WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PJWetzel View Post
    Paul was a significant part of my AT hiking experience this year, and I shall never forget him.
    And that means more than any honorary certificate.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Parkside, I'll miss you dude.. Not many people have two challenges named after them(Parkside challenge and V.V.I.P.) it was a pleasure to hike with you, play frisbee and just hang out. So much to say that I wish I had said.. But I'm thankful for the time I did have. Praying for your family. -ICEMAN (GA-ME12)

I spent a day with Parkside in early March at Uncle Johnnys. We were both waiting for mail drops. He broke his spoon and I had an extra to give him. The next day he gave me a fresh NYC bagel, what a treat in Erwin TN. I had as much fun hanging with him as I have ever had on the AT. I told people that often prior to hearing about his death.
    He carried two books at the time and was an extremely interesting guy. I cannot get him out of my head and can still see him walking over that bridge knowing I would never be able to keep up with him and wishing I could. He remembered I told him about "my" shelter in Mass. and left me a message there. I actually cried after I heard the horrible news.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Not that it really matters in the long run, because Parkside is no longer with us, but my husband and I are back home just this morning from our SOBO attempt this year to attend a funeral (we'll discuss getting back on the trail later), and our shuttle to Bangor from Caratunk was Buddy Ward. He said that Parkside had a large inflatable mat and had put his pack on it and was attempting to swim and push his pack? Since we got off in Caratunk, I've not seen the pond or mileage there myself and cannot say if or why this would happen. Just what I've heard. His family and friends were at Rebecca's when we were in town, it was very private so the other hikers didn't get to hear too much about it. Such a tragedy.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

My thoughts and prayers for Parkside and his people
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    Since we got off in Caratunk, I've not seen the pond or mileage there myself and cannot say if or why this would happen. Just what I've heard. Such a tragedy.
    I respectfully request that that all "Just what I've heard" and other rumours not be posted here out of respect for Parkside.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I respectfully request that that all "Just what I've heard" and other rumours not be posted here out of respect for Parkside.
    Thank you.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    That was not at all my intention - my information came from Buddy Ward, one of the foremost knowledgeable guides in that area. That's the only reason I brought it up. There's always speculation about this sort of thing and I only mentioned what Buddy said because he's so much in the culture of that area.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    That was not at all my intention - my information came from Buddy Ward, one of the foremost knowledgeable guides in that area. That's the only reason I brought it up. There's always speculation about this sort of thing and I only mentioned what Buddy said because he's so much in the culture of that area.
    Nevertheless, it is speculation and is not consistent with what I have heard from those who were there. I also respectfully request that to be considerate of Parkside and his family people refrain from speculating.

I believe Parkside summited Katahdin today. His friend Achilles carried his ashes the rest of the way.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I believe Parkside summited Katahdin today. His friend Achilles carried his ashes the rest of the way.
    I'm almost at a loss for words, that's one of the most tragic and amazing things I've ever heard. My thoughts and prayers are with both their families.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I am reading that Achilles was there when his friend drowned, diving in over and over trying to save/find him.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry for your lost and sending prayers your way.HS

Wow,that's all right,yep...right on!

Default AT Hiker dies swimming in Pierce Pond

In the blog that Parksides mom has, she did say the gang sumitted Katahdin Friday around noon. What an awesome sentiment of friendship shown by the gang of hikers that helped Parkside finish his journey. Way to go really goes all of you in the gang of hikers who finished on Friday, with an additional way to go to Achilles. A bond that can never be broken. Parkside is looking down on all of you in approval and I'm sure he is saying thank you.
    RIP Parkside. You will be forever etched in my heart. Looking forward to hiking miles in your memory in a little over a week.

Journal Entries
    Images

only the good die young

Images

Thank you to all of Parkside's friends who honored him in this way. I'm sure his family appreciated the small amount of closure this represents. Congratulations to all of you.

RIP, Parkside

That's...wow. Just wow.

Images

I second that! I hope Achilles can find some peace in knowing that he did an amazing thing for his friend. This is not to take away from anyone in the group (Catwoman, Swivel, Spiral, Germanator, and Drop Out) - I think they all are pretty wonderful for helping Parkside to complete his journey.

These wonderful people make me proud to be part of the hiking family. May they have safe journeys!

Truly a tragedy a lost life of anyone but someone so young. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. Never knew you Parkside but you are a true Hiker. Sadly you lost your life for something you enjoyed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++