WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Default On Line Journals

I asked this last year too.

Where have the Journals gone?? Trail Journals seems to have lost it's edge. No insult, but the current contributions are kind of spotty and not very exciting.

I'm looking for stuff like Stumpknocker, Wags, Gangsta, the Divas used to post on Trail Journals a few years ago. These journals were updated fairly regularly and were more personal in nature.I could get a good look inside these hikers minds/

I'm thinking the good stuff has gone to blogs, but when I search "Blog, Appalachian Trail. 2012" or similar, I come up empty.

Any ideas or actual blogs you know about??

TIA
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Balls and Sunshine post most days. maybe a few at a time until they get to a spot to upload them.

I've liked Badger this year. Funny, older guy.
    And the Troverts (hiking couple)

And for the young guy, Bomber.

All are still going. Bomber is already in Maine.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

For me the journals that I keep reading regularly are: Achilles, Troverts, Badger, DOS, Mouse

I also like jasonhikes.com
    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

I agree with T.S. - Achilles and DOS are two of my favorites. I also enjoy posts made by Cubby and Boston but they are on a different trail

Journal Entries
    Images

For whaytever reasons, some hikers are using blogger and websites
    Here's a few I found
    Journey North - Great writing, good pics, about his 2012 At thru-hike by Frenchy aka Matt French, funny writing, photos and videos:appalachianfrenchy.blog http://followingblazes.blogspot.com/spot.com

Following Blazes, good writing, photos, stats of 2012 AT thr-hiker Rayo http://followingblazes.blogspot.com/spot.com

Blog of Writer, scientist, P.J. Wetzel,
    2012 AT thru-hiker : Wetzel is one of the early starters and frontrunners to Katadhin this year http://www.pjwetzel.com/

And Zach Davis, The Good Badger has an even longer list here:
    http://zrdavis.com/appalachian-trail...an-trail-2012/

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh oh I mess up on the cut and past of Frenchy's Blog, Journey North - here is the link: http://appalachianfrenchy.blogspot.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Can't type either...

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Thanks guys.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Where have the Journals gone?? Trail Journals seems to have lost it's edge. No insult, but the current contributions are kind of spotty and not very exciting.
    The current trend seams to be to go to journal reports on Blogspot or Wordpress type pages where hikers can share their adventures while they ask for donations to pay their way. Although I've also seen this on a few Trail Journals where they figure out how to have a donate button and sponsors, it just seems easier on the other self published blogs.

I don't know who these people are that "donate" to a hikers blog, but I guess it's the price they are willing to pay to hike from a keyboard.

One more add for Emergen-C on a failed thru hikers blog will convince me how useless the stuff is.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

While I have seen some blogs that do ask for donations, none of the blogs I listed asked for any. Some hikers may have found it easier to post photos alongside their text or even include video footage.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaATMom View Post
    While I have seen some blogs that do ask for donations, none of the blogs I listed asked for any.
    You might want to re-check that.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

It's those dang kids today - they understand the technology alot better than us old farts do, and their trail journals are intended for family and friends, so they just use their own web pages and blogs. It gives them flexibility to post videos (very important and not supported on TJ) and use whatever format they want. I bet the average age of the TJ users has gone up pretty dramatically in the last five years as these things got more common and the younguns went a different way.

I'm following a friend of my sister who is keeping a great blog with graphs, videos, pictures, etc. and it is really very nice.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Images

Default it's difficult to post from the trail

Hi, I'm Mulligan and thru hiking this year. I have a journal at trailjournals but haven't had the signal or available computer to update in a month and a half. I have written journals foe everyday of hiking and will load those when I get the time. There simply is not enough at&t service on the trail and that is what I am stuck with. Currently I am devouring a "small" calzone at "Original Italian Restaurant" in Burns Vista, Va at mile 801.
    Seen 4 rattlesnake and one bear so far. Having fun but boy has it been hot and humid. Still planning on a thru finish this year. May update blog soon.

I've been following "Dos" and the "myaaka mules" primarily because they are closer to my age and I can relate to them better. I also read mouse, achilles, second stage and several others.

I can tell you the reason I use Blogspot is because it is easy to use and customize. I wanted to be able to add photos and videos easily and Trail Journals interface is a bit of a pain in the a$$. That being said, I read a bunch of peoples journals on Postholer while I was still in the dreaming phase of this journey, so I am also posting a copy of my blog on both Trail Journals and Postholer. I got a ton of enjoyment from reading other people's trip so I figured there might be someone out there, like me, who might get a kick out of reading mine.

~Frenchy
    http://AppalachianFrenchy.blogspot.com

I recently set up a Postholer account and will probably journal my JMT hike on both TJs and Postholer.

Hey all! Thanks for the mention of my TJ! This is Bomber. I finished on the 4th of July. I will post a few more, but not every day. I had a great time trying to keep the blog updated everyday. You can find it under completed thru hikes now. If you have any questions please feel free to message me.

~Bomber
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

++ New Posts ++