WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Angry I'm a container filled with mosquitoe sweets; what can I do?

So me and my dad are planing to back country camping in the Grayson Highlands State Parke area (also I'm 12). And I'm like the sugar for the mosquitoes. What can I do for it. We have spray repellant but it always stinks and its sticky. What else is there?

thanks,
    Owlet

Images

Hi Owlet!

Welcome to the forums! Your trip sounds very exciting!

I'm not as experienced as some of the other folks around here, and I'm sure they'll chime in, but I live in Maine and we have our fair share of mosquitos here!

I wear one a head net sometimes when the bugs are bad, like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-MO...D-NET/13848609

I got mine at Walmart, and they are not expensive. I found it helped keep the bugs off my face.

Good luck with your hike!

We were on Isle Royale canoeing one year that the mosquitos were extremely abundant. A father and his two sons had complete bug net jackets. The were much better off than we were with our head nets. We live in the UP in Michigan and my wife and I purchased our own bug jackets shortly after we returned home. You should be able to find them at Cabelas.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh Hi, Welcome... ( trail names are about to be really,,,, awkward) ... So Owlet. Have you considered ....well hmmm ... This product,,,,..

asj-303_1z.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I think that my Dad has some of that, but will it fit in with all of the gear, well, i meant is it light weight?

I think I'll go without, but thank you anyways.

Images

I've hiked there in Spring and Summer and don't remember mosquitoes. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I've tried some non-deet repellant but it never works for me. Long sleeve shirts and pants can be helpful but if it's hot and humid you might just prefer getting bit. Mosquitoes will be worse around water sources so when it's bad I prefer to camp away from water.

Images

Try this: http://www.rei.com/product/686229/3m...t-deet-2-fl-oz
    Ultrathon is a time release version of deet.
    You can repackage it into smaller squeeze bottles; just check that the deet doesn't dissolve the plastic.
    Tick borne disease are a problem also. Long pants and long sleeve shirts treated with permethrin help a lot, but are pretty hot for a southern summer.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea thats a better choice, I was looking for travel size. And do not go without -
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Try this: http://www.rei.com/product/686229/3m...t-deet-2-fl-oz
    Ultrathon is a time release version of deet.
    She didn't know that Daddy already has some of this, on the fine advice of the people here.

-Daddy
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Owlet, I was south of Nantahala on Mem Day Weekend, and even with the deep woods off, I got bit by about 15 little black flies. That was 23 days ago and you can still see the marks where they bit me. Please, please do not go with out. Even though I got bit, it would have been much much worse without the off. They make little cans of it about 2 inches tall and 1 inch around, and it weighs very little.

I don't recall mosquitos being a big problem on Grayson Highlands from the many times I have been there. It can be kind of breezy up there which seems to help. During the evening, having a campfire can cut down on the bugs.

Enjoy the wild ponies, but don't feed them please. Keep a look out for "Surfer Dude" pony, who my son named because of the way the pony's blond mane hangs over his face at an angle. Your best chance at seeing the ponies is up on Wilburn Ridge.

Have a fun time!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

before during and after i usually shower with Octagon soap, it has no perfumes in it. There is also some off that is ina white can that is supposed to be ultra light, and non sticky, can't recall the name but used it in my back yard and never got bit....which is saying something considering you cant poke your head out the door without a bite.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and also will tell my dad.

Images

I just love the title of this thread! "a container filled with mosquito sweets"! I can certainly relate!

Mosquitos love me too! One of the best things to do is to eliminate anything with scent except insect repellant!

This means you use:

- Unscented Soap
    - Unscented Deodorant
    - No perfume
    - No scented lip gloss, make-up, etc.

Images

We looked in target an found no non-scented deodorant, but she's fine with what she has.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    We looked in target an found no non-scented deodorant, but she's fine with what she has.
    It may also be listed as "Fragrance Free" Deodorant and there are many brands out there.

Dove Sensitive-Skin Deodorant Fragrance Free
    Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant Unscented
    Arm & Hammer UltraMax Unscented
    Speed Stick by Mennen Unscented
    Mitchum Fragrance Free
    Secret Unscented
    Right Guard Sport Unscented

There are many, many brands and I guarantee you that Target carries them, but with their myriad of choices, it may be hard to find them unless you know what you are looking for.

This probably isn't helpful but, I've noticed that when I first hit the woods the bugs really go at me. The longer I'm out, the less they bother me. I'm talking about 2 weeks or so. I don't know if it's because I get to smelling bad or if I just get to smelling more like the woods. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Thanks a lot

++ New Posts ++