WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Heads Up - Alcohol stoves are currently banned in CO

Hikers in Colorado need to be aware that there is a statewide ban on open fires except in campgrounds with specially constructed fire pits.

Here is the part nobody is going to like much - alcohol stoves are considered open fires because there is no off/on valve.

Hmmmm, not so according to this article:

"The ban does not apply to campfires in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed camp and picnic grounds or recreation sites; liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves; fireplaces contained within buildings; charcoal grills at private residences; or specific prescribed or controlled burns for agricultural or irrigation purposes." (emphasis added)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...78/detail.html

Says nothing about an on/off switch. In fact, if you read further the article specifically states alcohol stoves are exempt as well much to the frustration of officials there.

That said. I say common sense should prevail, especially considering what Colorado is experiencing.
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-18-2012 at 17:20.

There was a similar ban when I hiked through CO in 2002 which included cigarettes (you weren't even smoke in a car or tent). Oddly for the most part the trail travels in areas that aren't all that dry (lush green), certainly not like New Mexico or southern California.

Authorities also do a poor job of informing hikers. There were no notices at trailheads.

One dude's horse was spooked as he approached us cowboy camping, saying his horse wasn't used to others being on "his trail." He going to report me for smoking, even though I told him I was unaware of the ban and put the cigarette out in a tin ash tray I was carrying.

Another problem is various county (or state) bans. Trails frequently straddle county (or state) lines.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Well, they might not like my Esbit stoves either since I am the only "on/off" switch. Giving it the good ol' birthday candle blowout works great though.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I would think a wood fire in a fire ring has way more potential for causing unwanted fires,than a alcohol stove.....but then I've never understood many of the things bureaucratic type deprtments implement.

Images

I can understand the ban, if there is one, on al. stoves. they can spill and flame up, especially when used by someone that isn't very careful. Usually the bans, or any law for that matter, is made for those less fortunate in the brain department. Stinks for those that don't know though, so thanks for posting.

The Denver Post article was in reference to the governor's ban and does not supersede USFS regulations in individual forests.

I called a couple of the forest offices along the trail. The San Juans (where I live) do not currently have any restrictions in place for high altitude areas, but have phase 1 restrictions at lower altitudes. Starting next week they will have Phase 1 restrictions at high elevations and Stage 2 at lower. So until next week at least, nothing on the CDT in the San Juan Forest is restricted. Then I contacted the Pike / San Isabel office. When I asked directly about alcohol stoves I was told "no they are not allowed", then directed to this web page: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/...TELPRDB5374326 which states:

"Petroleum fueled stoves, lanterns, or heating devices are allowed on all National Forest System lands, provided such devices meet the Underwriters Laboratories specifications for safety."

The Gunnison and Rio Grande National Forests have similar wording that specifies only petroleum fueled devices are allowed. It appears that it is boilerplate language for Phase 1 restrictions.

They have become touchy as the first big fire in Colorado this year (the Hewlett Fire) which burned 7700 acres in the Poudre Canyon was started by an alcohol stove.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 06-18-2012 at 19:55.

Best thing to do is eat cold. Hard on us coffee drinkers, but better to do that than be responsible for the kind of destruction going on now.

