WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Gotta say +1 on the friends made on the trail. That's been priceless. I'm sure several friends for life.
    +1 The people I met were amazing! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I once asked a thru hiker I met at a shelter in the SNP what was his favorite day so far. He said that every day was his favorite.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Camping on Hump Mountain with my Brother that I hadn't seen in 2 years and my son that had just returned from Iraq. We had a drink at sunset in rememberence on Dad and talked about old times.

I'd say that hiking up Blood Mountain in GA was my best experience...all of the hikers I was hiking with had been dreading this climb. They had an elevation map, and kept staring at it and commenting about how steep it was, how awful it would be. I had never backpacked before I started my hike on Springer in 2011...and so I was an extremely novice hiker, and ill-prepared for basically everything. I somewhat felt as though I would never catch up to those around me, that I'd never love hiking as much as they did.

So when we got to Blood Mountain...there were trail angels with food at the base. I ate some sausage breakfast sandwiches and still, everybody around me was dreading the climb right before us. I suppose I took advantage of the situation because for the first time, I was the only one with the really positive outlook, while those around me were in dread. I hiked stronger then I've ever hiked that day and got to the top before anybody. The whole time up that mountain, I kept thinking to myself how it just seems like something awesome will be waiting for me at the top. I basically ran up that mountain and when I got to the top, and stopped..I just stared out in awe at the 360 degree views around me...I felt strong for the first time. Some kids up there had a bag of jolly ranchers and gave me a few, and I also remember how delicious those were..

Blood mountain is by far my best, and most vivid memory. I can see the layout of the mountain, see my feet stepping strongly in front of me. Oh, I love that mountain...*dreamy eyes*

No doubt about it the Greyson Highlands.

Probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen was at the Delaware Water Gap,NJ.I was hiking with some fellas I had met there the day before,we had a little party,and were all a little fuzzy.Were hiking along and all of a sudden there was this whistle that filled the Woods,it got louder and louder,then someone asked "What the heck is that" I had heard this sound before,but was drawing a momentary auditory blank,then it hit me,quick,and I practically pulled a muscle in my neck as all in one motion I looked up,pointed,and said "there,right there" it was a sail plane(glider)about 50 feet above the trees,it was early spring,and the leaves weren't out yet,the plane was so close I could see the pilots sun glassed face as he looked right at us,again,one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    When the westerlies blow just right,Sail planes fly the ridge of the Kittatinnies in NJ and can cross into PA and follow the Blue mountains all the way down to about MD turn around and come back,this is called or classified as a cross country flight because of the distance involved,there is an airport near the AT in Blairstown NJ,thats where I took my first sail plane ride,and later logged about 6 hrs in a Schweizer 233 trainer.Next time you here this whistle while hiking,don't forget to keep looking up,very cool indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++