started a downward spiral.
    Rainbow Springs never had a "downward spiral". The Crossman's cashed out and sold the property to a developer who was going to put up McMansions. Jensine never kissed anyones azz which annoyed some hikers who thot they were "special" for hiking the trail. Great place and I was sorry to see it go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Running a hiker hostel takes a lot of work. Most hostels are not there to make money but to serve the hiking community. To keep places like this open hikers have to understand this and be more respectiable to our hostel providers.
    Grampie-N->2001

The Widows Walk B&B in Stratton ME closed to hikers when Mary and Jerry retired. Super nice people who opened up their beautiful house to hikers and others.

The Episcopal Church in Hanover NH closed due to hiker abuse.

Not a hostel, but you used to be able to tent behind the PO in Kent CT. Don't know why this ended.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I believe that Greymoor monastery is available (if there is room) for $75 per day - which includes 3 meals. I am definitely going to try and stay there for a day or two and maybe volunteer a little while I am there.
    I haven't heard that. If true, I'll stay there next year. I stayed there back in the day and the kindness of the Monks was unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Running a hiker hostel takes a lot of work. Most hostels are not there to make money but to serve the hiking community. To keep places like this open hikers have to understand this and be more respectiable to our hostel providers.
    I certainly agree with that statement. Last year we actually lost money, and this year seems to be the same. We do what we do because we care for the trail and the hiking community. Moreover we have a small place, we so not pack hikers in just to make money. There seems to be a lot of disrespect out there, Some have a great time others are never happy. All you here anymore is the negative stuff, never the good. This will be our last year. We will still allow hikers to come in and camp and resupply in town, and join us for meals, but that's it. Just tired of all the bashing....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++