WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Experienced dehydration while hiking once when heading up the King's Ravine Trail on Adams. I will gladly carry some extra water rather than have that happen again.

Journal Entries
    Images

0 to 3 L, 1 L average
    David Smolinski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    As little as possible to still have enough.

If I'm going to hike somewhere I find out beforehand what the water situation is like and adjust accordingly.

It doesn't make much sense to spend $500-$1000 on ultralight equipment and then carry 4 lbs of water if it isn't necessary.
    I agree with 10-K! I try not to carry more than 1 liter! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries
    Images

I use an MSR ceramic filter. It's heavy. I don't recommend it. I plan on getting an alternative.

Right now I can get safe water from almost anywhere because much of the trail is a stream with blazes directing you to walk through it.
    David Smolinski

Right now I can get safe water from almost anywhere because much of the trail is a stream with blazes directing you to walk through it.

erm .... have you done the Bland section of the AT this time of year? There is one reliable water source between Chestnut Knob and Jenny Knob. That is at Laurel creek Rte 615. There is no section of the AT here that is even remotely a blazed section of a stream. You must have walked it during a constant downpour ! LOL. To date I have done this section 25 times looking for alternate water sources, dropping one contour at a time. There has been no luck yet.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Experienced dehydration while hiking once when heading up the King's Ravine Trail on Adams. I will gladly carry some extra water rather than have that happen again.
    Me too Jeff. Last year I hiked the Bartram Trail. It is a very benign 100 mile trail - nothing fancy or really challenging. Still, I found myself literally wondering if I was going to not make it to the next water source because I ran out of water a long way from the next source and it was hot as blazes. I seriously considered walking back some miles to a known water source even though it would cost me a few hours of wasted hiking.

But, what I took away from it was not, "From now on I'm going to carry extra water.".

My lesson was, "What did I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again?"

I did 2 things wrong... The first was I hiked by at least 2 water sources and didn't stop long enough to drink a few cups of water. The second thing I did wrong was I drank the water I was carrying too fast.

So I learned 2 things.... Don't pass up water sources and don't scarf down all my water when I'm still a ways from the next source.

Not: Carry extra water the rest of my life because I ran out once.
    Last edited by 10-K; 06-21-2012 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Me too Jeff. Last year I hiked the Bartram Trail. It is a very benign 100 mile trail - nothing fancy or really challenging. Still, I found myself literally wondering if I was going to not make it to the next water source because I ran out of water a long way from the next source and it was hot as blazes. I seriously considered walking back some miles to a known water source even though it would cost me a few hours of wasted hiking.

But, what I took away from it was not, "From now on I'm going to carry extra water.".

My lesson was, "What did I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again?"

I did 2 things wrong... The first was I hiked by at least 2 water sources and didn't stop long enough to drink a few cups of water. The second thing I did wrong was I drank the water I was carrying too fast.

So I learned 2 things.... Don't pass up water sources and don't scarf down all my water when I'm still a ways from the next source.

Not: Carry extra water the rest of my life because I ran out once.
    I understand your perspective. I could have stated it better as providing a bigger contingency buffer rather than carrying "extra water," lol. I no longer try to cut it close.

Images

I carry 2 smart water 32 oz bottles, they are much narrower than the gatoraid bottles and lighter than the nalgine bottles. They fit perfect in my two side pockets in my pack. I usually fill each up about half full if there are water sources during the hike, also I drink up at the water source. I have never fulled both up during the day. However I usually fill them both up when heading for the shelter or camp. Plenty of water for dinner/breakfast and coffee then next morning giving me enough juice until I get to the next water hole.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post

Cabbagehead, I assume you mean the trail in Massachusetts? Is it really that wet up there right now?

Last year I was up there the week after Hurricane Irene came through, another storm came through and dumped an additonal 7 inches of rain. I think that on the third morning I could have kayaked the section between Upper Goose pond cabin and Rte. 23.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I have the capacity for three liters with my Camelbak but take roughly two. For me that's about 15 miles on an as needed basis.

3l Bladder, that is rarely full... then 2 1l bottles. One bottle is for the dog, and one is normally used for Brandy or Cognac (for medicinal use).
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    3l Bladder, that is rarely full... then 2 1l bottles. One bottle is for the dog, and one is normally used for Brandy or Cognac (for medicinal use).
    I carry about the same, 3L for myself (up to 5L if it's hot enough and dry enough) A separate liter for the dog, so that I can pour what she doesn't drink back into the bottle rather than throw it away...Wait, did you say a liter of Brandy? I'm a fan of a bit of whisky on the trial when it's cold out, but I'd never bring a full liter of the stuff anywhere where I don't have access to a flush toilet
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I carry medicinal herbs that would go well with that Brandy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    ...Wait, did you say a liter of Brandy? I'm a fan of a bit of whisky on the trial when it's cold out, but I'd never bring a full liter of the stuff anywhere where I don't have access to a flush toilet
    I will sometimes fill one up with vino, but mostly I will empty a 750ml bottle into a 1l nalgene bottle to last for a few days... depending on who I am hiking with. I have learned that one CAN confuse the strong stuff for the H2o when carrying this way... makes for quite a surprise when that happens...

Favorite quote;
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

I will sometimes fill one up with vino, but mostly I will empty a 750ml bottle into a 1l nalgene bottle to last for a few days... depending on who I am hiking with. I have learned that one CAN confuse the strong stuff for the H2o when carrying this way... makes for quite a surprise when that happens...
    Yep, those nalgene bottles can be quite confusing sometimes. Best be careful with the strong stuff!
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

Yep, those nalgene bottles can be quite confusing sometimes. Best be careful with the strong stuff!

Yea, I have heard that... good tip.

Favorite quote;

With these, the wine lasts without oxidation. Also weighs less than a Nalgene.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/w...eserve/product

3 liters is overkill unless its hot out. I usually start out with 1 liter after I camel up.

Journal Entries
    Images

Usually none.

Varies pretty hugely... Last summer's PA section hike had some springs drying up and temperatures in the low 100's at times. I carried a gallon for that (plus a liter of my GF's to lighten her pack), and almost changed my name to "tanker"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++