WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Springer to ? in two weeks. How far?

I may have the opportunity to take a couple weeks off in a row next year (this is generally difficult for me to do at my company). I've been thinking that I might do a two week hike starting at Springer. I'm seeking opinions on how far I might be able to plan for. I expect I will be able to hike 10 to 15 miles a day, but I'm also in no hurry. I'd likeley be doing this right about this time of year, maybe a little eralier.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

It is 166.5 miles to Fontana Dam. Leaving a day of travel on both sides you would have to average 13.8 to do it in two weeks. I'm hoping to do exactly that next spring.

Have fun...

May do the same in 2013 ...."Pumba"

Images

I think NOC is more doable in two weeks. Most people take a week for Georgia, then a few days to Franklin, and finish up at NOC. Reward yourself there!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Shoot to do this in mid-May of next year. I did Georgia the first week of April 2004 and it started out very cold. I did Standing Indian to Fontana Dam in mid-May (actually two slow hikes with my newbie daughter in consecutive years) and the weather was ideal with few bugs.

I went from Amicalola to Standing Indian in 6 days (3 consecutive 12-mile days followed by 3 consecutive 18-milers to finish up at Standing Indian Campground). I was in my late 40's and in very good shape at the time. My daughter and I covered the 80 miles from Standing Indian to Fontana Dam in 9 hiking days, but if I had been by myself I would have easily covered it in 5. So, I think that you could get to Fontana Dam in 2 weeks, but you can always bail out at Franklin or NOC if things don't work out for some reason. I wouldn't attempt to enter the Smokies though (basically, if you have to ask how far you can go then you're not ready to attempt the consecutive daily mileage needed to get that far).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

I left January 2nd this year & hit snow & temps in the single digits, stayed over night in Helen, Hiawassee & Franklin had a great time & made it to the NOC in a lollygagging 9 days, I would say Gatlinburg/Cherokee would be a good stopping point depending on how well you lollygag : O )
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

This really depends on you more than anything else. It it were me, with 2 weeks off, shaving that down to 12 days after travel...I would aim for Fontana Dam (166ish miles) or Gatlinburg (205ish miles)

However as someone else said, you could aim for NOC, a pretty cool place on the Nantahala River.

Nothing in Georgia is that tough, however the section from NOC to Newfound Gap is the most difficult section of trail south of New Hampshire in my view, with a nod to the NOC to Fontana section in particular, but really, I find that whole section challenging...nothing you can do 20's through, but you are gonna know it!

...should read 'nothing you can't do 20's through', and this of course is my opinion only.

++ New Posts ++