Images

Spirit Walker is absolutely right.
    The best thing you can do to protect the trail for yourself and those behind you, in miles or years, is to go stoveless.
    It is actually not the hardship you might imagine.
    You can simply eat dry foods that require no cooking OR
    You can re-hydrate cook type food such as idahoans, knoor sides, minute rice, and oatmeal, by simply adding water to them in a zipock or plastic container and add TIME and AGITATION (hiking) instead of fire (aka boiling water).
    As long as you avoid anything with an Alfredo sauce (just trust me on this one..) every food you can boil water for is totally edible and even tasty when rehydrated in cold water over a longer time period.
    Idahoan Potatoes rehydrate in cold water in about five minutes. Noodle based Knoor sides take 1/2 hour or more in cold water. Rice based Knoor sides take an hour or more before they loose their "crunch" in cold water. Instant Oatmeal is edible almost instantly when water is added.
    All of the above suggestions are improved if you simply add the water to the food in your hard sided ziplock container and place it in top of your pack while you hike on for an hour before the meal.
    And i have not even mentioned spam and tuna burritos yet.
    Cookless does not mean you are limited by Fritos and candy bars.
    Teriyake is EXCELLANT cold. I highly recommend you try that flavor first.
    The time you save with a no cook strategy can be spent watching the sunset change color and the wildlife reclaim the evening trails as you hike while you dinner "cooks" itself all without attention, fuel, the weight of a stove, or the risk of burning the trail.
    Stoves will always have their place. In snow country they even have survival value (think hot water bottles).
    They are totally unneccesary in drought stricken, beetle killed forests of summertime Colorado and similar enviroments.

By the way, for coffee drinkers, micro ground coffees such as Starbucks Via, and Nescafe are quite good when mixed with even ice cold stream water.
    The crystal type coffees, like Folgers, not so much.
    You can have coffee on a stoveless hike but it takes a little adaptation.. Hey it makes that real cup of coffee all the better at resupply time!
    I remember Lakeland on the PCT in 2009 hiked an extra 20 miles just to get a cup of Joe in Oregon!
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 06-18-2012 at 22:46. Reason: spelling, grammer.. mostly spelling
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Cold cous cous is also quite good. Tastes a bit like tabouli. Dehydrated black beans and dehydrate hummus also works well.

Even at elevation, it has been HOT the past couple of weekends.

Finally, photos speak louder than words...this is the High Park fire on 6/9:

and from 6/13:

:O

Be careful out there....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Add Content
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

The logic escapes me that if you use a stove there is a high probability (or a certainty) that it will result in an unintended fire. If hikers want to go cold that is of course their option but requiring everyone to go cold because someone was careless with their stove is an extreme reaction.

....or just use a real stove! I have seen very few out of control fires on any hiking trail (almost always at shelters or camping areas) but all were caused by an alcohol stove.

geek

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    ....or just use a real stove! I have seen very few out of control fires on any hiking trail (almost always at shelters or camping areas) but all were caused by an alcohol stove.

geek
    A million singed arm and hand hairs of Whisperlite user's would disagree. ;D

Canister stoves are overall the easiest and safest to use...but every stove must be used carefully.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Ratpack View Post
    The logic escapes me that if you use a stove there is a high probability (or a certainty) that it will result in an unintended fire. If hikers want to go cold that is of course their option but requiring everyone to go cold because someone was careless with their stove is an extreme reaction.
    80% of wildfires caused yearly in Western US is from lightning strikes.
    http://www.helium.com/items/771694-w...he-western-u-s

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A million singed arm and hand hairs of Whisperlite user's would disagree. ;D

Canister stoves are overall the easiest and safest to use...but every stove must be used carefully.
    Mags, I agree totally....I wouldn't own a Whisperlite either (lol) I have just seen too many "accidents" with alcohol stoves (including myself) to condone their use. Canister is the safest, most efficient and lightest way to go.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    ?....I have just seen too many "accidents" with alcohol stoves (including myself) to condone their use. .....

Hmmm, I've never seen any "accidents" with alcohol stoves on my entire thru hike. Go figure.......
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-19-2012 at 14:45.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Hmmm, I've never seen any "accidents" with alcohol stoves on my entire thru hike. Go figure.......
    Yeah it's not really an issue on the AT but out west all it takes is a gust of wind to knock over your stove and there's the potential to start a 30,000 acre forest fire real quick.

Mother Nature loves to play with fire

One observation is people cooking in a shelter,and if a alcohol stoves tipped over and alcohol drips between the boards,that could be a serious problem,but unfortunately many don't use common sense,or are incapable of seeing the pit falls of an improper set-up.Still I would think a wood camp fire with all it's fly away ash,would start fires much more easily than an alcohol stove.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++